Help me put together an optimized two-weapon fighter!

Anabstercorian

First Post
I want to produce a 12th level two-weapon fighter who uses two bastard swords and fights with great aggression and speed. Only the splatbooks and the core rules are allowed. Help me out!

Spatula

Explorer
There's not much to it, by 12th level you'll have had plenty of time to take all the necessary feats.

1st: Ambi, 2WF
2nd: Exotic Weap Prof.
3rd: Weapon Focus
4th: Weapon Specialization
6th: OPEN x2
8th: Improved Crit
9th: Improved 2WF
10th: OPEN
12th: Power Critical (MotW), OPEN

Plus an extra feat at 1st level if human. Power Attack and Cleave are probably the best choices for two of the open slots.

Keep in mind that wielding two bastard swords will give you -4 to hit on both hands, instead of the usual -2 that you get when using a light weapon in your off-hand.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Keep in mind that wielding two bastard swords will give you -4 to hit on both hands, instead of the usual -2 that you get when using a light weapon in your off-hand.

That's why he needs a Sunblade for his off-hand :)

Look into the Tempest PrC from MotW as well.

-Hyp.

Spatula

Explorer
Doh! A Sun Blade! Man, how did I forget about that one...

So, assuming you could afford one Sun Blade but not two, use the Sun Blade in your off-hand so that you're fighting with a light weapon...

EDIT: Hypersmurf is fast.

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Damn! I'll say! I think a Sunblade is a little bit out of my price range, but this is very good. Given that I'll be human, and Ambidexterity won't be necessary after 3.5e (unless it'll ramp up my off-hand damage), it should be quite managable to work in Spring Attack, Dash, and possibly even Whirlwind Attack. Galaron will rise again!

Anabstercorian

First Post
Damn! I'll say! I think a Sunblade is a little bit out of my price range, but this is very good. Given that I'll be human, and Ambidexterity won't be necessary after 3.5e (unless it'll ramp up my off-hand damage), it should be quite managable to work in Spring Attack, Dash, and possibly even Whirlwind Attack. Galaron will rise again!

Eldragon

First Post
Well if you are plotting to be in 3.5e. Then Two Weapon Defense is a must. Greater Weapon Focus and Greater Weapon Specialization is also good. But we dont know exactly what they do yet.

Spring attack is basically useless if you fight with two weapons. You need a full round action to use both your weapons, and spring attack is for a single standard action attack.

actually the -4/-4 for two weapon fighting with bastard swords is not so bad. I use that tactic myself. The extra damage you get with 1d10 and the use of the weapon focus and weapons specialization makes up for the additionally -2 on each attack.

on a slightly OT note: Personally, I dont like relying on magic weapons to solve my character's flaws. Being able to choose your own magic items at character creation is far to convienient for min/maxing. Sunblade is cool, but you should be willing to use the character in the total absense of magical items.

Remove ads