Can't see new posts in the thread on harassment in gaming

MechaPilot

Explorer
I can't view the last day or so of posts in this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?482661-Harassment-in-gaming/

I would appreciate clarification about what's going on here. Is this just a bug, or are posts being deleted? Or am I personally banned from the thread? [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] said something to me in the thread but I can't view it.

So far as I can tell, it's not just you. I can't see past page 18 of the thread you linked to.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nothing is being deleted.

There have been a few reports like this the last few days, but I haven't been able to get a picture of what folks mean. How does being unable to view them manifest? Is there a no-permission message, a page-not-found, a blank white page? When people just say they can't view something, for all I know that's because they haven't turned their PC monitor on! :)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I haven't deleted anything, and there's no programmatic way to block a user from a thread. The plugin we used to use for that was a hack, and didn't follow along with later upgrades.

But I did ask you to not post in the thread again, Libramarian - you got personal and rude with someone.

Of course, until such time as the thread is fixed, the point is likely moot.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'm having a similar issue with the thread "Who Raises The Dead?" in 5th Edition D&D.

I can see up to page 5 of the thread, but I know that page 6 exists because I posted in it on Saturday (and could view page 6 then). On Sunday, I tried to look at that thread and the Go To First New Post button took me to the top of page 5. Page 6, at that point, was no longer listed (it's as if the thread only has 5 pages).

I tried to circumvent the issue by clicking on the Go To Last Post button, but that also took me to page 5. I also tried clicking on the name of the Last Poster in the thread and selecting View Forum Posts. I can see the new posts in the search results, but when I click them it just takes me to the top of page 5.

FWIW, I can see past page 18 of the thread Libramarian linked. I can see through page 25 of that thread.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Nothing is being deleted.

There have been a few reports like this the last few days, but I haven't been able to get a picture of what folks mean. How does being unable to view them manifest? Is there a no-permission message, a page-not-found, a blank white page? When people just say they can't view something, for all I know that's because they haven't turned their PC monitor on! :)
I had it a few times over the weekend on specific threads. Basically, the thread on the front page has the Replies/Views column and Last Post By column on the right. A thread I had been posting in would have data like "Replies: 289" and "Last Post at: 10:20 AM". When I clicked on the last page of the thread, the post at 10:20 AM would be the last one I would see.
But! I was getting notifications I was getting XP and being quoted in the thread. So when I clicked on the notification to see the post I was quoted in (because of my ego, of course), it would take me back to the thread, but I wouldn't see any post later than the 10:20 one, even though the notification said I was quoted at 11:00 AM. I could even click on the profile of the person who quoted me, go to "See Forum Posts", and I would see the post they had made. But when I clicked on the post, back to the thread, still no posts later than 10:20 AM. This went on for hours. I even made a post in the thread, which went through, but I couldn't see it or link to it. Changing the URL in the browser to go to a different, higher page also didn't work.

What eventually did work was changing the thread sort from "Oldest First" to "Newest First". Now I can see new posts, but reading the threads backwards is pretty annoying. I'm going to switch it back and see if I still have the problem.

Edit: Still happening. I switched the thread sort back to Linear - Oldest First, and checked the "Geniuses with 5 Int" thread in the 5e forum. I can't see any posts made past Saturday at 6:20 PM EDT, and I know there are a few more pages of posts since then.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I had it a few times over the weekend on specific threads. Basically, the thread on the front page has the Replies/Views column and Last Post By column on the right. A thread I had been posting in would have data like "Replies: 289" and "Last Post at: 10:20 AM". When I clicked on the last page of the thread, the post at 10:20 AM would be the last one I would see.
But! I was getting notifications I was getting XP and being quoted in the thread. So when I clicked on the notification to see the post I was quoted in (because of my ego, of course), it would take me back to the thread, but I wouldn't see any post later than the 10:20 one, even though the notification said I was quoted at 11:00 AM. I could even click on the profile of the person who quoted me, go to "See Forum Posts", and I would see the post they had made. But when I clicked on the post, back to the thread, still no posts later than 10:20 AM. This went on for hours. I even made a post in the thread, which went through, but I couldn't see it or link to it. Changing the URL in the browser to go to a different, higher page also didn't work.

What eventually did work was changing the thread sort from "Oldest First" to "Newest First". Now I can see new posts, but reading the threads backwards is pretty annoying. I'm going to switch it back and see if I still have the problem.

Edit: Still happening. I switched the thread sort back to Linear - Oldest First, and checked the "Geniuses with 5 Int" thread in the 5e forum. I can't see any posts made past Saturday at 6:20 PM EDT, and I know there are a few more pages of posts since then.

To follow on with this using the same thread as an example:

Using Linear - Oldest First the last page shows for me (10 posts/page) as 35, with the last post being by pemerton at 7:19 PM EST on Sunday, 11 April. If I switch my view to Linear - Newest First, the last post is by me, today (Monday, 12 April) at 11:49PM EST). The 5e Forum home page shows the thread with the last post by column having my post as the last one (which is correct). In Linear - Newest First, I still see only 35 pages, and, when I go to the 'last' post I can, which should be the OP in Linear - Newest First, the post is not the OP, and is also numbered as post 0, not post 1.

None of these problems exist in Tapatalk, where I can view the whole thread. I haven't tried the mobile skin.

EDIT: Problem persists if I log out.

EDIT2: I burned down all of my cookies and history (it was time, anyway), and the problem persists. I tried without logging in at all, and then logged in, same conditions as above. The thread only shows 35 pages.

EDIT3: AHA! Well, not aha, more, ahhh. I changed the number of posts per page from forum default to 20, and got a slightly different indication. Now, instead of 35 pages in the thread (Geniuses with 5 INT), I see 18, and the last post is by BoldItalic on Monday (12 APR) at 6:35 AM EST. So, I picked up a few more visible posts, but it still cuts off the last few.

Also, for easy of finding:
The thread:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?482860-Geniuses-with-5-Int

The last post with Linear-Oldest First and 10 posts per page (post 350):
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...5-Int/page18&p=6871800&viewfull=1#post6871800

The last post with Linear-Oldest First and 20 posts per page (post 360):
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...5-Int/page18&p=6872255&viewfull=1#post6872255

Hope this helps troubleshoot.

Last edited:

I've just had the bug come up for the second time. So a bug report this time

Weirdly enough it was in the 5e Is Warlock Broken thread but it isn't quite the bug I've seen before or others are showing.

I have my page set to 40 comments per page - and with 84 comments that means there are three pages. When I click on page 3 it takes me straight to page 2 (whether I do it from the front screen, within the thread by clicking the 3, or by clicking the double arrow for the final page). More oddly, I've just posted in that thread and currently have the final comment - and it's showing on the end of page two.

Edit: Even more oddly when reading the thread it claims the most recent post is number 75 which means that everything fits on two pages. But the information on the front page claims 85 comments and so three pages. Something isn't adding up, literally.

Edit2: The other thread I've seen it in is the What is it about 2e we miss? thread. Which on the front sheet claims 559 posts and in the thread 500 posts. Meaning that in the thread there's a phantom page 14 that I can't reach.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I've just had the bug come up for the second time. So a bug report this time

Weirdly enough it was in the 5e Is Warlock Broken thread but it isn't quite the bug I've seen before or others are showing.

I have my page set to 40 comments per page - and with 84 comments that means there are three pages. When I click on page 3 it takes me straight to page 2 (whether I do it from the front screen, within the thread by clicking the 3, or by clicking the double arrow for the final page). More oddly, I've just posted in that thread and currently have the final comment - and it's showing on the end of page two.

Edit: Even more oddly when reading the thread it claims the most recent post is number 75 which means that everything fits on two pages. But the information on the front page claims 85 comments and so three pages. Something isn't adding up, literally.

Edit2: The other thread I've seen it in is the What is it about 2e we miss? thread. Which on the front sheet claims 559 posts and in the thread 500 posts. Meaning that in the thread there's a phantom page 14 that I can't reach.

I think it may have something to do with the new ignore functionality. It's now a two way block -- if I ignore you, I remove not only your posts from my view, but also my posts from your view. Anything that removes posts seems to not play nicely with the forum software on post #'s and page views. You get ghost pages.

delericho

Legend
That is distinctly odd. I've been using Google Chrome on a PC all day and didn't notice any problems, but am now using Firefox (also on PC) and am definitely missing posts.

FWIW, I don't have anyone on Ignore.

Remove ads