DM Rewards & DM Quests (Clarifications)

rooneg

Adventurer
When a DM earns XP, he can apply that to any legal character? For instance, I start running a new campaign - DDEX1-1. The party completes all five chapters, and I earn 500 xp. Can I apply that to a brand new character, who now is second level?

Yes, you can apply it to any character you want, including a new one. Skipping early levels is one of the most common things DMs do with their rewards in my experience.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Changes from Season 5 to Season 7 DM Quests:

(Note: some of these changes may have occurred in the Season 6 DM Quests, but I don't still have my copy of that quest card to verify.)

Initiate - must run 2 hours of Adventurer's League content to gain the reward in the DM's packet. (Previously, only needed to download the packet to gain the reward.)

First Timer - no longer repeatable in different locations to gain DM reward multiple times. (Previously, could gain benefit from first time running in store, first time at convention, first game day, etc.)

Traveler - Removed.

Bounty Hunter - Now provides rewards if running games online and a player is playing their first online DDAL game.

Saint of Ilmater - Only doubles 'standard' DM Rewards. (Previously, DM's Reward said to simply 'double the DM rewards', which some interpreted as also doubling any other quest awards which the DM qualified for while running that game.)

Level Up! - Must run a game within one week of your birthday to gain the XP, but Player Reward also applies if game is run within a week of your birthday. (Previously, you simply gained the XP on your birthday, and only gave out the Player Reward if you ran a game on your birthday.)

Quest of the Week DM - Removed.

Ethereal DM - Only applies to 'standard' DM Rewards. Also, to gain triple the standard reward, the stream or on-demand video must include (tag) D&D Adventurers League in a social media post about each session.

Martyr for the Cause - Bonus award if you are primary organizer of qualifying event that last 2 or more days and schedules more than 20 hours of play.

Adventure Calls - Now grants rewards as if were a player in the adventure you ran. (Previously, simply doubled DM Rewards for the adventure you ran.)

On/Off the Grid - Now only doubles 'standard' DM Rewards.

Giving DM - Now only doubles 'standard' DM Rewards.

Critical Eye - New quest. (I believe this quest did exist in Season 6/Tales of the Yawning Portal, but am not certain of this.)

Slot 0 DM - New quest.

The season specific quests are obviously different in what adventures qualify to satisfy the quests. However, some rewards for quests of a similar 'class' have changed:

Run all mini-adventures: In Season 5, if you ran all of the mini-adventures in DDAL 05-01 once, you could choose a common or uncommon oil or potion, while running 20 total mini-adventures gave 5000 XP and allowed for a rebuild for a tier 1 or tier 2 character. In Season 7, running all the mini-adventures in 07-01 and 07-02 at least 3 times each (there is no extra reward for running them just once) allows for a tier 1 or tier 2 character rebuild, but no XP bonus.

Run all tier 1 season adventures: In Season 5, you gained 5000 XP and a common or uncommon potion or scroll of a spell from the Player's Handbook, and for each repeat run could add a potion of healing to the adventure as a player reward. In Season 7, you gain 2000 XP and the potion/scroll and there is no ongoing player reward.

Run all tier 2 season adventures: In Season 5, you gained 10,000 XP and up to a rare potion (other than a potion of flying) or scroll of a spell from the PH, and for each repeat run could add a rare potion and a rare scroll to the adventure as a player reward. In Season 7, you gain 5000 XP but gain both the potion and scroll and are not restricted from choosing a potion of flying; the player reward is the same.

Run all tier 3 season adventures: In Season 5, you gained 10,000 XP and could add a rare potion (except a potion of flying) or rare scroll of a spell from the PH to one of your characters, and for each repeat run could add a +1 weapon to the adventure as a player reward. In Season 7, you gain 10,000 XP for one character and a secret mission for two different characters, and for each repeat run can add a +2 weapon or +1 armor to the adventure as a player reward.

Run all tier 4 adventures: Did not exist in Season 5.

Run all DDAL adventures at least once: In Season 5, you gained 20,000 XP, a magic item from a Season 5 DDAL module or a tier-appropriate vanilla magic weapon or suit or armor, and gained a point of renown for up to 5 of your characters. In Season 7, you gain a rebuild that can be used on a character of any level, and can free and return to life up to two of your characters who died while cursed with the Death Curse. (No indication if this award can be used to restore devoured characters.) Unlike other DM Quests, this quest specifically notes it must be completed during Season 7.

Run entire hardcover: In Season 5, gain 20,000 XP, a magic item from the hardcover or tier-appropriate vanilla magic weapon or suit of armor, and 1 renown for up to 5 characters. In Season 7, replace the renown with the ability to raise and free up to two characters who died while affected by the Death Curse.

Run all DDAL mods and hardcover: In Season 5, create a new aarakocra character with 6500 XP or rebuild a character of any level. In Season 7, create a new aarakocra or winged tiefling character with 6500 XP. (No rebuild option is granted in Season 7.) As with the 'run all DDAL mods' quest above, this quest specifies that it must be completed in Season 7.

My thoughts:

- Good to clarify that the 'doubling' quests only apply to standard DM rewards and not the DM rewards from other sources that may also qualify based on the module run (so no more 'hey, I get two magic items because I finished all the DDAL mods and did it Off the Grid!').

- Good to change some quests to 'you get rewards as if you'd played the adventure', even if this means most DMs will actually end up with less gold as a result of this quest than if they'd actually run the adventure and got the standard DM reward.

- Good to require a DM to run at least 2 hours of games before claiming the Initiate reward. Not sure if I feel the same about requiring a game within a week of the DM's birthday to gain Level Up! benefits, though I doubt that will affect many regular AL DMs; it might have been better just to make that quest go away.

On the whole, though, these seem like decent changes to me.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
Thanks for the update Pauper, I will update the main post with the changes for each season once I get a bit of downtime

aikachou

First Post
Cursed DM Question

For the 100 hours Death Cleric reward, do you only count the hours you DMed with Season 7/Tomb of Annihilation or does any DDAL/DDEX/Hardcover adventure count as well?

aikachou

First Post
I see, what about other seasons though? If you DM let's say Season 5 adventures, it doesn't have the Death Curse, but as per the DM quest PDF Cursed DM says: "Run 100 hours during the ToA season..." so I assumed that running adventures from other seasons count.

rczarnec

Explorer
I see, what about other seasons though? If you DM let's say Season 5 adventures, it doesn't have the Death Curse, but as per the DM quest PDF Cursed DM says: "Run 100 hours during the ToA season..." so I assumed that running adventures from other seasons count.

The Quest instructions state "Run an adventure featuring the Death Curse". Only Season 7 & CCC feature the Death Curse.

kalani

First Post
you just have to run 100 hrs this season. It doesn't matter what seasons the adventures come from, so if you run a 4hr DDEX3-x adventure, it still counts as 4hrs toward the current quest

Remove ads