D&D 5E 5e Warlord Demand Poll

How much demand is there for a dedicated warlord class??

• I am a player/DM of 5e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 61 26.3%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and would like a dedicated warlord class

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with WotC's current offerings for a warlord-esque class

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and am satisfied with the current 3rd party offerings for a warlord class

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • I am a player/DM of 5e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 94 40.5%
  • I am a player/DM of 4e and I don't care whether WotC designs a warlord class for 5e

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Well yeah but I'm curious if 4e players would actually convert to 5e given a warlord class or are they just adding to the noise in the 5e threads... and yes I have seen posters who don't play 5e but play 4e in the 5e warlord threads...

Didn't word it well to find that out.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Thanks to OP Imaro for creating a more nuanced Warlord poll on EN World. This is a lot better than the previous "All" or "None" poll, in which I did not bother to vote.

I'm no actuary or pollster, so I don't know whether it would have been better to make it all checkboxes (so respondents could choose more than one option) instead of radio buttons; nor do I know whether one of the options should have been, "I either don't care or am actively opposed"; but at least this poll is an effort in the right direction.

Mercule

Adventurer
EDIT: voted "don't care" but that is a lie. I do care. I actively don't want a warlord class.
I voted "satisfied" for similar reasons. I used to say "I don't care, would allow if it was any good." The truth is, though, that I would rather a Warlord class not take up the limited number of options players can process meaningfully. It's a waste of space.

The 4E Warlord was interesting for that game, which was tightly balanced around various roles and power sources. From a narrative approach, having martial classes do things that were more or less magical was a bit odd.

The third option is closest to my thoughts. I think the Battle Master maneuvers and the Purple Dragon Knight are the right idea, but their execution of that idea could be better. Commander's Strike's action cost is way too much to be all that useful, and the PDK's features should be rearranged (swap the Lv. 3 and Lv. 10, for starters).

So, basically, satisfied with the idea, though not the execution.

Last edited:

From Wikipedia :
"A warlord is a leader able to exercise military, economic, and political control over a subnational territory within a sovereign state due to his ability to mobilize loyal armed forces. These armed forces, usually considered militias, are loyal to the warlord rather than to the state regime. Warlords have existed throughout much of history, albeit in a variety of different capacities within the political, economic, and social structure of states or ungoverned territories."

I don't see the need of a class to play or role play this. Maybe a feat to allow a character of any class to recrute armed force.
Otherwise some people want the warlord to play specific combat feature:Move ally, make ally attack, non-magical healing.
That was good in 4ed, but in 5ed it is clunky.

Bawylie

A very OK person
From Wikipedia :
"A warlord is a leader able to exercise military, economic, and political control over a subnational territory within a sovereign state due to his ability to mobilize loyal armed forces. These armed forces, usually considered militias, are loyal to the warlord rather than to the state regime. Warlords have existed throughout much of history, albeit in a variety of different capacities within the political, economic, and social structure of states or ungoverned territories."

I don't see the need of a class to play or role play this. Maybe a feat to allow a character of any class to recrute armed force.
Otherwise some people want the warlord to play specific combat feature:Move ally, make ally attack, non-magical healing.
That was good in 4ed, but in 5ed it is clunky.

5E has plenty of clunky classes already. Another in a UA isn't going to harm anyone.

-Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads