What is the most damage you've ever seen a character do in one round?

Grog

First Post
I'm not talking about smackdowns here. What's the most damage you've ever seen a single character do in one round in actual play?

The most I can remember is a 17th level rogue, flanking, dual wielding two flaming shocking keen shortswords, and hasted. Six attacks, all hit, two crits, damage was 74d6 + modifiers (which were significant). I don't remember the exact damage, but we just decided there was a smoking crater where the monster used to be...

This wasn't even a particularly munchkinized character, either - he had powerful weapons, but the rest of his gear was pretty standard for his level.

I'm sure someone out there can probably top this, though.

King_Stannis

Explorer
Grog said:
I'm not talking about smackdowns here. What's the most damage you've ever seen a single character do in one round in actual play?

The most I can remember is a 17th level rogue, flanking, dual wielding two flaming shocking keen shortswords, and hasted. Six attacks, all hit, two crits, damage was 74d6 + modifiers (which were significant). I don't remember the exact damage, but we just decided there was a smoking crater where the monster used to be...

This wasn't even a particularly munchkinized character, either - he had powerful weapons, but the rest of his gear was pretty standard for his level.

I'm sure someone out there can probably top this, though.

Funny, but there was a mid-high level rogue in one of my campaigns that dropped a ton of damage on a Troll. I think it was 86 points, in much the same way you mention. Spells, sneak attack damage, mods, etc.

You'd think a fighter would, but maybe a fighter does damage more consistently. Rogues have a tendency, at least in my experience, to do nothing, nothing, nothing and then explode for a ton of damage.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Wolf72

Explorer
2e

our friend who was really bored (very common in training at Ft Gordon) wanted to play DnD with us one night ... sooooo

we helped make a mage (around 5th or 6th lvl iirc).

well anyway he had this magic wand (unbeknownst (is that a word?) to him, of lightning bolts)

well he points it up (not realizing the 15ft cealing ... we were in dungeon: ToEE) and yells out the command word.

... he was extra crispy at about -85 hp (don't remember how many hp he had before that point).

the important part is that he enjoyed himself.

shadowcaster007

First Post
My frenzied bezerker layed the smack down more than once.
I had 4 attacks with Str bonuses and powerattack and a cool Great Axe.

This one round I crited 2 out of 4 and hit with the other 2.
I think we stopped counting at about 200.

The max damage he could have done was about 350 with 4 crits.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Depends on whether you choose one round or one hit. One round, I think the crown goes to 232 points or so from a 19th-level fully-buffed Sor/Ftr/AA. In a single hit was closer to 156 points or so from a 19th level Paladin wielding a holy avenger with full power-attack against a chaotic-evil outsider with, IIRC at least two crits and a burst effect.

Crazy stuff, really.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
We have a half-dragon fighter in our group, with an ECL of 3 (it really should be four, and even he agrees) and 9 levels of fighter. With enlarge, bull's strength and greater magic weapon along with a huge, keen, shocking burst greatsword, he did well over 100 points of damage in a round, slicing a kyton neatly in half. It was beautiful. :D

wolff96

First Post
I was in this game, but I was not the player in question.

Eighteenth level Fighter/Scythe Master

Made a five-foot step and then full-attacked a creature while hasted. With class abilities, he needed a 16-20 for a critical threat.

The first hit was declared to be a Ki Strike (I think that's the name... max weapon damage of 8) and was a critical that he immediately used the "Increased Multiplier" ability with. The second shot... was also a crit. The other two both hit. The hasted attack was also a critical.

I'm trying to remember... it was a +5 Keen Icy Burst Scythe and his strength was 22 (16 STR + 6 Item). So his damage modifier was +9 for the weapon. He was also specialized in the weapon.

First hit: 120 + 1d6 + 4d10
Second hit: 80 + 8d4 + 1d6 + 3d10
Third hit: 2d4 + 16 + 1d6
Fourth hit: 2d4 + 16 + 1d6

Haste hit: 80 + 8d4 + 1d6 + 3d10

That's a total of:

20d4 + 10d10 + 5d6 + 312

I don't recall how much damage he really did. I *do* remember that the monster was technically a greasy stain after the *second* hit, but that it was the end of the encounter so he rolled all his attacks.

Pretty much the entire game ground to a halt at that point as we all had to stand and stare over his shoulder at the incredible powerhouse his fighter had become. He was potent before, but all those crits made us all SCARED of him (in character).

Average damage for that monstrosity, by the way, is: 434 damage.

Bob5th

First Post
Well in 2E in a single group we had two fighter who would do over 100 a round and a shuriken throwing wizard doing over 100 as well.

In 3E our groups current record goes to the Archer who has done over 300 before.

My best from a spell was a Flamestrike that I rolled near max on. The bad part was the new player character was tied up out of my sight but got caught in the blast. Almost killed him before he got to play.

PS. In Neverwinter Nights I've took over 4000 damage from some hacked item guy.

Angcuru

First Post
Well, I don't know about you guys but I once ran an epic paladin who took at the avatar of Cthulhu in less than 2 rounds. He had 10 attacks, each dealing anything from 50-125 damage, I think he ended up dealing out 800 in one round and 600 in the other. Smoking crater....how about Cthulhu confetti?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
While the damage pales in comparison to 3E possibilities, I recall a 1E occasion I DM'd.

The Fighter/Magic-User/Thief had crept up unawares on an NPC fighter. As it happened, this fighter was Charmed - a Dispel would have provided the PCs with quite a tough ally. He had over a hundred hit points!

The FMUT was flying, invisible, and hasted... he saw the opportunity, and took it - streaking down the corridor at high speed, he made multiple backstab attacks with longsword and dagger.

With the Backstab multipliers, he did... uh... over a hundred hit points.

I just stared for a moment. The fighter was supposed to be tough!

-Hyp.

Remove ads