Volo's Guide AL Rules - You can play them all!

Inxanity

Explorer
http://dndadventurersleague.org/volos-guide-to-monsters-now-available/

Here is the link to the document for the AL Rules regarding Volo's Guide. Basically, you can play all the races, but there are stipulations.

You MUST use the backgrounds that are written up in this document and you MUST use the factions it says for that race.

Note - If you pick the EEPC as your +1 and play a Goliath, you don't need to join any faction, but if you pick Volo's Guide as your +1 and play a Goliath, you MUST pick a faction (I asked on Facebook and thats what I was told).

Last edited:

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
If I understand this correctly, this means that if you play a race from Volo's Guide, then Volo's Guide *is* your +1 for purposes of the 'PH+1' rule -- you cannot combine one of these races with a subclass, spell, or other item from the EEPG or the SCAG.

Edit: For those looking to play yuan-ti, the kingdom of yuan-ti in the Sword Coast region is called "Najara" not "Njara".

--
Pauper

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
If I understand this correctly, this means that if you play a race from Volo's Guide, then Volo's Guide *is* your +1 for purposes of the 'PH+1' rule -- you cannot combine one of these races with a subclass, spell, or other item from the EEPG or the SCAG.

--
Pauper

Correct. Though Goliath and Deep Gnome can be picked from two different sources (EEPG or VGtM/SCAG respectively).

gyor

Legend
Okay that's it?

To summerize, Aasimar have to add tripping out to horrifying celestial dreams that seem to torment them to thier background.

The Tabaxi come from Maztica, driven by the curiousity granted by the Cat Lord, which leaves the question how did the Tabaxi go from worshipping Maztican Gods like Zeltec, before the Spellplague and now worship the Cat Lord who isn't even a God, but an Animal Lord of the Beastlands in generic D&D. Now he or it, I don't know if its the same Cat Lord. Could it be an Aspect of Zeltec or Sharess, Goddess of Cats, don't know, no details and a new God. The Cat Lord became the God/Creator of the Tabaxi out of nowhere. If it does violate any rules, I'm making the Cat Lord the Tabaxi Aspect of Sharess, the SCAG left her out, so I'll just use the Cat Lord and its domain, Trickery, which Sharess did have in 3e.

I'm assuming the Cat Lord is choicible as a deity now, and not just for Tabaxi. I assume they went with the Cat Lord because they didn't want build the Maztican Pantheon, but they should have just used Sharess, who already did stuff like create werecats, so it would fit.

Lizardfolk are from the Swamp, driven out by an Evil Lizardfolk Queen.

Goblins are from the Crag something tribe and used to live in a run down castle, till a spider thing took over and they got tired of being bossed around by it. Kind of like this one, bit it should still be voluntary.

Hobgoblins are from a specific tribe, taxing local city and villages for gold, you grow board being the Hobgoblin equivilant of the IRS, so you go adventuring. Why the Chill can't be your origin, I don't know.

Firbolgs are from the High Forest. Which means no Firbolgs from the Moonshaes. Why this was seen as needful, I don't know.

Purebloods are from Najara, but Najara has Lizardfolk as well, I see no purpose to making it so Lizardfolk can't be from Najara, which the Yaun Ti part actual mentions the Lizardfolk there.

Bugbears, Your from the Lurkwood, and your an assassin that got lazy, made a Paladin of Devotion, tough your still an assassin from the Lurkwood, who was too lazy to work for the Chill any more.

Goliaths you are from Thesk. Why Thesk, maybe Volo's guide will explain. If your playing a Goliath there is literally no reason to use Volo's Guide to Monsters as your +1, unless you wish to worship the Cat Lord. EEPG is better in every way for someone playing a Goliath and its free, so no advantage so ever and much freedom using the EEPG, like you don't have to be from Thesk.

Tritons, a major war under the waves is mentioned, but no details of that war are given. Basically amoung the most ignorable background elements, just act like an arrogent twit, you look at surface dwellers like shallow fools.

Kobold, you were part of a confederation of Kobolds that had a baby boom then a bad year for food. So instead of working to feed the starving babies of your tribe you run away, in search of adventurers. I think the idea is your hoping they'll lead to new sources of food for the tribes.

Orcs former member of the Kingdom of Many Arrows, does make sense, still should be voluntary.

Kenku, just small talk in mimicry speech, that not even background info, its just an example of how Kenku communicate. Actually makes it less intrusive then most of the others.

I just don't see the point in this document, aside from railroading people into particular factions, and into particular background elements, that races from the PHB and EEPG doesn't have to deal with.

And its doesn't answer why the Aasimar lore in VGTM and SCAG don't seem to fit, or why the Tabaxi have a new God (maybe?) and dumped the Maztican pantheon (or what happened to the Tabaxi Lords, although given no weave in Abeir I can guess what happened to Tabaxi Lords who were Wizards and Priests in giant big cat forms, probably all dead).

Most of it is confusing, only alittle bit useful. Still none of it crippling or anything, if you want a Pureblood from elsewhere, just add that your pureblood was born in X and later moved to Najara, and you basically meet the requirement in your background for example.

This isn't a shot at Matt Sernett or Chistopher Lindsay, its has great plot hooks, its just it shouldn't be mandatory and it leaves some key questions unanswered.

Last edited:

MiraMels

Explorer
I like this a lot. I was a little worried about how all these new races were going to mesh with the AL experience, and this is the perfect way to do it.

Still, it saddens me to learn the the Kingdom of Many Arrows is officially no more. The orcs of the north deserve peace.

ccs

41st lv DM
Okay that's it?

To summerize, Aasimar have to add tripping out to horrifying celestial dreams that seem to torment them to thier background.

The Tabaxi come from Maztica, driven by the curiousity granted by the Cat Lord, which leaves the question how did the Tabaxi go from worshipping Maztican Gods like Zeltec, before the Spellplague and now worship the Cat Lord who isn't even a God, but an Animal Lord of the Beastlands in generic D&D. Now he or it, I don't know if its the same Cat Lord. Could it be an Aspect of Zeltec or Sharess, Goddess of Cats, don't know, no details and a new God. The Cat Lord became the God/Creator of the Tabaxi out of nowhere. If it does violate any rules, I'm making the Cat Lord the Tabaxi Aspect of Sharess, the SCAG left her out, so I'll just use the Cat Lord and its domain, Trickery, which Sharess did have in 3e.

I'm assuming the Cat Lord is choicible as a deity now, and not just for Tabaxi. I assume they went with the Cat Lord because they didn't want build the Maztican Pantheon, but they should have just used Sharess, who already did stuff like create werecats, so it would fit.

Lizardfolk are from the Swamp, driven out by an Evil Lizardfolk Queen.

Goblins are from the Crag something tribe and used to live in a run down castle, till a spider thing took over and they got tired of being bossed around by it. Kind of like this one, bit it should still be voluntary.

Hobgoblins are from a specific tribe, taxing local city and villages for gold, you grow board being the Hobgoblin equivilant of the IRS, so you go adventuring. Why the Chill can't be your origin, I don't know.

Firbolgs are from the High Forest. Which means no Firbolgs from the Moonshaes. Why this was seen as needful, I don't know.

Purebloods are from Najara, but Najara has Lizardfolk as well, I see no purpose to making it so Lizardfolk can't be from Najara, which the Yaun Ti part actual mentions the Lizardfolk there.

Bugbears, Your from the Lurkwood, and your an assassin that got lazy, made a Paladin of Devotion, tough your still an assassin from the Lurkwood, who was too lazy to work for the Chill any more.

Goliaths you are from Thesk. Why Thesk, maybe Volo's guide will explain. If your playing a Goliath there is literally no reason to use Volo's Guide to Monsters as your +1, unless you wish to worship the Cat Lord. EEPG is better in every way for someone playing a Goliath and its free, so no advantage so ever and much freedom using the EEPG, like you don't have to be from Thesk.

Tritons, a major war under the waves is mentioned, but no details of that war are given. Basically amoung the most ignorable background elements, just act like an arrogent twit, you look at surface dwellers like shallow fools.

Kobold, you were part of a confederation of Kobolds that had a baby boom then a bad year for food. So instead of working to feed the starving babies of your tribe you run away, in search of adventurers. I think the idea is your hoping they'll lead to new sources of food for the tribes.

Orcs former member of the Kingdom of Many Arrows, does make sense, still should be voluntary.

Kenku, just small talk in mimicry speech, that not even background info, its just an example of how Kenku communicate. Actually makes it less intrusive then most of the others.

I just don't see the point in this document, aside from railroading people into particular factions, and into particular background elements, that races from the PHB and EEPG doesn't have to deal with.

And its doesn't answer why the Aasimar lore in VGTM and SCAG don't seem to fit, or why the Tabaxi have a new God (maybe?) and dumped the Maztican pantheon (or what happened to the Tabaxi Lords, although given no weave in Abeir I can guess what happened to Tabaxi Lords who were Wizards and Priests in giant big cat forms, probably all dead).

Most of it is confusing, only alittle bit useful. Still none of it crippling or anything, if you want a Pureblood from elsewhere, just add that your pureblood was born in X and later moved to Najara, and you basically meet the requirement in your background for example.

This isn't a shot at Matt Sernett or Chistopher Lindsay, its has great plot hooks, its just it shouldn't be mandatory and it leaves some key questions unanswered.

But this is for the AL, not real D&D. The details of your background etc don't matter 2 CP because you can't really DO anything concerning them....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases