D&D 5E Spellweaver moster stats for 5e?

Haran Yakir

First Post
That's pretty neat! You just made it up yourself?
But without the multiple spell thing it lacks its uniqueness.
I plan to pit it against 3 9th level characters, so without the ability to cast multiple spells I don't think it has much of a chance.

Kalmarjan

First Post
The benefit of the 3e version is that it gives the 6 ability stats to go with the race to work as a base. For 5e, I've essentially given it a permanent quicken for all of their spells enabling them to cast a cantrip in addition to any other spell. From the War Caster feat, I took the ability to cast a single target spell instead of making an opportunity attack. I feel this fits it into 5e nicely, although it might be interesting to keep the spellweaving ability from earlier editions and allow it to cast a total of 6 spell slot levels, for instance: 4 1st level spells, and 1 2nd level spell. The Chromatic Disk ability is folded into its sorcery point values, allowing it to convert them in the same manner as a sorcerer.

Spellweaver
Medium aberration, neutral
Armour Class: 16 (natural armour)
Hit Points: 35 (10d8-10)
Speed: 30 feet.
STR 9 (-1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 9 (-1), INT 18 (+4), WIS 17 (+3), CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws: Int +7, Wis +6
Skills: Arcana +10, Perception +6
Condition Immunities: charmed
Senses: passive Perception 16; see invisibility
Languages: telepathy 1000 miles with other spellweavers
Challenge: 5? (I'm rubbish at determining challenge ratings, I chose 5, but it could easily be higher)

Shielded Mind: Attempts to communicate telepathically with the spellweaver, or to read its mind, always fail. A creature making an attempt must succeed on a Wisdom [14] saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell.
See Invisibility: The spellweaver has a constant see invisibility spell active.
Magic Resistance: The spellweaver has advantage on all saving throws against spells.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will - detect magic, invisibility, 1/day - planeshift
Metamagic: The spellweaver has 12 sorcery points and knows the distant spell and empowered spell metamagic abilities. It can convert spell slots and sorcery points in the same manner as a sorcerer.
Spellcasting: The spellweaver casts spells as a 12th level caster (6 cantrips known; spell slots 4/3/3/3/2/1). It's spellcasting ability is Charisma (DC 14, Spell Attack +6)

Actions
Spellweaving: When the spellweaver casts a spell, it may cast a cantrip as a bonus action.
Slam: +2, 1d4-1

Reaction
Opportunity Spell: When a creature provokes an opportunity attack, the spellweaver may cast a spell that targets only that creature instead of making an attack.

I like the overall concept of the 3E monster, and this conversion is great. The only tweak I would make is to put Spellweaving as a Trait, and change your Spellweaving as a Legendary action:

Traits:
Spellweaving. Each spell level cast takes one hand. (A third level spell costs three hands, a forth costs 4, etc.) The Spellweaver may cast as many spell levels as he has hands, in any combination. It must pay the slot cost for each spell cast, but may not exceed 6th level. Cantrips take up one hand.
Legendary Action
Vindictive Casting.
The Spellweaver may cast a cantrip in response to any another spellcaster spell at the end of their turn. Each cantrip cast takes up a hand, therefore he may only target up to 6 casters at a time.)

Last edited:

Haran Yakir

First Post
Another thing that should be taken into account with 5e rules is concentration. Can it concentrate on more than one spell at a time? If so how many?

Kalmarjan

First Post
Another thing that should be taken into account with 5e rules is concentration. Can it concentrate on more than one spell at a time? If so how many?
I think that since they live, then die, to be reborn, remembering all their past lives, it makes sense that they could concentrate on more than one. That raises the CR and power of this creature a lot though, I imagine...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

dave2008

Legend
I thought the spellweaver would just cast 6 spells per round.

Now I see the 3e version was more limited in the combination, 6 is the maximum but only if it's 1st level spells. But I think my version is a bit easier to estimate the CR of because in spellcasting terms it's the same as 6 wizards.

Anyway the number of arms is not really important, the number of spells per round is.

I know, it was just a funny thought (a band of 6 one-armed wizards) that popped into my head when I read your comment.

dave2008

Legend
With the contributions/suggestions of [MENTION=6788732]cbwjm[/MENTION] and [MENTION=49439]Kalmarjan[/MENTION] and taking into consideration [MENTION=6869697]Haran Yakir[/MENTION] party he wants to take on. FYI, an odd thing with spell casting monsters in 5e is that "spell casting" is not listed in their actions, only their traits. Anyway, here is a revised and slightly more powerful version of the spellweaver (PS. I actually used the spell table from 2e to roll most of these spells):

Spellweaver
Medium humanoid, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (17 with mage armor)
Hit Points 96 (16d8 + 24)
Speed 30 feet.

STR 10 (-), DEX 18 (+4), CON 16 (+3), INT 20 (+5), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 14 (+2)

Saving Throws Dex +8, Int +9, Wis +8
Skills Arcana +13, Perception +8
Damage Resistances psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses truesight 100 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages -, telepathy 120 ft., see also telepathic bond
Challenge 9 (5,000 XP)

Chromatic Disk. Spellweavers carry a 6-inch disk of an unknown and nearly indestructible material. The disk stores magical energy, containing up to 10 sorcery points that the spellweaver can use as a bonus action. Once the spell points are used, they are gone. However, the disk can be recharged by absorbing magic. The disk gains one sorcery point for each level of the spell it absorbs, up to its sorcery point maximum of 10.

Innate Spellcasting. The spellweaver’s spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The spellweaver can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.

At will: detect magic, invisibility
1/day: planeshift (self only)

Magic Resistance. The spellweaver has advantage on all saving throws against spells. In addition, if the spellweaver succeeds on its saving throw it may use its reaction to capture the spell in its chromatic disk. The spellweaver suffers no damage or effect from a spell it has absorbed with its chromatic disk.

Metamagic. The spellweaver has 12 sorcery points and knows the distant spell and empowered spell metamagic abilities. It can convert spell slots and sorcery points in the same manner as a sorcerer.

Shielded Mind. Attempts to communicate telepathically with the spellweaver, or to read its mind, always fail. A creature making an attempt must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell.

Spellcasting. The spellweaver is a 12th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The typical spellweaver knows the following sorcerer spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): acid splash, chill touch, mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation, shocking grasp
1st level (4 slots): charm person, feather fall, mage armor, magic missile
2nd level (3 slots): blur, darkness, levitate
3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, fireball, slow
4th level (3 slots): confusion, blight, polymorph
5th level (2 slots): cloudkill, wall of stone
6th level (1 slots): chain lightning

Spellweaving. Each spell level cast takes one hand. (A third level spell costs three hands, a fourth costs 4, etc.) The Spellweaver may cast as many spell levels as he has hands, in any combination. It must pay the slot cost for each spell cast, but may not exceed 6th level. Cantrips take up one hand. In addition, a spellweaver can concentrate on up to two spells at a time and only one spell is interrupted each time it fails a concentration check.

ACTIONS:

Multiattack. The spellweaver can make up to six slam attacks.

Slam. Melee weapon attack: +8 to hit, rech 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.

REACTIONS:

War Casting. When a creature provokes an opportunity attack, the spellweaver may cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action and that targets only that creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. This casting does not count against its spellweaving total.

Vindictive Casting. When a creature within 120 feet of the spellweaver cast a spell, the spellweaver may cast a cantrip as a reaction. This casting does not count against its spellweaving total.
Chromatic Disk. When a creature within 120 feet of the spellweaver cast a spell, the spellweaver may cast a cantrip as a reaction. This casting does not count against its spellweaving total.

dave2008

Legend
With the contributions/suggestions of @cbwjm and @Kalmarjan and taking into consideration @Haran Yakir party he wants to take on. FYI, an odd thing with spell casting monsters in 5e is that "spell casting" is not listed in their actions, only their traits. Anyway, here is a revised and slightly more powerful version of the spellweaver (PS. I actually used the spell table from 2e to roll most of these spells):

EDIT: I corrected to the CR and XP to reflect the spells selected

Spellweaver
Medium humanoid, unaligned
Armor Class 14 (17 with mage armor)
Hit Points 96 (16d8 + 24)
Speed 30 feet.

STR 10 (-), DEX 18 (+4), CON 16 (+3), INT 20 (+5), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 14 (+2)

Saving Throws Dex +8, Int +9, Wis +8
Skills Arcana +13, Perception +8
Damage Resistances psychic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing that is nonmagical
Condition Immunities charmed, frightened
Senses truesight 100 ft., passive Perception 18
Languages -, telepathy 120 ft., see also telepathic bond
Challenge 10 (5,900 XP)

Chromatic Disk. Spellweavers carry a 6-inch disk of an unknown and nearly indestructible material. The disk stores magical energy, containing up to 10 sorcery points that the spellweaver can use as a bonus action. Once the spell points are used, they are gone. However, the disk can be recharged by absorbing magic. The disk gains one sorcery point for each level of the spell it absorbs, up to its sorcery point maximum of 10. Refer to magic resistance.

Innate Spellcasting. The spellweaver’s spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The spellweaver can innately cast the following spells, requiring no material components.

At will: detect magic, invisibility
1/day: planeshift (self only)

Magic Resistance. The spellweaver has advantage on all saving throws against spells. In addition, if the spellweaver succeeds on its saving throw it may use its reaction to capture the spell in its chromatic disk. The spellweaver suffers no damage or effect from a spell it has absorbed with its chromatic disk.

Metamagic. The spellweaver has 12 sorcery points and knows the distant spell and empowered spell metamagic abilities. It can convert spell slots and sorcery points in the same manner as a sorcerer.

Shielded Mind. Attempts to communicate telepathically with the spellweaver, or to read its mind, always fail. A creature making an attempt must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell.

Spellcasting. The spellweaver is a 12th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 17, +9 to hit with spell attacks). The typical spellweaver knows the following sorcerer spells prepared:

Cantrips (at will): acid splash, chill touch, mage hand, minor illusion, prestidigitation, shocking grasp
1st level (4 slots): charm person, feather fall, mage armor, magic missile
2nd level (3 slots): blur, darkness, levitate
3rd level (3 slots): dispel magic, fireball, slow
4th level (3 slots): confusion, blight, polymorph
5th level (2 slots): cloudkill, wall of stone
6th level (1 slots): chain lightning

Spellweaving. Each spell level cast takes one hand. (A third level spell costs three hands, a fourth costs 4, etc.) The Spellweaver may cast as many spell levels as he has hands, in any combination. It must pay the slot cost for each spell cast, but may not exceed 6th level. Cantrips take up one hand. In addition, a spellweaver can concentrate on up to two spells at a time and only one spell is interrupted each time it fails a concentration check.

ACTIONS:

Multiattack. The spellweaver can make up to six slam attacks.

Slam. Melee weapon attack: +8 to hit, rech 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.

REACTIONS:

War Casting. When a creature provokes an opportunity attack, the spellweaver may cast a spell with a casting time of 1 action and that targets only that creature, rather than making an opportunity attack. This casting does not count against its spellweaving total, but it does cost 1 sorcery point.

Vindictive Casting. When a creature within 120 feet of the spellweaver cast a spell, the spellweaver may cast a cantrip as a reaction. This casting does not count against its spellweaving total, but it does cost 1 sorcery point.

Last edited:

Haran Yakir

First Post
Very nice. I might change the spell selection though. Also, it seems to have more than one reaction per round?
Btw, how did you decide it's a CR 9?

dave2008

Legend
Very nice. I might change the spell selection though. Also, it seems to have more than one reaction per round?
Btw, how did you decide it's a CR 9?

Spells: I would definitely suggesting changing the spells. Like I said, I used the 2e random spell generator in the Monstrous Manual entry for Spell Weavers. This guys are too smart for that really :)

Reactions: No, it still only get's one reaction per round. It just as three different reactions it could use. Just like PCs can always take OA as a reaction, but you can also cast counterspell. You have options, but can only use one at a time.

CR: Per the DMG the Defensive CR came out to 8 and chain lightning alone would give it an offensive CR of 9, for a total CR of 8.5 and I rounded it up to 9 because it has other spells too, heck with fireball it might justify CR 10. The offensive CR is very dependent on the spells you choose.

EDIT. I just checked and this should be a CR 10 with the spells selected as the offensive CR comes out to 12. I have corrected that now.

Remove ads