[Oct 2016] What Are You Reading?

Richards

Legend
I finished Crimson Shore last night - I always gobble Pendergast novels up in no time, as they're hard to put down - and am now starting a book by one of the Pendergast authors, Lincoln Child. This one is called The Forgotten Room, and it's apparently part thriller, part locked-room mystery. It really doesn't matter to me; Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston are on my list of authors whose works I'll buy pretty much anything of sight unseen, because they've yet to fail to be awesome.

Johnathan

Jhaelen

First Post
I've finished 'Penric and the Shaman'. I liked it better than the first novella because it gave some interesting insight into how Shamanism works in the 'World of the Five Gods'.

Next up is 'The Three-Body Problem' by Liu Cixin. This should be interesting; I'm just a bit worried about being able to distinguish between the different characters because of the Chinese names. But we'll see...

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just finished Guy Kay's latest. Another well written book. I quite enjoyed this one. If you haven't, you should read his books.

Thank you! Really like GGK but I haven't picked up anything new from him in years. Most recently published of his I've read was was Ysabel, but that was the first I picked up since Sailing to Sarantium.

So, from his 2000-onwards stuff, any recommendations of what I should pick up next?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Finished Ancillary Justice and found it solid but not great. Sorry, I know a lot of people really liked it, and I quite enjoyed the novel aspects of the setting-building, but I didn't get enough invested into the characters to feel the tension of the plot. It also seemed (trying to say this spoiler-free for others) that with the amount of spent pursuing one phase of the plan, the next phase of the plan would have been worked out in more detail.

After that reread Hitchhiker's Guide, and found it so familiar that it was cozy to read but no longer really had the absurdist laugh-out-loud moments. Then I reread Snow Crash after suggesting it to someone. Dang fine book. And the end isn't as badly written as I remember. (If that sounds negative, I really like Neil Stephenson in spite of his earlier works feeling like he wrote quite verbosely for 98% and then rushed the end. He's one of my favorites, but that doesn't mean he's without flaw.)

I started Mur Lafferty's "The Shambling Guide to New York City", just getting into it now.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Thank you! Really like GGK but I haven't picked up anything new from him in years. Most recently published of his I've read was was Ysabel, but that was the first I picked up since Sailing to Sarantium.

So, from his 2000-onwards stuff, any recommendations of what I should pick up next?
I liked this last one better than the two set in China. I liked the last light of the sun quite a bit also. But really, you can't go wrong.

I'vee gotten an itch to read The Stand again,but I have a book on the way. Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2 The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan

Nellisir

Hero
Been awhile since I posted. Currently reading The Years Best SF: 32nd Annual Collection. Before that was Poseidon's Wake, by Alastair Reynolds; Munster's Case, by Hakan Nesser; and The Oregon Trail, by Rinker Buck.

Previous to those (and probably in September): Tau Zero (Poul Anderson); Gorky Park (Martin Cruz Smith), Red Square (same), and Havana Bay (same); The Gray Prince ( Jack Vance), and Speaking in Tongues (Ian McDonald).

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading Trigger Warning, a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman.

On the graphic novel front, I recently reread the entire the Garth Ennis Preacher series (I read them, book by book, immediately before lending them to my boss, so I'd have the events fresh in my mind) and Doug TenNapel's Creature Tech (ditto).

Johnathan

Remove ads