Product page for Volo's Guide to Monsters updated

Oh that is a nice preface.

flametitan

Explorer
The product page for upcoming Volo's Guide to Monsters has been updated to include how the book sections will be divided, with the art from the Extra Life event, AND there's now a preview of the preface, with Elminster nitpicking Volothamp's words. Click on the image below!

Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.26.03.png

Chapter 1: Monster Lore takes several iconic D&D monsters and provides additional information about their origins, their dispositions and behaviors, and their lairs—above and beyond what is written in the Monster Manual.

Chapter 2: Character Races presents character races that are some of the more distinctive race options in the D&D multiverse.

Chapter 3: Bestiary provides game statistics and lore for nearly one hundred monsters suitable for any D&D campaign.
SaveSave

Attachments

• IMG_0549.JPG
    IMG_0549.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 13,281
  • Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.26.03.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-14 at 11.26.03.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 42,589

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
The exchanges between Volo and Elminster are too cutesy for me, as I expected.

For a comparison, does anyone know how many monsters were in the Monster Manual?

All good stuff, but by far the best news is the fact that Chapter 3 will have over 100 updated monsters on its own. There had been some debate whether the 100+ monsters would include those detailed in the "in-depth" and "PC races" sections, and I'm very glad to see it won't. So with the variants we've been told we'll be getting in the "in-depth" section, that's going to be a lot of new stat blocks for us to use in the game. I'm now much more stoked than before for this product, just on this little bit of new info!

Last edited by a moderator:

flametitan

Explorer
The exchanges between Volo and Elminster are too cutesy for me, as I expected.

For a comparison, does anyone know how many monsters were in the Monster Manual?

About 436 unique stat blocks. However, many of them are either not given write ups at all (such as the beasts and generic NPCs) or are condensed to fit multiple statblocks into a single write up, such as Devils, Dragons, Giants, etc...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm more excited for this book now. I don't need another encyclopedia of monsters. The origins, dispositions, and lairs (LAIRS!) information interests me greatly, though, and since I like a cosmopolitan setting, the races would seem like a good fit. I'd get that book even if it just re-hashed the MM, so the bonus monsters are icing on the cake!

The conceit of this being Volothamp's guide is good "plausible deniability" territory, and lets WotC go wild with monster info while inoculating themselves against (most) cries of puriists. The Volo/Elminster interaction seems a bit twee, perhaps, but we shall see how that plays out!

The MM has approximately 313 yellow stat blocks, and about 40 beasts from the appendix that you can't find on modern earth. This doesn't include the NPC statblocks or the normal animals (I didn't include swarms either, although the book describes them as being somewhat extranormal in nature).

Remove ads

Remove ads