D&D 3E/3.5 Need help creating an 3.5 homebrew Monk class

nunomeskita

First Post
Hey, guys! I am still very new to Dnd but I have completely fallen in love with the monk class but from what I have read they seem to be extremely underpowered when compared with some of the other classes. I don't really have a group I can play or talk about with when it comes to Dnd so I was hoping you guys could help me recreate the monk class in a way it doesn't become overpowered. In terms of power, I am aiming for tier 3/2.
:)

So when I think of the monk in Dnd I imagine a badass melee unarmed fighter that uses his speed to deflect blows and move through the field fast, taking priority targets by either defeating them or immobilizing them. The way I see them doing this is by relying on either their physical speed or mind-body control, so I am currently playing with the idea of having the monk class have a small ramification where you can either specialize in either a Dexterity based fighter, a Wisdom based fighter or a mix of both.

These are a few abilities I have been thinking about to make this Homebrew badass Monk work. They are not in any particular order or have been associated with a specific level, they are just random ideas.
(These include a few ideas from other posts)

-At level 1- "Precise strike" (pretty much weapon finesse), when striking foes you have learned to rely on technique instead of raw power, your attack bonus and damage rolls uses Dex modifier instead of Str, OR "Wise strike", through intensive meditation you have acquired an exceptional control of your body using your mind, your attack bonus and damage rolls uses Wis modifier instead of Str.

-At level x/x/x/x/x-"Ki strike, Empowerment"(modified),(prerequisite "Wise strike") You have learned to use your life energy to empower your unarmed attacks, for a number equal to you monk level + wis modifier you can empower your unarmed attacks during a full round making them act like +1/+2/+3+/4+/+5 Enchanted Weapons.

-At level x-“Ki strike, Projection”, (prerequisite "Wise strike") You can now focus your Ki into your unarmed attacks increasing its range, for a number equal to your monk level + wis modifier you can project your attack 5 feet forward (for a total of 10 feet total)(Can be used with your other Ki strike abilities).

-At level x-“Ki strike, Touch”, (prerequisite "Wise strike") Using the power of your mind you can now bypass an enemy’s armor, for a number of 2x your Cha Modifier per day you can Empower the attacks in a round to deal touch damage(Can be used with your other Ki strike abilities).

-At level x-"Unarmed strike proficiency", (prerequisite "Precise strike") You gain +1 attack bonus in your unarmed attacks.

-At level x-"Vital points knowledge", (prerequisite "Precise strike") Having a superior knowledge of the body you can strike the vital points with great accuracy, Your critical strike window becomes 19-20 (maybe 18-20)

-At level x-"Deadly precision", (prerequisite "Precise strike") You have learned to use your body as a lethal weapon, you unarmed critical strikes now deals 3x Damage.

-At level x(maybe 3)- "Improved Flurry of Blows", Flurry of blows now counts as a standard action

-At level x-"Martial Grapple", Having studied a variety of fighting techniques you have learned to rely more on your body movement instead of your strength to immobilize enemies, You can use either your str modifier or dex modifier in your grapple attempts (whichever is higher)

-At level x-"Martial Grapple, Mastery", You are now able to use you own opponents weight in your favour when trying to grapple, you can grapple as being a size bigger.

-At Level x-“Speed Demon”, When moving past enemies you no longer provoke an attack of opportunity and when running past enemies you retain you Dex and Wis AC bonus.

-At Level x-“Moving strike”, You can now move between strikes when using your normal attack (doesn’t work with flurry of blows or Ki strikes) but each step counts as two movements (starts after your first strike.

-At Level x/x-“Wall run”, Through intense training you are able to run across walls, you can run either 20/40 feet horizontally or 10/20 feet vertically as part of your movement action, if you don’t find solid ground by the end of your movement you need to make an appropriate check depending if you are landing or starting a climb.

-At Level x/x/x-“Master of movement”, You can choose to either gain +3 bonus to Tumble, Jump and Climb or Move silently, Hide and Escape artist.

-At Level x/x/x-“Mind over body”, You now understand that pain is not only physical but mental and you have learned to negate the later, 2x your Wis Mod per day you can reduce the damage received by 5/10/15. You can use this ability after knowing the damage dealt

General Mechanics
Now gains 6 skill points per level
Has Full Bab
Gets his Dex Mod and Wis mod added to his Ac
Retains previous abilities

As I said before I dont have a lot of knowledge about Dnd and haven't played that many games so not sure how this would work in the actual game and what levels would be best for each ability. What are your thoughts on the abilities and would they make the Monk more viable, interesting and specialized?

Also, I have read thousands of forum post but first time actually posting something so also not sure if I am doing this right xD

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Welcome to ENWorld!

One of my favorite archetypes is the empty-handed warrior. While I don't personally have an issue with monks being "underpowered", I know a lot of people do.

I made a database of everything I could find for monks and similar classes in 3.X sources, as well as a few ENWorld threads. The link is in my signature. You may find some inspiration and help there.

nunomeskita

First Post
Thank you for the reply! I am quite excited to be part of your community and will definitely check out your link and get some inspiration from it. I am currently trying to get together a Dnd group and play a few vanilla games to understand how the different classes work together and then maybe start to work more seriously in making a Homebrew version of the game were classes are slightly close in power. From reading the Phb I fell in love with the monk class but people in generally believe it to be a very underpower class but I dont actualyl have the game experience to know if its true. Maybe i will find out they are not necessarily underpowered just underappreciated :p

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One thing you can do- as some of those variant monks, monk-like classes and prestige classes do- is alter the weapons treated as "monk weapons" for a given class or character. I did a homebrew rule that did exactly that:

Weapon Proficiencies: The Martial Artist is proficient in all simple weapons, PLUS choose one of the following groups as the PC's Melee Martial Arts Weapons and additional Ranged weapons:

1) 1 One-handed and 2 Light Martial weapons + 1 Martial Ranged Weapon
2) 3 Exotic Light weapons + 1 Martial or Exotic Ranged Weapon
3) 1 Exotic Light Weapon + 1 Exotic One-handed weapon + 1 Martial Ranged Weapon
4) 1 Martial or Exotic 2 handed weapon + 1 Martial or Exotic Ranged Weapon
5) Any 5 Simple weapons +1 Martial or Exotic Ranged weapon

These Melee Martial arts weapons may be used with Flurry of Blows

nunomeskita

First Post
That is a fix that I might present to my players that want to play monk. Together with Full Bab and a little fix for MAD and the low AC might make them more viable and fun. I am aslo gonna have a little go at the empty handed warrior and see how that would work out, I just love the idea of kicking someones ass using only your fists and your feet :D

Remove ads