D&D 5E Is the major thing that's disappointing about Sorcerers is the lack of sorcery point options?

Baumi

Adventurer
I wish they kept the Sorcerer from the Playtest. It had so much coolness and brought out the Dragon Theme perfectly.

I don't mind the Metamagic, but for me the Warlock is what the Sorcerer should have been. The Sorcerer is just so bland.. :p

ad_hoc

(they/them)
So you do, if your DM's kind.
But even then that feels too awkward. A major class feature shouldn't have to rely on another class feature to get it into the limelight, especially when it means you might waste that feature.

What's more it doesn't address the problem of the Wild Magic Surge table not being very exciting.

If you're playing with a DM who is trying to make you miserable, you're going to have a bad time regardless of the class.

Whether or not the table is lackluster is another conversation that we weren't having.

1. You make a roll. Use Tides of Chaos to get advantage.
2. Next time you cast a spell roll on the table.
3. Next time you make a roll use Tides of Chaos to get advantage.
4. Repeat.

It isn't very complicated. It is very powerful though.

Miladoon

First Post
d1000's easy, you just have a d10 represent the hundreds column. Seriously, we work in base ten.

Yes generating is easy. What I didn't splain was the hassle of creating/managing the charts outside of an app.

I read Tides of Chaos as ad_hoc reads it. It is not only a good mechanic but I love to role play chaos running through my PCs veins. My DM is quick to have me roll on the chart.

I wish they kept the Sorcerer from the Playtest. It had so much coolness and brought out the Dragon Theme perfectly.

I don't mind the Metamagic, but for me the Warlock is what the Sorcerer should have been. The Sorcerer is just so bland.. :p

It was amazing.

akr71

Hero
I agree with most of what has been posted, especially more support for non-fire magic and more interesting wild magic but the thing that bugs me the most about Sorcerers is that their casting ability is Charisma. Why Cha? There are too many Charisma casters (IMO) as it is... Sorcery comes from the character's ability to channel magical energy from within - how about Constitution instead?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
If you're playing with a DM who is trying to make you miserable, you're going to have a bad time regardless of the class.

Whether or not the table is lackluster is another conversation that we weren't having.

1. You make a roll. Use Tides of Chaos to get advantage.
2. Next time you cast a spell roll on the table.
3. Next time you make a roll use Tides of Chaos to get advantage.
4. Repeat.

It isn't very complicated. It is very powerful though.
I know of no DM who would constantly trigger tides of chaos (as most find it too powerful). In such cases the player is left with a 1 in 20 chance of rolling on the wild surge table, and that's if a DM wants them too. A 5% chance of something happening just isn't fun. What's so 'Wild' about a spellcaster with, effectively, fancy criticals?

The fact that their is no way to roll on the Wild Surge table outside of if your DM feels like it is also very annoying for a subclass literally called "Wild Magic" :/

Last edited:

Jago

Explorer
I agree with most of what has been posted, especially more support for non-fire magic and more interesting wild magic but the thing that bugs me the most about Sorcerers is that their casting ability is Charisma. Why Cha? There are too many Charisma casters (IMO) as it is... Sorcery comes from the character's ability to channel magical energy from within - how about Constitution instead?

Because a single Stat character would immediately break balance for all other casters. Even Wizards at least need Con and Int.

Charisma is force of personality, literally the power of your presence and soul. It makes sense that those with the arcane in their veins would be casting based upon their Charisma

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I know of no DM who would constantly trigger tides of chaos. In such cases the player is left with a 1 in 20 chance of rolling on the wild surge table, and that's if a DM wants them too.

The fact that their is no way to roll on the Wild Surge table outside of if your DM feels like it is also very annoying for a subclass literally called "Wild Magic" :/

I am sorry about the games you have available to play in. I would promptly leave such a game. No game is better than a terrible one.

The reason why Tides of Chaos triggering is up to the DM is the same reason why skill use is up to the DM. The DM is in charge of pacing. It makes no sense to roll for skill checks when there is no consequence for failure. In 5e the player describes what their character does and the DM determines whether you succeed, fail, or if the outcome is uncertain (and how uncertain it is). The sort of DM you describe could just say that walking down the road is a DC 20 acrobatics check or that every attempt to persuade NPCs automatically fail. That doesn't mean that the skill system is broken. If Tides of Chaos triggered absolutely every time you cast a spell of 1st level or higher it would become tedious. It should happen at exciting times (such as in combat) not when there is no possible interesting consequence from rolling on the table.

The problem isn't in Tides of Chaos, if a DM wants to deny you your abilities, they will do so.

I do think the surge table could be a bit better but overall I like it. The only thing I would change is to have the fireball scale or be removed.

Miladoon

First Post
I started writing a story using a Wild Mage that had a level dip in Life Cleric. The story is unfinished but I continued leveling him up in game. I got in trouble for making the Bard cry. I told him don't cry, we still need a fifth player that is willing to wear tights.

:cool:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I am sorry about the games you have available to play in. I would promptly leave such a game. No game is better than a terrible one.

The reason why Tides of Chaos triggering is up to the DM is the same reason why skill use is up to the DM. The DM is in charge of pacing. It makes no sense to roll for skill checks when there is no consequence for failure. In 5e the player describes what their character does and the DM determines whether you succeed, fail, or if the outcome is uncertain (and how uncertain it is). The sort of DM you describe could just say that walking down the road is a DC 20 acrobatics check or that every attempt to persuade NPCs automatically fail. That doesn't mean that the skill system is broken. If Tides of Chaos triggered absolutely every time you cast a spell of 1st level or higher it would become tedious. It should happen at exciting times (such as in combat) not when there is no possible interesting consequence from rolling on the table.

The problem isn't in Tides of Chaos, if a DM wants to deny you your abilities, they will do so.

I do think the surge table could be a bit better but overall I like it. The only thing I would change is to have the fireball scale or be removed.
I disagree. The problem is the only garunteed way to trigger a roll on the Wild Surge table also refreshes Tides of Chaos, which is a really powerful ability.

Outside of that Wild Magic Surge semi-binds the DM's alternative options to a 1 in 20 chance, which means either a player rolls for every applicable spell, risking it triggering at undramatic times, or it basically never occurs.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I disagree. The problem is the only garunteed way to trigger a roll on the Wild Surge table also refreshes Tides of Chaos, which is a really powerful ability.

That isn't a problem, it's awesome! Why do you think it is a problem that Wild Sorcerers get a powerful ability as a foundation for their subclass? Looks like good design to me.

Remove ads