D&D 5E Help building a Strong Guy inspired character

Hello everyone. This is my first post, and I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to decide whether to put it here or in the homebrew section. I guess because my brain doesn't work right? So sorry if this ends up in the wrong spot.

Anyways, Strong Guy is a character I have a lot of affection for, and I was knocking around in my head the idea of making a D&D character modeled after him. For those of you not familiar with semi-obscure X-Factor characters from the 90's, here's a snippet from the Marvel wiki:

"Strong Guy has the ability to absorb kinetic energy and use it to enhance his physical strength to above normal limits. However, he cannot store the energy he absorbs for very long; as a rule he must expend it within 90 seconds to prevent the enormous amounts of energy from permanently distorting his body. He is in constant pain from the existing distortion, although he hides it well, traditionally playing the role of team comedian to distract himself. An unusual percentage of his body mass is stored in the upper half of his body, causing him to appear top-heavy, imposing, and somewhat comical"

"Weapons? With arms like these, my fists are the weapons"
I guess I should point out I'm not trying to recreate the character 1:1. Rather, I'm trying to create a guy who captures the spirit of the source character. Obviously a PC that can lift 50 tons would be a smidge overpowered in a campaign, so that's out. The challenge now becomes finding a way to express his enhanced strength, preferably through punchies, without being overpowered. My plan is to build him as a tanky human fighter using his fists to pummel enemies. I keep coming back to two ideas:
  • Treating his fists as weapons (or even heavy weapons. He's a big fella, after all) for feats and the like.
  • Giving him hit dice for his unarmed attacks, similar to a Monk.
I don't know if one or both or neither of these ideas hold any water, but they're what I've thought up for now. I like the idea of treating his fists as weapons, and using feats like Charger or Great Weapon Fighting.

Is there a good way to approximate his ability to absorb kinetic energy and turn it into strength? Something like "when you take X damage from a single non-magic source (X being a considerable amount. Maybe 50% of Max HP or something?) you can make [some kind of roll]. If successful, add [some amount of damage] to your next melee attack. If failed [some kind of penalty]." I like the idea of there being a risk/reward aspect. It kind of meshes with the way Strong Guy can't store energy for very long without it posing serious health risks.
Or is this all complete nonsense?

I am totally into the idea of his condition being the result of a curse or a spell gone wrong or something like that, with whatever weakness or downsides that involves. My goal is to come up with a character with an interesting dynamic as opposed to a super powered crushing machine, so I definitely looking for ways to keep him honest.

I realize it's a tall order asking for help adapting a character most folks probably haven't heard of, even more so when he doesn't exactly gel with the setting. Maybe it'll at least be a fun thought experiment if nothing else. Either way thanks for any advice or ideas!

Kithas

First Post
So if youre looking for how to build this with the existing rules this is the right place. If you're looking to create content to help adapt the concept that would be for the homebrew area.
Unfortunately the errata for unarmed strikes hurts this concept a lot. If your dm is willing to give you brass knuckles or something like that you can still go the barbarian/fighter route using two weapon fighting and the rages.

Thanks for the reply. Would I be worth it bopping this over to homebrew? I think it would be pretty fun to create some custom rules for the character.

EDIT: I posted this to Homebrew so feel free to toast this thread.

Last edited:

Bardbarian

First Post
Try a Barbarian/Paladin of the Crown with Tavern Brawler feat. You can Rage for extra toughness and use smites to simulate expelling of energy.

Remove ads