Volo's Guide AL Rules - You can play them all!

FarBeyondC

Explorer
Personally, I'm highly disappointed in the direction taken with regard to the 'monstrous' races. Being able to play them all, but only if grew up in these specific ways and are part of these specific groups, makes me almost wish instead that they didn't allow you to play any of them without a cert or some other official award/reward.

The direction from WOTC on why this was done is to give a story reason why there are these groups of monsters suddenly wandering into local cities and not necessarily being immediately attacked by the city watch.

"OMG its a goblin, kill it! Oh wait, he's wearing a Zhent uniform. She must be on of the those Zhent mercenaries sent to aid us from all the bandit attacks. I don't like it, but I don't want to anger the powerful faction, so I guess I'll let you go rather than hanging you from the nearest tree."

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The Tabaxi come from Maztica, driven by the curiousity granted by the Cat Lord, which leaves the question how did the Tabaxi go from worshipping Maztican Gods like Zeltec, before the Spellplague and now worship the Cat Lord who isn't even a God, but an Animal Lord of the Beastlands in generic D&D.

Somebody really liked the old 3E Epic Level Handbook write-up of him? As far as I know, that's the only place where the Cat Lord was ever posited to be a deity.

If it does violate any rules, I'm making the Cat Lord the Tabaxi Aspect of Sharess, the SCAG left her out, so I'll just use the Cat Lord and its domain, Trickery, which Sharess did have in 3e.

Sadly, that would violate AL rules, as the Cat Lord doesn't have an official write-up in a source cited by the ALPG, and thus isn't a legal option as a deity choice for clerics. (I'd thought Sharess was at least mentioned in teh PH, though, but if not, then she's not legal, either, nor would Bast of the Egyptian/Mulhorandi pantheon.) Keep in mind, though, that just because the tabaxi have a 'designated' deity, doesn't mean all tabaxi have to worship that deity -- dwarves and elves can worship and even serve as clerics to the Faerunian pantheon, ignoring the pantheons headed by Moradin and Corellon, respectively, so nothing prevents a tabaxi cleric from doing the same.

If your playing a Goliath there is literally no reason to use Volo's Guide to Monsters as your +1, unless you wish to worship the Cat Lord.

True, so it's interesting to note that the direction to use the backgrounds in the Volo's Guide document aren't restricted to characters that only use Volo's Guide as their +1. Likewise, the requirement that characters of these races must be part of a faction, and that faction is listed in the document, also do not appear to be restricted to just characters made from Volo's Guide. My guess would be that Goliaths (and admin-created Aasimar using the appropriate cert) would also need to abide by the background material in the addendum, even though their rules sources are not technically Volo's Guide.

I just don't see the point in this document, aside from railroading people into particular factions, and into particular background elements, that races from the PHB and EEPG doesn't have to deal with.

Well, some of it is based on the monster races generally trending toward evil, so some is just a re-statement of the existing rules on alignment and factions. (And adding a bit more restriction -- after all, you may claim your hobgoblin isn't evil, but who in the Harpers is going to believe you?)

The one race that is generally available outside of Volo's Guide has no faction restrictions, so I don't see that as being terribly limiting.

Most of it is confusing, only alittle bit useful. Still none of it crippling or anything, if you want a Pureblood from elsewhere, just add that your pureblood was born in X and later moved to Najara, and you basically meet the requirement in your background for example.

As a DM, I'm actually happy that I have some campaign documentation that backs up my desire to keep things relatively 'canon' within the campaign. So if you say your yuan-ti pureblood is from X and moved to Najara, unless X is Chult, I'm going to say, 'nope, yuan-ti aren't from there'.

With that said, the backstories are pretty generic and are thus malleable; I'm putting together a hobgoblin wizard who got run out of the High Moor when he discovered that his gift didn't run toward the evocation mastery that is the expected path of all hobgoblin wizards serving Maglubiuyet. Nothing in the published AL document is going to make my character unplayable.

--
Pauper

MiraMels

Explorer
As a DM, I'm actually happy that I have some campaign documentation that backs up my desire to keep things relatively 'canon' within the campaign. So if you say your yuan-ti pureblood is from X and moved to Najara, unless X is Chult, I'm going to say, 'nope, yuan-ti aren't from there'.

With that said, the backstories are pretty generic and are thus malleable; I'm putting together a hobgoblin wizard who got run out of the High Moor when he discovered that his gift didn't run toward the evocation mastery that is the expected path of all hobgoblin wizards serving Maglubiuyet. Nothing in the published AL document is going to make my character unplayable.

I have to agree. As a DM, I'm happy to have some guidance for me and my players as far as to what is, and isn't, a setting appropriate direction for a character. (I am all too often posed with a request for guidance in that regard by my players! The Forgotten Realms is an overwhelming big place.)

As a player, I am more than happy to stick to the requested limits. Like Pauper said, they are pretty forgiving within those limits. I've been awaiting the chance to play a Far Traveller grey orc from Vassa ever since Volo's was announced, and the only change these limits have forced is that she had to have emigrated to the Kingdom of Many Arrows before it collapsed, and been there for the breaking of Obould's peace.

I'm quite curious to see the impact of Volo's Guide on table makeup at AL events, if we'll see a total menagerie, or mostly business as usual.

I was going to make a gnome for my next AL character, but now I'm debating between goblin and aasimar.

Personally, I'm highly disappointed in the direction taken with regard to the 'monstrous' races. Being able to play them all, but only if grew up in these specific ways and are part of these specific groups, makes me almost wish instead that they didn't allow you to play any of them without a cert or some other official award/reward.

Adventurer's League takes place in the Forgotten Realms, not in some generic D&D world, so, like Skerritt said, there have to be reasons and justifications for why all these monsters are not being killed on sight when they enter cities and towns. Some of them might seem a little restrictive, but overall I think it is fine.

kalani

First Post
I should add that the restrictions in that document only apply to characters who use Volo's Guide to Monsters as their +1 book. If you are playing an Elemental Evil Player's Companion Goliath, you don't have those restrictions (and could play a factionless goliath from anywhere in Faerun for example).

Likewise, if you have the aasimar certificate, you do not have the restrictions of that race (although you should update your character to use the latest rules for the aasimar race, including choosing a subrace).

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
I should add that the restrictions in that document only apply to characters who use Volo's Guide to Monsters as their +1 book. If you are playing an Elemental Evil Player's Companion Goliath, you don't have those restrictions (and could play a factionless goliath from anywhere in Faerun for example).

Likewise, if you have the aasimar certificate, you do not have the restrictions of that race (although you should update your character to use the latest rules for the aasimar race, including choosing a subrace).

Are you required to do so? I don't have the cert, nor have I read the guide yet, but if you're happy with the DM version that you were certed for, can you keep it? (Or just don't want to go through all the work of reconfiguring a high-level character)

kalani

First Post
The admins have said you should update your character to the new aasimar (however Volo's guide doesn't count as your +1 and since you are a cert-aasimar, you don't have the additional background/faction restrictions either)

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

If the given justification is the reason behind the background restrictions, then it doesn't make sense that some characters of those races are exempt from the restrictions. Either the goliath and aasimar restrictions should not exist (and thus would not exist for all characters of those races), or all characters of those races should have to abide by them.

--
Pauper

Remove ads