"In the Works"; DR against "good"?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I was just reading through the latest In the Works over on WotC's site, and I noticed something in the Barbed Devil (Hamatula) preview for the revised MM: The Barbed Devil (am I the only one getting whiplash for how these outsiders always get their names rearranged?) has "reduction 10/good".

Now, I understood that DR was going to be revised to remove weapon materials from the hierarchy system, but having damage reduction against "good"? The only thing I can think of is that this might apply to Holy weapons, but that would be more of a Regeneration thing than DR. Any theories on what this could be?

Goobermunch

Explorer
It's possible it's 10/good. It's also possible that, since this is from an old galley that we'll see it as 10/holy silver. Since that's what the Pit Fiend has, I suspect the latter is more likely. Then again, maybe it's graduated. Maybe the weaker devils have 10/good and the stronger ones have 10/holy silver. Maybe each has a different set of resistances (boy that makes going to the planes less appetizing). Maybe I should shut up and wait for release day!

--G

EricNoah

Adventurer
I wonder if there might be spells to "align" your weapons, or even a new set of weapon special abilities tied to it. Note how the barbed devil's claws are treated as both evil-aligned and lawful aligned.

coyote6

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
I wonder if there might be spells to "align" your weapons

There are; they mentioned that in the article (Dragon, I think; maybe the website) that talked about DR. Monks' unarmed attacks become "lawful" at some level -- 10th or so.

Pants

First Post
I wonder how this is going to affect monsters being able to bypass other monster's DR? Will a Hamatula be able to bypass another Hamatula's DR or will it always subtract 10 from the damage?

Simplicity

Explorer
10/good means that you can only harm the creature
with a good-aligned character. New rules on wielding
good-aligned characters are provided in the newly
expanded Combat section.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases