Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Parmandur

Book-Friend
But which section? The four modules in the collection that are canonically set in Greyhawk are all located thousands of miles away from each other.

On the other hand, I would think that the areas near the modules will get at least some cursory coverage, since we know that the adventure will cover where to place them in all settings (so presumably their original Greyhawk locations will be covered)...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

I could see them opening Greyhawk to the DMs Guild with this...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
The paradox of the current gaming industry. WotC has core books with new rules, but it doesn't produce new material. Paizo's core books aren't original, but it produces new content.

Corpsetaker

First Post
The paradox of the current gaming industry. WotC has core books with new rules, but it doesn't produce new material. Paizo's core books aren't original, but it produces new content.
That's why I see Paizo being a better company for gaming overall while WoTc is better for making money.

JeffB

Legend
And for me,there is the paradox- I vastly prefer 5e's ruleset and they are producing absolutely nothing that makes me excited to or want to play the game. And I'd like to. Its a solid game when we play it. Loved Lost Mines and some conversions I have run. BUT I've seen TSR and WOTC regurgitate this stuff edition after edition after edition after..... Boring. Artificial Vanilla flavor D&D

On the other hand, while I don't like everything they do by a long shot, at least Paizo produces a pile of quality NEW adventure material in the sizes and formats I like and I can sift through to find my diamonds. But I won't touch the system with a 10 foot pole (barring the PFBB).

Solution- spend money elsewhere, hope they change their business models/systems to something vibrant/fresh. Lots of creative, better quality D&D products out there being produced that don't have a D&D label. I wouldn't hold my breath for Wizards to do anything but the SOS they have been doing since 1997, in a different wrapping paper.

Corpsetaker

First Post
This is why I think PoL would have been better suited as their flagship setting while they choose one of the other settings per year and do a campaign guide followed by a player's guide with articles in Dragon or Unearthed Arcana revealing other areas of the settings in more detail.

JeffB

Legend
This is why I think PoL would have been better suited as their flagship setting while they choose one of the other settings per year and do a campaign guide followed by a player's guide with articles in Dragon or Unearthed Arcana revealing other areas of the settings in more detail.

i would prefer that as well- like they did with 4e. I thought it was excellent.

But did that model fail because of that style of product release or because of the 4e rules? In FR I suspect it was the re-set that killed it(which I welcomed, though did not care for all the details). But eberron and dark sun seemed to be pretty well received? :shrug:

ddaley

Explorer
I think it was the WoW based ruleset that killed 4e. When I read the ruleset, it sounded great. But, in play, it was just too much to keep track of.

i would prefer that as well- like they did with 4e. I thought it was excellent.

But did that model fail because of that style of product release or because of the 4e rules? In FR I suspect it was the re-set that killed it(which I welcomed, though did not care for all the details). But eberron and dark sun seemed to be pretty well received? :shrug:

Corpsetaker

First Post
i would prefer that as well- like they did with 4e. I thought it was excellent. But did that model fail because of that style of product release or because of the 4e rules? In FR I suspect it was the re-set that killed it(which I welcomed, though did not care for all the details). But eberron and dark sun seemed to be pretty well received? :shrug:
I would say it was the re-set plus the 4th edition rules themselves that did it.

Remove ads

Remove ads