• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What kind of Warlord design are you hoping for?

What kind of Warlord design are you hoping for?

• 3rd edition style "Marshal" that uses auras.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 4th edition style Warlord.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Current 5th edition Warlord style options.

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Brand new Warlord mechanics we've never seen.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Other: Discussion about things not covered by the poll.

Votes: 10 22.2%

Corpsetaker

First Post
I've created this poll just to get an idea of the type of Warlord people are hoping for.

Right now we basically have three types of Warlords, one from 3rd edition which was called the Marshal, the Warlord from 4th edition, and the Warlord types from 5th edition.

Let's see how we get on with the poll. I'm going to throw in a 'completely new design" option so people can discuss their own Warlord they would like to see.

mellored

Legend
The 5e warlord-y abilities are good. Except they are spread out over 3 sub-classes, so you can't get them in any serious quantity.

I'd also accept something brand new. Though I have no idea what that is, and it might be crap.

Also, did we really need another thread/poll?

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I voted "Other" because I can't vote for everything but the Marshall's auras.

What I want from a Warlord design is a class designed to enable me to play a character focused on playing a support role without needing to use magic to do so. I want it to be the spiritual successor to 4e's warlord while being built under the 5e philosophy.

I don't actually care about what specific mechanics are used, although I did say I'd have not voted for the Marshall's auras; they seem too magical to me (they'd probably work for me in a subclass, though, like how eldritch kniht and arcane trickster slip magic into their base classes).

Paul Smart

Explorer
What I would like to see is:

Bring together what we already have in 5e into a base class.
One subclass that focuses on the martial support side of the Warlord (helping allies and debuffing enemies)
One subclass that focuses on back line support and healing (the princess build)
One subclass that focuses on magic (Mage commander might be a good name) This keeps with 5e design philosophy.

Tony Vargas

Legend
There's some overlap, since the current 5e warlord-ish bits aren't that different from 4e's Warlord, just a very small subset. So MORE along the lines of 5e, or adapting more from 4e would probably both get us to the same place. Unless the 5e option is meant to be limited to just what we've seen so far?

But, I'm definitely most enthused about brand-new options. By all means, let's cover what's still missing from past editions, but let's also see better and new and expanded takes on what's come before, as well.

mellored

Legend
How did the marshal worked?
You has 2 different aura's. One gave +Cha to something (will saves, fort saves, charisma checks, ect...).
The other gave +1-4 to something (melee attacks, AC, ranged attacks).
You could switch your aura's at-will.

Pretty close to a 5e paladin with crusader's mantle. Except much weaker.

They could also grant extra movement a few times a day.

Here's the full class if you want to look
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b

ccs

41st lv DM
None. I'm hoping Wizards doesn't design a warlord for this edition.

So I guess "other" is my vote.

Oofta

Legend
:rant: Anything that will stop these incessant warlord thread. There's, what 10 threads on the first page? :rant:

Ok, now that I have my rant out of the way, carry on. If you want yet another thread to beat the dead horse feel free to ignore this post.

Tony Vargas

Legend
None. I'm hoping Wizards doesn't design a warlord for this edition.
[sarcasm]Well, here's hoping that they do, and that you get stuck playing one from 1-20.

Because I have as much right to hope that the way I'd like to play D&D is forced down your throat as you do.[/sarcasm]

Which is to say, no right at all.

Enjoy playing D&D with no Warlord for the rest of your life, because nothing can ever force you to use an optional class you don't want to.
Count your blessings (starting with that one), and try to grow a little, tiny bit of basic consideration for your fellow human beings, and maybe even your fellow gamers.

:rant: Anything that will stop these incessant warlord thread. .
Two things could.

1) WotC kills some trees and puts a decent (I dare to hope superior) 5e version of the Warlord class in print.

2) People resist the temptation to bump these threads by replying to them.

Last edited:

Remove ads