D&D 5E Give me some advices on creating a 5e PC

Shin Okada

Explorer
Few weeks later, I will attend my first D&D 5e game as a player. I am meant to create a 3rd level PC and am thinking about making a Fighter (Eldritch Knight). I am not truly going for min/maxing but want to make my PC at least a capable member of the party.

That is a PHB only game. So no materials (say, spells from other books or web articles) from other sources are allowed.

I am given the starting gear +150gp. But selling the starting gear is not allowed. So, for example, I cannot buy Splint armor by selling my Chain Mail and one of my martial weapon.

The party already has a Paladin, Sorcerer, Cleric (Melee-ish), and a Rogue (Arcane Trickster, I guess).

The adventure will involve traveling into Shadowfell and confronting monsters there.

My current plan is,

Human (variant) Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Background : Sage

Starting Stats : STR 14+1(Human)+1(Feat)=16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 13+1(human)=14, Wis 12, Cha 8

AC :16 (Chain Mail)
HP : 28

Proficient Skills : Acrobatics+3, Athletics +5, Arcana +4, History +4, Perception +3

Languages : Common, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic

Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting

Feat : Heavy Armor Master

Cantrips : Chill Touch & Shocking Grasp
1st-level Spells : Protection from Evil and Good, Shield, Thunderwave

Weapon Bond : Silvered Maul and a Handaxe

Equipment : Starting gear of Fighter and Sage background (weapons are Maul, Longbow, & Two Handaxes). Spell Component Pouch, 35gp. The maul is silvered by paying 100gp.

Last edited:

Tainted Powers

First Post
If your Paladin is a tank, then this seems pretty playable for your first 5e. I would definitely swap out Shocking Grasp for Shield spell. Shield spell is, in my opinion, the basic of an EK.

If your Paladin is not a tank then I suggest a Shield and a one handed weapon, Protection fighting style, and drop EK for Battle Master (Goading Attack, Parry and Distracting Strike (if your Rogue is melee, or Riposte if he is Ranged). I think you should definitely have at least one tank. :)

WarpedAcorn

First Post
Looks solid to me. The the only alternatives I would offer are:

Stats: Are you using the Standard Stat array?

Fighting Style: Take Defense over Great Weapon Fighting. Defense is basically always on and you benefit from it no matter what weapon you are using. Personally, I wasn't "WOW'D" by GWF when I used it previously.

Feat: Not going to argue with the utility of Heavy Armor Master at early levels, but if you plan on using 2-Handers I might suggest going ahead and picking up Great Weapon Mastery right off the bat. You might not want to take the -5 / +10 option often early on, but the ability to use a Bonus Action to get an extra swing if you finish off an enemy applies whether you are using a 2-Hander or not, making it pretty useful.

Cantrips: Good choice to have a ranged option, so no complaints here. Shocking Grasp can be useful if you want to get away as well.

Spells: Looks good here too. Shield is the big one, but Thunderwave can be very useful too.

Equipment: Smart move getting your weapon Silvered. =)

Shin Okada

Explorer
If your Paladin is a tank, then this seems pretty playable for your first 5e. I would definitely swap out Shocking Grasp for Shield spell. Shield spell is, in my opinion, the basic of an EK.

It seems that the Paladin is indeed a tank. And the Cleric is a rather tough guy. So I guess I can go somewhat striker-ish.

Looks solid to me. The the only alternatives I would offer are:

Stats: Are you using the Standard Stat array?

Fighting Style: Take Defense over Great Weapon Fighting. Defense is basically always on and you benefit from it no matter what weapon you are using. Personally, I wasn't "WOW'D" by GWF when I used it previously.

The game is using 27 point buy. I just thought having at least descent number in Dex and Wis (2 of 3 main saves) can be good. But maybe I can drop those 2 stats to 10 and then raise Int to 15 + 1 = 16.

Defensive against GWF. Yeah, maybe you are right. +1 AC can be more useful then +1.3 damages per hit. Especially in case of Eldritch knight whom also use spell attacks. And, no re-roll can make the game play faster.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Ok, now I have modified my plan a little

Human (variant) Fighter (Eldritch Knight)
Background : Sage

Starting Stats : STR 14+1(Human)+1(Feat)=16, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 15+1(human)=16, Wis 10, Cha 8

AC :16 (Chain Mail)
HP : 28

Proficient Skills : Acrobatics+2, Athletics +5, Arcana +5, History +5, Perception +2

Languages : Common, Elven, Dwarven, Draconic

Fighting Style: Defensive Style

Feat : Heavy Armor Master

Cantrips : Dancing Light, Fire Bolt
1st-level Spells : Protection from Evil and Good, Shield, Thunderwave

Weapon Bond : Silvered Maul and a Handaxe

Equipment : Starting gear of Fighter and Sage background (weapons are Maul, Pike, & Two Handaxes). Spell Component Pouch, 35gp. The maul is silvered by paying 100gp.

I have lowered Dex and Con for increasing INT to 16. And replaced cantrips. As the game is meant to involve Shadowfell and Undead monsters, at least the damage part of Chill Touch cantrip would be resisted often. And I think my Eldritch Knight does need some light source which he can use when wielding his Maul.

Moraine

First Post
Maybe being the first time you play D&D you could make a character without magic, as it would be easier. If youi like the concept of Eldritch Knight, go ahead.

Be careful with Dancing Lights cantrip, as it require Concentration, and Protection from Evil/Good too. Perhaps Light would be a better choice.

Ovarwa

Explorer
I would consider ignoring Fire Bolt, and maybe reinvesting in Con at the expense of Int; maybe even also Wisdom. As a fighter, you can come by damage very easily. But the utility and flexibility of cantrips like Lesser Illusion and Mage Hand expand your reach. Similarly, Thunderwave is maybe not the thing you most want. Find Familiar offers you so much more, for example, including a source of advantage in melee and lots of flavor. You won't be casting it that often, but that just gives you more opportunities to cast Shield. So many great spells require no great Int at all, though a decent Int helps the concept.

HAM is a great feat, so that's fine. (Although Polearm Mastery has something to be said for it too, or GWM, should you go either route.)

Anyway,

Ken

Shin Okada

Explorer
Maybe being the first time you play D&D you could make a character without magic, as it would be easier. If youi like the concept of Eldritch Knight, go ahead.

I have been playing D&D for more than 30 yeas. But the game will be my first 5e game.

Be careful with Dancing Lights cantrip, as it require Concentration, and Protection from Evil/Good too. Perhaps Light would be a better choice.

I have noticed that. Now I am thinking about swapping Dancing Lights for usual Light cantrip. By casting Light on a thrown weapon which my EK have weapon bond, he can throw that into some distant place, then retrieve it with a bonus action when needed.

As for Protection from Evil/Good, how about Feather Fall? It is quite a situational spell. But when needed, it is really needed.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I would consider ignoring Fire Bolt, and maybe reinvesting in Con at the expense of Int; maybe even also Wisdom. As a fighter, you can come by damage very easily. But the utility and flexibility of cantrips like Lesser Illusion and Mage Hand expand your reach. Similarly, Thunderwave is maybe not the thing you most want. Find Familiar offers you so much more, for example, including a source of advantage in melee and lots of flavor. You won't be casting it that often, but that just gives you more opportunities to cast Shield. So many great spells require no great Int at all, though a decent Int helps the concept.

That seems to be a quite interesting alternative. I will read 5e PHB more for utility spells.

Remove ads