D&D 5E Parts of the game that get a lot of hate but you love

pdzoch

Explorer
Concentration rules.
Yes in spades. If implemented and managed properly, it really enhances the gameplay. On my custom spellcards, I include a special icon just to indicate concentration (as well as one for rituals). My players all easily recognize that they can only have on concentration (Blue Sphere) spell in play at a time. And that a concentration (Blue Sphere) is at risk if they put themselves in harms way. Concentration is as much a spell component as it is a duration.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Concentration rules.
I was all set to say 'nothing' (because, really, compared to the last 2 editions, 5e gets very little 'hate' at all), but, yes, Concentration, virtually the last arguably-meaningful limitation left on neo-Vancian casters, does deserve the nod. Thanks for pointing that out. Also: Attunement, for me it's a nostalgic-for-RuneQuest mechanic, but I still think it's a good mechanic for 5e, irrespective of that - though it gets very little 'hate,' you do hear people wanting to do away with it, a lone tenuous check on 5e's return to 'just better' magic items, as well.

I enjoy the slow release schedule. In 4e I bought very few of the books, but so far with 5e I've bought every book released.
So, still 'very few books,' then. ;) Yeah, I like it too.
I feel bad, sometimes, that I don't have /more/ opportunity to spend money on D&D products, though. Need to keep those FLGSs in the black!

Remove ads