D&D 5E Is the major thing that's disappointing about Sorcerers is the lack of sorcery point options?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The Wild Mage's table just isn't fun. I whined and bribed and pestered my DM to have me roll for rolling (and there's a dumb thing, having a chance of a chance of something happening :/) the table as much as possible.
The result? I rolled on the table twice.
Once I teleported 30 feet. The other I got mildly drunk. The teleportation would of been kinda cool I guess, but it was off of a Detect Magic soo...

I switched to Warlock before the next session.

You should be using Tides of Chaos. You get advantage on any roll and whenever* you cast a spell of 1st level or higher you roll on the wild surge table to replenish the ability.

*Subject to DM overrule.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Sure, but if I wanted a sorcerer who can get advantage, I would be a dragon/storm sorcerer with Lucky. I wanted to be a Wild Sorcerer for strange and amazing side effects... of which there was none.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Sure, but if I wanted a sorcerer who can get advantage, I would be a dragon/storm sorcerer with Lucky. I wanted to be a Wild Sorcerer for strange and amazing side effects... of which there was none.

You roll on the table for every spell slot you have +1. That isn't enough for you?

Are you talking about the feat Lucky? What does that have to do with Dragon/Storm subclasses?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You roll on the table for every spell slot you have +1. That isn't enough for you?

Are you talking about the feat Lucky? What does that have to do with Dragon/Storm subclasses?
No you roll a d20 for every spell slot + 1. 1 in 20 times a roll results in rolling on the table. That's a real poor chance of an effect.

The Lucky feat has everything to do with it. It means I can get most of Tides of Chaos (albeit with a depleated number of uses) without the baggage of the rest of the class. It's why Tides is unimportant to me.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I think the wild mage could be better if it was more about having powers you can't control and less about wacky funny things happening. Actually, on that thought, I recall the tome of battle classes being somewhat interesting at times because at least one of them had a mechanic that was well represented by a deck of cards with different powers coming up slightly randomly. Something like that could be interesting to me at least. "Oh looks like I've got the empowered fireball this time."

Miladoon

First Post
Wild Mage and Beast Master are two of my favorite subclasses. If I was going to change anything, it would be adding to the surge table. More effects! It is easier to do on the computer cuz I can find a d1000 app. Kind of a pain without that tho. 1000 effects really opens up the wildness.

Add another 200 or so beasts for the BM, too.

Ironically I am listening to Every Rose has its Thorn right now. (unplugged)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
No you roll a d20 for every spell slot + 1. 1 in 20 times a roll results in rolling on the table. That's a real poor chance of an effect.

The Lucky feat has everything to do with it. It means I can get most of Tides of Chaos (albeit with a depleated number of uses) without the baggage of the rest of the class. It's why Tides is unimportant to me.

You have misread the class. I suggest you check out Tides of Chaos again.

You literally get 1 surge per spell slot +1. In addition you also roll 1d20 for every spell.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Wild Mage and Beast Master are two of my favorite subclasses. If I was going to change anything, it would be adding to the surge table. More effects! It is easier to do on the computer cuz I can find a d1000 app. Kind of a pain without that tho. 1000 effects really opens up the wildness.

Add another 200 or so beasts for the BM, too.

Ironically I am listening to Every Rose has its Thorn right now. (unplugged)
d1000's easy, you just have a d10 represent the hundreds column. Seriously, we work in base ten.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
You have misread the class. I suggest you check out Tides of Chaos again.

You literally get 1 surge per spell slot +1. In addition you also roll 1d20 for every spell.
So you do, if your DM's kind.
But even then that feels too awkward. A major class feature shouldn't have to rely on another class feature to get it into the limelight, especially when it means you might waste that feature.

What's more it doesn't address the problem of the Wild Magic Surge table not being very exciting.

Jago

Explorer
See, that would be a fun ability, the Draw Cards magic surge thing, and fits the idea of Sorcerers thematically being very powerful casters, but without the control that Wizards are supposed to have.

With that said, I actually like that Sorcerers get Metamagic exclusively this time around. About time something was ripped away from the librarians and given to the class that is literally made of Magic. Metamagic is the idea of breaking the rules of Magic, so it fits the Sorcerer quite well: Wizards do things by the book, through rote and study and practice. A sorcerer may not be able to explain why that last spell they cast was exponentially more powerful than the same spell one minute ago, but that's how these folks roll.

I think the Wild Mage Archetype is severely lackluster, and @Creamsteak has the right of it that your spells should nigh-constantly be getting randomized effects. Maybe your Scorching Ray is Maximized. Maybe it fizzles and does half damage. Maybe you snapped it off as a Bonus Action, or it's taking a bit longer to conjure and now you're Concentrating on it until next turn. That is a Wild Mage, and that can be a lot of fun.

However, the lack of Archetype support is really what I think the class is lacking. Like was said above, where are the Winter Witches and Desert Dervishes? Half the fun of the Sorcerer is coming from such diverse backgrounds. Storm was a good move in the right direction, but I feel Pathfinder actually had a good idea in giving just loads of backgrounds. Elementals and Fey and Planar Beings and so on: put the magic backgrounds back into Sorcerers, allowing them to expand their spell abilities and spell lists too (because they definitely need an expanded spell list for each archetype).

Remove ads