What is the most damage you've ever seen a character do in one round?

shilsen

Adventurer
Re: Not alot but first

misttar said:
Best single hit. Not a really huge amount but happend at the best time.

3rd level Great-axe weilding Half-Orc Paladin
First encounter in a new campaign, yes we started at 3rd level, is with 2 large zombies and one huge. Gets highest initiative, declares a smite evil, charges forward, crits and proceeds to roll all 3 d12s as 12s. 36+12+9=57 points. One dead zombie.

First swing of the game. What a way to start.

And what makes that even more impressive is that you can't actually crit undead, so the most he should have been able to do is 19 points :D

Tidus4444

First Post
I was playing a DD with a Mercurial Greatsword before it got errated. We were fighting a dragon that I was sure we were gonna die on. I rolled two 20s on my to hit and confirmed it, doing X8 damage (a house rule our DM made up). I think the damage added up to somewhere around 200. The really bad thing was, most of the loot went to the person who killed it, and I brought him down to 2 HP where the ranger finished him off.

Kugar

First Post
12th level wizard

40 Bolts + GMW + TK violent burst against a Corpse Gatherer

40d8+160

Damage was well over 300 hp

Look on DMs face: Priceless

Darklone

Puny level 4 character... dwarven barbarian fighter doublewielding dwarven waraxes rolled for nearly maximum damage with crits.

Killed two lvl 5 enemies at once.

Numion

First Post
Order of the Bow Initiate once did 300+ points of damage. Improved invisibility and sneaks coupled with two criticals did the trick.

My character díd 86 points last game. Cleric Archer at level 11...

Zhure

First Post
Bunch of 6-8th level characters in 1e, and one of them pulled a necklace of fireballs, mis-aimed the hit and detonated it close to the party. It set off one other group member's necklace, which set off a chain reaction.

Final total was circa 300 points negative for the Druid, who had 100 points of fire protection. The only survivor in the blast was the monk (1e evasion) who threw the original bead. Otherwise it was a TPK.

My character wasn't on the scene (I was busy regenerating an otherwise fatal wound a few floors away in a safe place), so he and the guilty monk had to go around scraping up powdered bits of druids, rangers and fighters.

I wrote up the event in detail on the old boards. But the guilty monk wasn't ever allowed to wield AoE devices again and he wasn't allowed into city hall ever again either.

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
This was pre advanced, back when staffs of wizardry were found in regular treasures, and breaking one released a lot of energy. I do mean a lot.

Scene: The sole survivor of a party (a wizard) is facing a number of rather nasty monsters. (These guys would later become the balors we know today). He had a couple of dozen hit points (or thereabouts), a dagger, and a staff of wizardry. Fully charged at that. Just picked it up.

With the 'balors' closing in for the kill he broke the staff (we called this a, 'final strike').

When the dust settled and the smoke cleared the DM had a new feature in his landscape. A crater one mile in diameter and half a mile deep. We never did bother figuring out how many points of damage were done, it seemed a tad redundent.

Squire James

First Post
Caveats:

1. This is 1e AD&D with Unearthed Arcana rules.

2. I and R. A. Salvatore had pretty much the same idea about how to make an rules-abusive Drow. The DM even let me Double Specialize in Short Sword and wield 2 of them (which resulted in 3/2 attacks with two weapons, or 3 attacks per round).

3. The DM had his own crit tables that usually resulted in 2x or 3x damage, and they came into play if the attacker hit by 5 or more.

What Happened:

My 1/1 Drow Fighter/Thief (THAC0 15, 1d6+5 damage normally) fought some sort of spider that apparently had an AC of 6, meaning I needed a 9 to hit it (and thus a 11 to crit it). It came as no terrible surprise that I crit it 3 times, for x2, x3, and x3. All my damage rolls were 5's and 6's, so I scored a total of 81 hp of damage. As a first level character.

The DM, the dastard, apparently decided the spider had some importance to his plot, so it lived through the attack. So I have the honor of having a starting character inflict 81 damage in a single round, and the monster didn't even die!

Taloras

First Post
Im not certain about most in 1 round....but ive had a 7rog/1rgr do 85 pts of damage in one round. Thing was, the fog giant turns around and smacks me to -25 next second.

In one of our current games, we have a female fighter that does 2d8+19 (crit for x2). Wielding a greatsword thats taller than her.....(she has a feat that ups the damage dice, and one that doubles her str mod if she uses a 2 handed weapon). Quite useful. Beats the hell out of my rogue.....whos now dead from taking 6 hits from an ancient white dragon (102 pts in one round...he was 11th level, 95 hp. full to -7 in one round.....damn DM for putting a cr 17 where we couldnt escape).

Creeping Death

First Post
Wow, mine pales in comparison to all the rest. My best was when I was playing a 3rd level human rogue. I was flanking a spellcaster that decided to cast a spell. I got an attack of oppertunity and since I was flanking it was a sneak attack. I crited and did 18 points of damage. I was using a short sword.

He didn't finish his spell and I think the fighter or paladin killed him the next round.

Remove ads