D&D 5E (Rogue's Guild) Adventures in Middle Earth: Over the Edge of the Wild

Name: Ceodric (The Dreamer)
Class & Level: Scholar (Master Healer) 3
Culture: Woodman of Mirkwood (Frugal)
Background: The Harrowed
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Secrets

image.jpg

Basic Background
Not the fastest or the strongest, Ceodric is a 20-year old from Rhosgobel, where he learned the arts of lore and healing, and embraced the animal husbandry of his people. For the past year, though, Ceodric has been plagued by terrible dreams. The dreams began as snatches - brief vivid images showing various misfortunes befalling those he knew, and those he did not. As time has gone on the dreams have got longer, stranger, and harder to decipher. But they showed glimpses of other places and as his family and friends grew more wary of his warnings and questions, so his need to travel to the places he saw in his dreams became stronger. Taking his pet hound with him for companionship and safety, he set out into Middle-earth to discover more about his dreams, and the Shadow he feels increasingly is to blame for them. He hopes against hope that his path is not set out in its entirety for him, but fears that he knows too little and has misjudged his interpretations badly. He has seen dreams come to pass, and come to pass because he has tried to stop them. For a young man, he is hardened beyond his years but always tries to use his lore and knowledge to heal those who, unlike him, the Dreamer, he believes can be healed.

[sblock=Stat Block]
10 Strength (+0)
14 Dexterity (+2)
14 Constitution (+2)
12 Intelligence (+1, save +3)
17 Wisdom (+3, save +5)
10 Charisma (+0)
Note: Wisdom without Hound of Mirkwood is 16, bonuses/saves unchanged

Proficiency Bonus: +2
Passive Perception: 13
Speed: 30'
AC
: 13
HP: 24
Inspiration:
Shadow Points:
Permanent Shadow Points:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Attacks]
Dagger +4, 1d4+2 (thrown range 20/60)
Staff +2, 1d6+0/1d8+0
[/sblock]

[sblock=Proficiencies & Skills]
Proficiencies: Light armour, simple weapons
Tools:
- Herbalism kit
- Pipe: Spend an hour smoking pipe while considering a problem, make ability check with +2 v DC 15. Success, make immediate follow-on check with Advantage. Failure, wasted an hour, but had a good smoke).
Languages:
- Fluent - Westron and Vale of Anduin tongue
- Conversational - all Mannish/Elven tongues inc Quenya
- Simple phrases in tongues of all other races
Skills:
Acrobatics +2
Animal Handling +2
Athletics +0
Deception +0
History +1
Insight +3
Intimidation +0
*Investigation +3/+5 with Advantage with Hound
**Lore +5
**Medicine +7
*Nature +3
Perception +3
Performance +0
Persuasion +0
Riddle +1
*Shadow Lore +3
Sleight of Hand +2
Stealth +2
*Survival +5
Traditions +1
[/sblock]

[sblock=Class Abilities]
Hands of a Healer (Improved Healing)
- 3 Healing Dice (roll 2d8 for each die)
- Take 10 mins = (die x2)+3
- Cure Disease, Poison or Condition (Frightened, Paralysed, Stunned, Unconscious)
News from Afar
- LM provides snippets once/Adventuring Phase
- LM regularly provide rumours based on Passive checks
- Active check: +5 once/adventuring phase to learn more about person/place/event
Tongues of Many People
- Simple conversation in any tongue of Men or Elves
- A few phases in other races – warning/insult/greeting
Path of Wisdom
- Double Proficiency in Medicine and Lore
Healing Lores
Healer’s Staunching Song
- Short rest, up to 3 people recover 1HD+Con without using a HD[/sblock]

[sblock=Cultural Virtues]
Hound of Mirkwood
Hound name: Hilda
STR 13 (+1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 12 (+1) INT 3 (-4) WIS 12 (+1) CHA 7 (-2)
AC 14
HP 12
Speed 40’
Bite: +5, 1d6+3
If target S/M, Save v DC11 Strength or have Disadvantage on next attack
Perception +3
Keen Hearing and Smell: Advantage on Perception re: hearing and smell
Adds +1 to Wisdom
Support: Investigation [/sblock]

[sblock=Background Traits]
The Harrowed
Background Feature:
Foreknowledge - flash of insight when encounter a new person or place.
Quality: Hardened - have already seen some of my dreams come true and, good or ill, they've steeled me for what is to come.
Speciality: Dark Secrets - I am certain that my dreams touch the Shadow. I am learning all that I can about it.
Hope: Not everything is pre-ordained - I revel in such moments of uncertainty.
Despair: I've badly misinterpreted my dreams and it's too late to change now.[/sblock]

[sblock=Equipment]
Staff
Leather jerkin
Cloak
Travelling gear:
- Backpack
- Blanket
- Mess kit
- Flask of oil
- Pouch
- 50' hempen rope
- 5 torches
- Waterskin
- Whetstone
Belt dagger
12 silver pennies
Hand carved game set
Herbalism kit
Pipe + pipe smoking materials
[/sblock]

Last edited:

RonanS

First Post
Thorondir, son of Thorongil
Male Dunedain of the North, Warrior 3rd level (Weapon Master)
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Power

STR: 14 (+2), DEX: 14 (+2), CON: 14 (+2), INT: 12 (+1), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 11 (+0)

Armor Class: 15 (mail corslet) or 17 (mail corslet and shield)
Speed: 30 feet
Weapons: Longsword (attack +4, damage 1d8+2 slashing, Versatile)
Short Bow (attack +4, damage 1d6+2 piercing, Ammunition (80/320))
Belt Dagger (attack +4, damage 1d4+2 piercing, finesse, light, thrown (20/60))

Hit Points: 28 ((10+2)+(6+2)+(6+2))
Hit Dice: 3d10

Armour: all armor, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Saving Throws: Strength (+4), Constitution (+4)
Skills: Athletics (+4), History (+3), Intimidate (+2), Perception (+4), Survival (+4), Traditions (+3)
Tools: None
Passive Perception 12

Warrior Features
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. This weapon must be a two-handed weapon or have the Versatile weapon quality.
Second Wind: You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10+3. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Action Surge: You can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Weapon Master: You have advantage while wielding a weapon with the Two-handed or Versatile traits if you are fighting against a creature your size or smaller.

Background ‘Oathsworn’
Distinctive Quality – Bold: You have no doubt that you shall fulfill your oath and accept any challenge along the way.
Enemy-lore (Orcs of Gundabad). Your oath is against a particular culture or someone within that culture. In the course of carrying out your oath, you have learned much about this foe.
Hope: My oath is a worthy one; it inspires others to join me.
Despair: One day I am sure that my fealty to my oath will bring great pain to another.
Skill Proficiencies: Intimidation, Traditions
Feature: Mighty Oath: You have sworn a mighty oath, one that is now indelibly associated with your name. The oath itself should be both suitably epic and possible to accomplish; “I want to kill the merchant who cheated me” fails the first test, while “I want to rid the world of Shadow” fails the second. Vowing to destroy a Dragon plaguing the land is suitably epic, as is overthrowing an evil kingdom.

A mighty oath carries its own legend and you often find yourself receiving aid from those who want to help the legend or even become embroiled in it. When you enter Lake-town, for example, you may find a merchant or two willing to donate a priceless weapon to your cause or re-provision you, while an eager young would-be adventurer may ask to join you on your quest.

The downside is that the subject of any such oath obviously wants to do away with you and if you enter a town or countryside that is beholden to the subject you may quickly find yourself in very difficult circumstances!

Fate also frowns on oath-breakers. If you ever abandon or break your oath, then fate conspires against you. Your reputation suffers and you become a magnet of ill-fortune. Such troubles tend to be minor at first, coaxing you back towards fulfilling your oath, but eventually the weight of them becomes so much that it destroys you in spirit if not of body as well (death is often too merciful for an oathbreaker).

Dunedain Traits
Speed: 30 feet
Lore of Numenor: You have proficiency in the History skill
Raised in the Wild: You have proficiency in the Survival skill,.
Languages: speak, read and write in Sindarin and Westron, the Common Tongue
Standard of Living: Martial
Starting Virtue: Royalty Revealed: The Rangers of the North belong to a bloodline of Kings, but they have learnt to hide from their enemies in the twilight years of their kingdom. Should you choose to reveal your heritage, your noble bearing will cause your enemies to pause, and your allies to cast away their doubts.

You may take a bonus action to reveal yourself in battle, by shouting an ancestral battle-cry or unsheathing a weapon of high lineage, for example, or by showing a device or coat-of-arms during an encounter with someone.

Your allies within 10 feet immediately recover 1d6+CHA in hit points. Your enemies within in 10 feet must make a WIS saving throw against a DC 15+CHA. Failure means they are Frightened of you for 1 minute. While Frightened in this way, a creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it cannot willingly move to a space within 30 feet of you. It also cannot take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If it has nowhere it can move, the creature can use the Dodge action.

Any enemy Frightened in this manner thereafter gains the Hatred (Dunedain) Shadow Action and will seek the opportunity to attack you and your kindred whenever given the opportunity.

In a social encounter, by revealing yourself, if the individual you are speaking with respects anything of the legacy of Numenor or the Dunedain, you are treated as if you were Favored by whomever you speak with. Additionally, you receive a +2 bonus to CHA-based proficiency ability checks until the end of the present encounter. Both versions of this ability can be used once during each Adventuring phase.

Equipment: A corslet of mail, longsword and shield, shortbow with 20 arrows, a belt dagger, a hooded travelling cloak and boots, seasonal travelling gear, backpack, a family heirloom, and a well-made blanket

RyraK

First Post
Poppy Greenmeadows
Female Hobbit, Wanderer 3rd level (Hunter of Beasts)

STR: 10(+0), DEX: 17 (+3), CON: 12 (+1), INT: 11 (+0), WIS: 15 (+2), CHA: 10 (+0)

Armor Class: 15/17 Corslet of Mail/Shield

Weapons: Short Bow (7), Short sword (5)

Hit Points: 25

Armour:
Light armour, medium armour, shields
Saving Throws: Strength (+2), Constitution (+3)
Passive Perception 12
Skills: Animal Handling (lure of the road), Stealth (hobbit), Survival (lure of the road), Insight (wanderer), Perception (Wanderer), Nature (Wanderer), Traditions (Wanderer)

Wanderer Features
Shadow Weakness: Wandering Madness
Known Lands: TBD
Ways of the Wild: Advantage on all Wisdom (Survival) ability checks when tracking others through the wilderness
Background ‘Lure of the Road’

Fighting Style: Archery-
You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons
Natural Watchfulness
Whether travelling, exploring or even resting, you have learned to constantly pay attention to the sights and sounds of the world about you. When in the wilderness, your proficiency bonus for Perception is doubled, if you are proficient in Perception.
Rumour of the Earth When you stretch yourself upon the ground with your ear pressed against the turf you can decipher the sounds of the earth. You can hear it groan when the enemy treads upon it, or echo the distant gallop of horses, or sing in tune with the rushing of tumbling waters.

Between each long rest, you may make a DC 15 Wisdom (Survival) ability check. On a success, the Loremaster must give you a useful piece of information about a quarry you are hunting or a place you are seeking. If you get 25 or higher as a result, the information gleaned may very well seem near-miraculous to others.

Hunter of Beasts: Tracker
Beginning at 3rd level, double proficiency bonus when making Wisdom (Survival) ability tests to track a creature. Furthermore, you may substitute Survival for Investigation when making deductions based on tracks, spoors and other physical traces.

Distinctive Quality: Energetic.
Your enthusiasm for the road is infectious.
Specialty: Minstrelsy. You are skilled at entertaining your travelling companions. This also serves you well when you stop at an inn or tavern for an evening.
Hope: Absence makes the heart grow fonder; only by leaving the familiar can we better appreciate it.Despair: My experiences against the Shadow may come back to haunt me – I don’t want to be home when that happens. It would put my kin in grave danger!

Feature:
Weather-lore

Backstory: "
The legend of Bilbo's gold excited both curiousity and hope..." Poudly able to say she can trace her family line back to the famous Bullroarer on her mother's side, the Meadows of the Northfarthing lived in relative prosperity and comfort. When word of Mad Bilbo Baggins's remarkable disappearance and return with riches spread, Poppy, still several years away from her coming-of-age began pretending that the many walks into town or into the fields were grand adventures instead of the mundane affairs they were. Livestock or the local cat were fearsome beasts to be defeated and passers-by on roads were monsters to hide from. When she came of age, Poppy's "Tookishness" never completely faded and she found herself drawn to the road. So, at the risk of becoming known as an unnatural Hobbit, she picked up a walking stick, said farewell to her family and, with eager abandon, set out for her own adventure

.Hobbit Traits
Ability score Increase:
Dex score is increased by 2
Size:
Small
Speed:
25 feet

Resilient –
You have advantage on saving throws against Corruption.
Hobbit Nimbleness – Yo
u can move through the space of any creature who is at least one size larger than yours.
Noble Pursuits –
You have proficiency with short bows. You gain proficiency with one artisan’s tool of your choice (weaver's tools) You also gain proficiency with pipes.
Hobbit Elusiveness –
You have proficiency in the Stealth skill.

Languages –
You can speak, read, and write Westros (Common Tongue). Whatever native tongue the Hobbits once had is all but gone, save for a few unique words such as “mathom” – an object one has no immediate use for, but for whatever reason, is unwilling to throw away.
Family Ties: Harfoot,
Wisdom score increases by 1 and gain Unobtrusive: You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.
Standard of Living:
Prosperous
Equipment:
A fur-lined travelling cloak, travelling gear for the current season, a bedroll, a backpack, comfortable boots, 5d6 silver pennies, a fine walking-stick, dwarf-made pots and pans.

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...Over-the-Edge-of-the-Wild/page5#ixzz4M5EM8iMV

Last edited:

GreenKarl

First Post
Bromm, son of Brodin
Male Dwarf of the Lonely Mountain, Warrior 3rd level (Weapon Master)
Shadow Weakness: Lure of Power

Bromm.jpg

STR: 16 (+3), DEX: 10 (+0), CON: 16 (+3), INT: 14 (+2), WIS: 10 (+0), CHA: 10 (+0)

Armor Class: 16 (heavy mail) or 18 (heavy mail and shield)
Speed: 25 feet
Weapons: Mattock (attack +5, damage 2d6+3 piercing, heavy, two-handed)
Hand-Axe (attack +5, damage 1d6+3 slashing, light, thrown (20/60))

Hit Points: 31 (10+2d10 +9)

Armour: all armor, shields
Saving Throws: Strength (+5), Constitution (+5)
Skills: Athletics (+5), Insight (+2), Intimidate (+2), Traditions (+4)
Tools: Woodcarving (+4)
Passive Perception 10

Warrior Features
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can re-roll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. This weapon must be a two-handed weapon or have the Versatile weapon quality.
Second Wind: You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10+3. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Action Surge: You can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action. Alternatively, if you spend Inspiration, you may give your Action Surge to a nearby ally as a reaction. The ally must use the Action Surge immediately. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Weapon Master: You have advantage while wielding a weapon with the Two-handed or Versatile traits if you are fighting against a creature your size or smaller.

Background ‘Doomed to Die’
Distinctive Quality - Grim. You no longer have time for the niceties of life; even when you do nothing, you have a threatening appearance.
Enemy-lore (Goblins of the Misty Mountains). Not only are you doomed to die, but you are sure by whose hands it will be. You won’t make it easy for them.
Hope: Though it shall end with my death, I shall push forward because I am the only one who can.
Despair: I know that when things are at their bleakest, I shall be standing alone.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation
Feature: Dark Foreboding – While they know not the hour or manner of their death, those Doomed to Die often have a sixth sense of sorts when in the presence of Shadow. They may not know exactly what is behind this feeling, but they can sense its presence grow stronger or weaker. The Doomed to Die can usually tell, for example, whether an Orc band is an isolated raiding party or part of a larger force being driven by something more sinister, or whether a nearby ruin is steeped in Shadow.

Iron Hills Dwarf Traits
Speed: 25 feet
Night Vision (Dwarf): Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dim conditions. You can see in Dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, but you cannot see in the dark.
Dwarven Resistance: you have Advantages on saving throws against poisons and you have resistance against poison damage.
Tool Proficiency: Woodcarver’s tools
Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) ability check related to the origin of stonework you are considered to have proficiency in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
Languages: speak, read and write in Dalish (older version of the Common Tongue or Barding), and can speak, read and write in the secret dwarf language.
Standard of Living: Rich

Equipment: Heavy mail, martial weapon, shield, hand-axes (3), a fur-lined travelling cloak, travelling gear for the current season, a bedroll, an ornamented walking stick, a backpack, comfortable boots, 60 silver pennies, woodcarver’s tools, a gold ring.

History: Bromm was born in the Blue Mountains where he grew up a fairly typical, if happy dwarf. He knew of the great Shadow of the world and of course became a warrior and defender of his people, but he also had a gift for woodcarving and loved to spend hours a day whittling and working with wood.

But then with the death of Smaug, his people moved back to Erebor and a mood came over the young Bromm. Somehow he just knew that his doom was short at hand. At first they started with dreams of goblin and orc overrunning the Lonely Mountain and putting his people to the sword. These trouble Bromm for some time but eventually the dream started to change. Soon he felt that maybe he could stop this massacre but at the cost of his life.

Bromm is moody and dark most of the time. He still whittle wood absently but now he does it as a reflex and with little joy. He drinks in moderation and smokes pip weed when it is available but otherwise he is focused … searching for the time and the place where he will meet his doom. He only hopes that the dreams are correct and that with this doom his people will be spared.

[sblock=BUILD]
STR - 14 (7) +2 hill dwarf
DEX - 10 (2)
CON - 14 (7) +2 dwarf
INT -14 (7)
WIS -10 (2)
CHA -10 (2)[/sblock]

[sblock=4th level Virtue]Broken Spells – “Spells of Prohibition and Exclusion”
This Runic inscription is usually placed on gates and on doors, to protect an area from unwanted visitors. You may carve these signs on a rock or on the bark of a tree within the perimeter of your camp, and their power will wake you at the first sign of danger. Carve the runes and go to sleep. You will immediately awaken if any threatening presence approaches within 30 feet of your camp.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads