D&D 5E Codifying Weapons

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So I remember back on the WotC forums for 4e, someone'd worked out a rough balance guide for creating weapons, based on the currently implemented ones.
I seek to do likewise, because it could be useful.

[sblock="Workings"]The maximum vanilla simple, one-handed weapon appears to be 1d6. Let's use that as the base.
The maximum vanilla martial, one-handed weapon is 1d8. It appears that martial adds a die size.

The maximum vanilla simple, two-handed weapon appears to be 1d8. So two-handed adds a die size?
But wait, the maximum (french) vanilla martial, two-handed weapon appears to be 1d12, which is two die sizes higher. Heavy must add a die size.

The maximum reach weapon appears to be one die size smaller than its non-reach cousin, so that must cost a die size.

With the exception of the Rapier (which I'm excluding because it's the only oddity), Finesse weapons are one die size smaller. Likewise with Light weapons.[/sblock]

From that I've formulated this simple (but not totally accurate, it leaves a few current weapons under-costed) procedure-thingy:

First, pick a base:

Base Melee One-Handed Weapon:
1d6

Base Ranged One-Handed Weapon:
1d4, Ammunition

Then apply the appropriate modifiers you want:

Alien: +2 die sizes.
Martial: +1 die size.
Two-Handed: +1 die size.
Heavy: +1 die size. Must be two-handed.
Loading: +1 die size. Ranged only.
Reach: -1 die size. Melee only.
Light: -1 die size.
Versatile: Excludes other costed effects. Melee only?
Thrown: Free.
Finesse: Free? Damn Dex/Str disparity.

The Alien tier comes from the Renaissance items in the DMG, and is described in further detail there (although I also recommend expanding the Weapon Master feat into it). Not going any further, because it seems likes ages beyond that just add a die (not a die size, a whole die, so 2d6 -> 3d6 rather than 2d8).

Thoughts?

Last edited:

I don't really know if they actually used a point-buy system to create the 5e weapons table, or just went with a more commonsense approach. The table is generic, but that generally works well: are there any weapons that you don't think that it already covers that you think would benefit from being generated by a point-buy system?
Note that nunchaku have been called out to be clubs - which works a bit better than the version mentioned here because it allows Monks to use them for example.

Where point-buy systems like these can be of help is as a starting point for a more complex weapon list incorporating additional special properties and suchlike if you feel the need for a system like that.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I don't really know if they actually used a point-buy system to create the 5e weapons table, or just went with a more commonsense approach. The table is generic, but that generally works well: are there any weapons that you don't think that it already covers that you think would benefit from being generated by a point-buy system?
Note that nunchaku have been called out to be clubs - which works a bit better than the version mentioned here because it allows Monks to use them for example.

Where point-buy systems like these can be of help is as a starting point for a more complex weapon list incorporating additional special properties and suchlike if you feel the need for a system like that.
Oh indeed.

I intend to add elemental damage, high crits, and the likes to my personal list (and then redo all the weapons so they're not over/undercosted).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Hmm...
I did have light (or finesse, I forget which) being free but restricted to 1d6 or smaller. Might have to change it back.

Might be easier to just redesign the weapons from scratch. I know a group that just uses 4e weapons and armor, with minor tweaks to account for 5e not doing proficiency the same way. Works well for them.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So I've worked out the current weapons according to my predictions:

NameDamage DiePropertiesDie Spare
Club1d4Light1 spare
Dagger1d4Light, Finesse, ThrownEqual cost
Greatclub1d8Two-HandedEqual cost
Handaxe1d6Light, ThrownEqual cost
Javelin1d6ThrownEqual cost
Light Hammer1d4Light, Thrown1 spare
Mace1d6--Equal cost