WOIN Fantasy questions for raw recruit

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't give release dates, but Worldbuilding is in layout. Then we do an errata pass over all those books, before compiling them for the hardcover.

capmarvel

First Post
N.E.W notes keep mentioning the hardcover - which doesn't seem to be available yet. I gather that and all that other cool stuff is "soon".

Reading Fantasy Careers while I wait. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's going out to Kickstarter backers as we speak. Then it will be available to buy.

Attachments

• IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 324

capmarvel

First Post
Defensive question.

Looking at the Defense rules on page 44 of Fantasy Careers, I'm a tad confused on what I'm adding up. I'm comparing the rules to the examples from the Grey Fellowship (Sir Mandallen, etc).

To be honest, I'm a bit lost on what I'm adding to get Sir Mandallan's Melee Defense of 24 or Gimnor's Melee Defense of 22 (for examples). Sir Mandallan has skills like Swords 3, etc that I'm not clear on how applies to the value (if at all).

Can someone step through one of these sample characters (like Sir Mandallan's) and give exactly how the 24 was derived?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Last thing before I go to bed. :)

OK, here we go; these assume the characters are using the listed equipment (sword and shield for Mandallan, knife for Gimnor). If not using those weapons, the scores change. For example, if Mandallan drops his sword, he doesn't get that 2d6 from swords, so his MELEE DEFENSE drops down to 17.

Mandallan

Dice pool:
STR (3d6)
Swords (2d6)
Total 5d6 = 18

Mods:
Medium shield +4
Shieldbearer exploit +4
Medium armour -2

Total 24

And here's Gimnor:

Dice pool:
AGI (3d6)
Knives (2d6)
Total 5d6 = 18

Mods:
Size small +4

Total 22
SaveSave

capmarvel

First Post
I actually didn't do "terrible" with doing that...

One thing that tripped me up was Mandallan's "medium armor 1 (1d6)" - I wanted to factor that in. Can you explain what "medium armor 1 (1d6)" really means or does?

Also Skill question:

For a one-shot game or a con game (for example), would there be any point in having a Skill at even Skill Levels since you don't get any additional benefit? For example, Piloting 1 and Piloting 2 would both be 1d6. In a longer campaign, Piloting 2 would be "good" because it means you can get it to Piloting 3 and then get the 2d6. Correct?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
One thing that tripped me up was Mandallan's "medium armor 1 (1d6)" - I wanted to factor that in. Can you explain what "medium armor 1 (1d6)" really means or does?

It'll factor in if he gets high quality armour, as you need an appropriate skill level to benefit from the quality. Then the high quality armour forms part of that initial dice pool as the equipment part.

For a one-shot game or a con game (for example), would there be any point in having a Skill at even Skill Levels since you don't get any additional benefit? For example, Piloting 1 and Piloting 2 would both be 1d6. In a longer campaign, Piloting 2 would be "good" because it means you can get it to Piloting 3 and then get the 2d6. Correct?

That's a value judgement for you to make. Depends how much you wanted to "optimize" the character, I guess. :)

(Though it's not even skill levels - you get an extra die at 6 and 10, for example).

capmarvel

First Post
Thanks again!

Still reading ...may have more questions. (May?)

I may have to come out with WOIN Basic to trim some of this "crunch" just a tad. :)

PS- Is it Shield Bearer or Shieldbearer? Book has both. (Only noticed cause I did a search for it from Mandallan to find the actual rule for it). Though then again there is Standard-Bearer....

Remove ads