[Oct 2016] What Are You Reading?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Just finished Guy Kay's latest. Another well written book. I quite enjoyed this one. If you haven't, you should read his books.

Not sure what is next....red rising? The arm? The light fantastic? The three body problem? All are in my electronic stack....

I read that when it first came out (1980?). There is a sequel, whose title I forget.
The books were written during the late 1970s to point out how the Cold War could turn hot - from that base point. Much like the Twilight:2000 background, the books went obsolete immediately after the USSR ceased to exist.
(I still haven't figured out the explanation for why Sweden's activities was completely ignored in the first book.)

The sequel is The Third World War: The Untold Story, which is more of an update than a sequel. But my copy is falling apart :(. I wish it was available via kindle, like a couple of other out of print books I have. (War Day and C.A.D.S. book 1 )

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I hate to say it, but it is pretty bad. It could just be my recollection, but it felt like Leiber suddenly started collaborating with Piers Anthony at his perviest.

Major spoilers:

https://dialhforhouston.wordpress.c...fritz-leibers-the-knight-and-knave-of-swords/

I remember liking PA when I was a kid and reading the incarnations of immortality series, before realizing just what a perv PA was. The Satan book is full of pro-pedophile stuff.

That review is pretty brutal. But not as brutal as a Piers Anthony book.

Janx

Hero
I haven't read Piers Anthony since high school, and that was just his Xanth stuff.

At the moment, I am reading Simon Pegg's autobiography in dead tree form. I'm not used to a non-backlit reading surface so I have to wear my forehead mounted utility light thingy because I am getting old and the lighting in my bedroom sucks for reading on paper.

the book is alright, funny at times, which is to be expected.

Remove ads