D&D 5E Spellweaver moster stats for 5e?

Haran Yakir

First Post
I'm looking for stats for a Spellweaver for 5e. It's a monster with 6 arms that casts multiple spells per turn. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or, if no one else has done it yet, suggest how I would convert this monster to 5e?

Thanks!

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm looking for stats for a Spellweaver for 5e. It's a monster with 6 arms that casts multiple spells per turn. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Or, if no one else has done it yet, suggest how I would convert this monster to 5e?

Thanks!

I would take 6 Wizard NPCs of the same level, and "stack them up" on the same spot. They act on the same initiative count and move together. They share the same conditions (both good and bad). CR is about the same as when separate.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Go wizard and give them a permanent quicken spell so that they can cast 1 spell and 1 cantrip every turn and then give them the ability to use their reaction to cast a cantrip or a spell either at the start, during, or at the end of a player's turn.

dave2008

Legend
I would take 6 Wizard NPCs of the same level, and "stack them up" on the same spot. They act on the same initiative count and move together. They share the same conditions (both good and bad). CR is about the same as when separate.

Wouldn't that be 3 wizard NPCs? Unless you are talking 6 1-armed wizards of course ;)

dave2008

Legend

Thanks!

Do you have any more information on previous edition versions? What was its CR or HD? That would help a lot.

dave2008

Legend
Well, I just looked them up and I noticed that in 2e they have the same hit dice as a Glabrezu demon (though much worse AC), so I think that would be a good place to start.

Very interesting monsters. I would love to see a 5e version as well.

Haran Yakir

First Post
They also appear in the 3e MM2
spellweaver.png

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
They also appear in the 3e MM2
View attachment 79223

The benefit of the 3e version is that it gives the 6 ability stats to go with the race to work as a base. For 5e, I've essentially given it a permanent quicken for all of their spells enabling them to cast a cantrip in addition to any other spell. From the War Caster feat, I took the ability to cast a single target spell instead of making an opportunity attack. I feel this fits it into 5e nicely, although it might be interesting to keep the spellweaving ability from earlier editions and allow it to cast a total of 6 spell slot levels, for instance: 4 1st level spells, and 1 2nd level spell. The Chromatic Disk ability is folded into its sorcery point values, allowing it to convert them in the same manner as a sorcerer.

Spellweaver
Medium aberration, neutral
Armour Class: 16 (natural armour)
Hit Points: 35 (10d8-10)
Speed: 30 feet.
STR 9 (-1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 9 (-1), INT 18 (+4), WIS 17 (+3), CHA 16 (+3)
Saving Throws: Int +7, Wis +6
Skills: Arcana +10, Perception +6
Condition Immunities: charmed
Senses: passive Perception 16; see invisibility
Languages: telepathy 1000 miles with other spellweavers
Challenge: 5? (I'm rubbish at determining challenge ratings, I chose 5, but it could easily be higher)

Shielded Mind: Attempts to communicate telepathically with the spellweaver, or to read its mind, always fail. A creature making an attempt must succeed on a Wisdom [14] saving throw or be affected by a confusion spell.
See Invisibility: The spellweaver has a constant see invisibility spell active.
Magic Resistance: The spellweaver has advantage on all saving throws against spells.
Spell-Like Abilities: At will - detect magic, invisibility, 1/day - planeshift
Metamagic: The spellweaver has 12 sorcery points and knows the distant spell and empowered spell metamagic abilities. It can convert spell slots and sorcery points in the same manner as a sorcerer.
Spellcasting: The spellweaver casts spells as a 12th level caster (6 cantrips known; spell slots 4/3/3/3/2/1). It's spellcasting ability is Charisma (DC 14, Spell Attack +6)

Actions
Spellweaving: When the spellweaver casts a spell, it may cast a cantrip as a bonus action.
Slam: +2, 1d4-1

Reaction
Opportunity Spell: When a creature provokes an opportunity attack, the spellweaver may cast a spell that targets only that creature instead of making an attack.

Li Shenron

Legend
Wouldn't that be 3 wizard NPCs? Unless you are talking 6 1-armed wizards of course ;)

I thought the spellweaver would just cast 6 spells per round.

Now I see the 3e version was more limited in the combination, 6 is the maximum but only if it's 1st level spells. But I think my version is a bit easier to estimate the CR of because in spellcasting terms it's the same as 6 wizards.

Anyway the number of arms is not really important, the number of spells per round is.

Remove ads