Product page for Volo's Guide to Monsters updated

Oh that is a nice preface.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm buying this book mostly for the "collectibility" of the FLGS-exclusive version. I'm interested in the lairs and lore sections, and of course new/updated monsters, but I REALLY hope the whole thing isn't written like the preface. It feels to me like they heard us asking for more detail, like there was in the 2nd Edition monster write-ups, and decided to make us regret the request.

I'm buying this book mostly for the "collectibility" of the FLGS-exclusive version. I'm interested in the lairs and lore sections, and of course new/updated monsters, but I REALLY hope the whole thing isn't written like the preface. It feels to me like they heard us asking for more detail, like there was in the 2nd Edition monster write-ups, and decided to make us regret the request.

I'd imagine that most of the banter will be in Chapter 1. I can't see it not being toned way down, if not non-existent, in Chapter 2, as Volo and Elminster bickering about the suitability of races to be characters would be over-the-top meta. I can see it reappearing somewhat in Chapter 3, but probably mainly a few footnotes by Elminster in the monster entries pointing out to us where Volo got it way wrong (I imagine that we'll see something like that in the neogi entry for example, with Volo believing them to be a race native to Toril, with Elminster knowing the truth).

I see I misread earlier, thinking it said "over 100" monsters in Chapter 3 when it said "nearly 100". Granted, not much of a difference, but a bit disappointed that there will be slightly fewer monsters than expected. I still hope that the variants for the featured monsters in Chapter 1 will be appearing in that chapter - if not, we get the illogical propositions that either the variants will be described in Chapter 1 and their stat blocks will be in Chapter 3 (which would be such a massive inconvenience I can't see it happening), or that information given in Chapter 1 will be repeated alongside the monster stat block in Chapter 3 (which would be a waste of precious space). It would make sense to me that if we're going to spend a bunch of pages going in-depth concerning, for example, beholders and mind flayers, that the variant versions should be detailed at that point as well.

I wish we did have an idea of the lengths of the chapters, I'd really like to get an estimate of how many "detailed" monsters we'll be getting, and about how many PC races we'll be seeing. Is it November yet?

Actually in Game lore is very useful. Maybe Volo will present that while elminster gives correct answers. So depending on the PC you may give one or the other information.

I'm more excited for this book now. I don't need another encyclopedia of monsters. The origins, dispositions, and lairs (LAIRS!) information interests me greatly, though, and since I like a cosmopolitan setting, the races would seem like a good fit. I'd get that book even if it just re-hashed the MM, so the bonus monsters are icing on the cake!

The conceit of this being Volothamp's guide is good "plausible deniability" territory, and lets WotC go wild with monster info while inoculating themselves against (most) cries of puriists. The Volo/Elminster interaction seems a bit twee, perhaps, but we shall see how that plays out!

I think your plausible deniability theory is a good one, and fits the "rulings not rules" paradigm of 5e. "That's not what mindflayers do," cried the angry rules lawyer. "Says who?" said the DM. "It is on page 17, paragraph 3, sentence 2 of Volo's Guide to Monsters." "Volo's, huh? We all know how reliable he is."

I suspect that is why they are laying it on as thick as they are.

Actually in Game lore is very useful. Maybe Volo will present that while elminster gives correct answers. So depending on the PC you may give one or the other information.

I agree. Sometimes it feels like no one knows anything (what can that short ugly humanoid being with a "Goblins Rule" T-shirt be?) and other times every farmer, random orphan, and goblin cannon fodder knows who Demogorgon plays poker with every third Tuesday of the month, Orcus' favorite food, and what trashy romance novel Tiamat prefers to read on days she just isn't feeling that evil.

I particularly enjoyed the interjections of snark from Elminster in the old Volo's Guides. Infusing hapless, gullible Volo into the guides made for entertaining reads. Much like the commentary that used to liberally pepper Shadowrun sourcebooks, it gave them a personality beyond just being a list of information.

Not going to lie, out of all the "Canon" FR characters, Volo is my favorite.

Remove ads

Remove ads