D&D 5E Codifying Weapons

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Seems like a lot more work than just eyeballing it.

Not really. If you just eyeball it you have to compare it to the other weapons on the list.
This you just list the properties you want, then work out the damage dice.

As an aside, what are the stars listed next to a thread?

Also have a Katana:

Katana:
Alien Martial Melee One-Handed Weapon
2d6 Slashing damage, Light, Versatile [2d8]

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Within melee weapons, heavy and two-handed are always given together. I would require them to be taken together, heavy is only a penalty if you are size small. (And could even be a positive because Great Weapon Master needs a heavy weapon.)

Right now I could create a one-handed d10 weapon (martial, heavy) that is better then any existing weapon for medium sized characters.

(And use it with both GWM and with Warlock(Hexblade)'s CHR-as-attack stat.)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Within melee weapons, heavy and two-handed are always given together. I would require them to be taken together, heavy is only a penalty if you are size small. (And could even be a positive because Great Weapon Master needs a heavy weapon.)

Right now I could create a one-handed d10 weapon (martial, heavy) that is better then any existing weapon for medium sized characters.

(And use it with both GWM and with Warlock(Hexblade)'s CHR-as-attack stat.)
I quite like that though. Although a die restriction would work better anyway, since it prevents heavy-light weapons.

Edit: Implemented a restriction that means the only way to get high enough die sizes is to go two-handed or be an alien weapon.

Last edited:

I quite like that though. Although a die restriction would work better anyway, since it prevents heavy-light weapons.
Blue's point however does illustrate one of the major downsides of point-buy weapons: the ability to game the system to produce weapons far superior to those in the PHB, at the expense of balance and belief.
Your example spiked chain and katana aren't even the most ridiculous examples of potential abuse: Blue pointed out one of the most powerful combos: allowing use of GWM alongside a shield, or even dual-wielding.

Heck, if 'Alien' only costs a feat, that would allow you to make them finesse, letting you dump Str, but still get the benefit of a Heavy weapon.
Well worth a feat, even before you start dual-wielding them.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Blue's point however does illustrate one of the major downsides of point-buy weapons: the ability to game the system to produce weapons far superior to those in the PHB, at the expense of balance and belief.
Your example spiked chain and katana aren't even the most ridiculous examples of potential abuse: Blue pointed out one of the most powerful combos: allowing use of GWM alongside a shield, or even dual-wielding.

Heck, if 'Alien' only costs a feat, that would allow you to make them finesse, letting you dump Str, but still get the benefit of a Heavy weapon.
Well worth a feat, even before you start dual-wielding them.
Eh, this is for DM use rather than player, so I assume some level of sanity check.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I could see two-handed finesse weapons. In the end of the day, balancing is ultimately up to the DM. If a weapon seems OP with finesse on it, don't allow it to have finesse.

Remove ads