D&D 5E Is the major thing that's disappointing about Sorcerers is the lack of sorcery point options?

I know that the 2nd least satisfying class after the Ranger, has been the Sorcerer.

I feel it's lack of satisfaction may have to do with sorcery points not having many neat options. As I feel they should be able to do more with them, though metamagic is a good start.

But it might just be the wild mage that's causing a lot of dissatisfaction with the class.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
The Wild Mage's table just isn't fun. I whined and bribed and pestered my DM to have me roll for rolling (and there's a dumb thing, having a chance of a chance of something happening :/) the table as much as possible.
The result? I rolled on the table twice.
Once I teleported 30 feet. The other I got mildly drunk. The teleportation would of been kinda cool I guess, but it was off of a Detect Magic soo...

I switched to Warlock before the next session.

CapnZapp

Legend
In my case, Sorcerers might get enough from a purely mechanical standpoint. But they are severely restricted in the theme department, and too many of their abilities feel clinical and soulless.

CapnZapp

Legend
Metamagic was a lousy fit for Sorcerers. Everything about metamagics scream "analytical mind", which is exactly what sorcerers aren't. If there was one class to give metamagics to, it is Wizards. (Or, perhaps even better, Psions)

But generally I wish metamagic was kept as a standalone subsystem, not tied to any one class.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I still like the sorcerer. I've played one up to level six. I did a lot of twin spell enlarge/haste which is fairly strong, played a fire dragon kobold sorcerer so my damage was reasonable and simple. I liked the small spell list that made it possible to build a wide variety of different characters that were still sorcerers. I think the favored soul unearthed arcana sounded like a fun thing to play potentially. Wild mage doesn't sit well with me because it becomes a DM limited deal... of course when I allowed it in my game I had it happen frequently.

I think they just need more different subclasses, maybe some that grant a few specific extra spells known, maybe some additional metamagic types to select from, etc.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorcerers should have gotten (much) more support for exploring a theme.

A Desert Dervish. The Winter Witch. A Storm Sorcerer. The Dragon Incarnate.

All those are "sorcerery" concepts. None of them can really be created with the very tightly bound Sorcerer class. Not if you care about being effective, at any rate.

With one exception. Everything about the Sorcerer class works if your mama was seduced by a Red Dragon. Then you get cool stuff. Taking the spells you were going to take anyway (Fireball) will feel natural and you will be rewarded for it.

Every other concept? Compromises, compromises...

If there was any class to break the regular bounds, it should have been the Sorcerer. Cold-themed characters being able to cast Iceball once per short rest. Water-themed characters getting bonus damage per round when they cast Acid spells. And so on.

CapnZapp

Legend
And finally, the Wild Sorcerer.

Not a bad idea, but this concept needs what every other concept except Fire needs too: more spells tailor-made for your "element".

Wild Sorcerers thrive on making a lot of Surge rolls in return for Advantage. But there simply aren't enough spells where advantage makes a difference.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Sorcerers need more spells- not known, but on their list.
For example there's a cold spell of almost every level 1-5, but only two are on the Sorcerer's list. Who's going to be a cold sorcerer when there's so little inherent support for it.

CapnZapp

Legend
I don't see a successful "revision" of the Sorcerer class like for the Ranger.

That is because the core concept of the Ranger wasn't broken, only its implementation (and arguably only truly broken for the Beastmaster).

The Sorcerer needs to lose metamagic, not only because its not fun to have to create a Sorc to do metamagic, but more importantly to create some design space for proper theme support (Winter Witch, Storm Lord etc).

And somebody needs to give it a new core identity. It still hurts from losing its 3E identity, now that everybody casts the way 3E Sorcs did.

CapnZapp

Legend
Sorcerers need more spells- not known, but on their list.
For example there's a cold spell of almost every level 1-5, but only two are on the Sorcerer's list. Who's going to be a cold sorcerer when there's so little inherent support for it.
Exactly.

Two things:

1) The system needs more support for elements that doesn't start with F.
2) The Sorcerer design needs to acknowledge that giving up Fireball is a hard ask.

In other words, no use dumping scores of ice spells at the Sorc if you're still asked to switch out Fireball for them.

Or worse, if you still take Fireball. Because what cold sorcerer are you that casts Fireball...?

Remove ads