Attacking a Net?

Shin Okada

Explorer
From SRD,

An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action).

With only 5 hit points, it seems that attacking and damaging a net is much easier than escaping from it or bursting it. Is there something I have overlooked? Or is it just so easy?

High CR monsters such as Bebilith demon or Monstrous Spiders have attacks similar to net attack. And while escaping/bursting DC are difficult enough, HPs of those nets are not that much, too. For example Bebilith (CR 10) web is 14 hit points and hardness 0, Colossal Monstrous Spider (CR 11) web has 18 hit points. I guess PCs of appropriate level will just slash a web with a single attack.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
With only 5 hit points, it seems that attacking and damaging a net is much easier than escaping from it or bursting it. Is there something I have overlooked?

Nope. You got it in one.

In the game design, the net was never viewed as a serious threat, but more as a temporary hassle.

In my Home Rules, only a bladed weapon used a regular attack, but had to roll for damage. A piercing weapon attack, less effective at cutting the net, had to hit the same DC as Escape Artist, and a bludgeoning weapon attack had to meet the same DC 25 as the Strength check. It just made more sense to me that way.

The main problem being netted posed to a PC was to become more vulnerable to being attacked. For that, it served well.

TBeholder

Explorer
Also, whether one "killed" a fragment of web or not... if it's sticky, it's back to Strength check. :]
Unless using a weapon that damages with touch, but this may have other problems (especially flaming).

To my understanding, that also matches the historical usage of the net. It is noteworthy that the most notable use of the net that may be noted in combat is in the Roman professional Gladatorial circus, which noteworthies were largely trained and fought to wound and bloody each other, and not to kill; notably, actual deaths among professional gladiators, who may take months of training, was rather low.

Enough so to be worthy of a note if one is used to the much more bloody and brutal depiction typically noted.

Remove ads