• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What kind of Warlord design are you hoping for?

What kind of Warlord design are you hoping for?

• 3rd edition style "Marshal" that uses auras.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 4th edition style Warlord.

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Current 5th edition Warlord style options.

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Brand new Warlord mechanics we've never seen.

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Other: Discussion about things not covered by the poll.

Votes: 10 22.2%

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think 5e does the Warlord mechanics just fine, it just needs to live in a class dedicated to the concept, rather than only being available as 20-30% of what your character can do, at best, because that is how subclasses work.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I've no preference for a particular ''warlord'' type, tho I'd like if they try to use 5e's mechanics rather than try to emulate older editions. Emulation always seems forced.

On another note, I'd be cool with a ''leader-y'' archetype with warlord-ish features for every classes. Some players from 4e may remember specific warlord Paragon Paths for multiclass warlord with different flavors.
Guildmaster Thief: Rogue mastering the art to gang beatdown
Sainted General: Paladin/Warlord, already has the aura mechanic, use it to add leader-y stuff
Commando Captain: Ranger/warlord focusing on stealth and movement.
Spell Commander: Caster leader who helps the caster in the party with spell recovery, sharing and accuracy

etc

CapnZapp

Legend
On another note, I'd be cool with a ''leader-y'' archetype with warlord-ish features for every classes.
Do note this is directly incompatible with the idea of a "full" Warlord-y class, since every existing class brings its own set of abilities that crowds out the ones you need for the full experience.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Do note this is directly incompatible with the idea of a "full" Warlord-y class, since every existing class brings its own set of abilities that crowds out the ones you need for the full experience.

Oh, I totally support the idea of a full-class warlord, I'm just saying that I'd also have fun with ''warlord'y'' bits added to other classes thru archetypes. Like having a full-class mage doesnt prevent the existence of the arcane trickster or eldrith knight. Rogue already has the mastermind, fighter has the battlemaster/PDK as ''leader-ish'' archetypes and I'd would enjoy other warlord-light archetypes on other classes.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Oh, I totally support the idea of a full-class warlord, I'm just saying that I'd also have fun with ''warlord'y'' bits added to other classes thru archetypes. Like having a full-class mage doesnt prevent the existence of the arcane trickster or eldrith knight. Rogue already has the mastermind, fighter has the battlemaster/PDK as ''leader-ish'' archetypes and I'd would enjoy other warlord-light archetypes on other classes.
It seems like the fighter and rogue (perhaps for wont of stronger class identity/features?) are the classes that happens with, either in the direction you cite (EK/AT, PDK/Masstermind) or in the opposite direction (Valor Bard, War Cleric, & Bladesinger all pull in fighter to their class; Criminal Background seems to do a fair job of pulling in rogue for anyone).

I suppose the Warlord could be unique in having stronger class identity/features (thus fighter or rogue pulling it in, already) /and/ being a martial class like fighter and rogue, with archetypes quite possibly prone to pulling in supernatural elements as they do (like a psi Ardent for instance).

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
... So now I'm hoping against you. And my hope expands! In the eventuality that you do get your 5e WL? I hope it's terribly designed. Much worse than the PHB beast-master ranger. And I hope any revisions take forever & don't help it much.
Keep it civil, please. It's fine to be silly on these boards, but that was just rude.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I want a "noble" class, a nonmagical support character who does not rely on dealing damage personally. Something like the "lazy warlord" builds from 4E, where you never swung a sword yourself but instead used Commander's Strike every round to give your allies extra attacks. Subclasses could specialize in taunts/distractions, inspiring allies, and tactical advantage.

If we're going to have a new base class, it should cover more ground than just "battlemaster fighter with maneuvers turned up and Extra Attack turned down."

Remember this guy?

Noble

(Dragonlance Campaign Setting variant, p. 50)

Nobles have the ability to use their background, education, natural charm, and skills in social maneuvering to their advantage in day-to-day lives.
Requirements

The noble class may be taken only at 1st level. This reflects the idea that one is born to this class.

Hit die

d8
Alignment

Any
Starting gold

Not listed in the book.
Skill points

4 + Int
Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The noble is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons, light armor, and shields. Some armor types incur armor check penalties to the skills Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand, Swim, and Tumble.

Bonus Class Skill: At 1st level, a noble may designate any one cross-class skill as a class skill. This represents an area of study the noble character has pursued on his own.

Favor: The noble has the ability to call in favors from those he knows. By making a favor check, the noble can call upon contacts to gain important information without going through the time and trouble of a Gather Information check. Favors can also be used to acquire the loan of equipment or documents from influential acquaintances.

To call in a favor, the noble makes a favor check. Roll a d20 and add teh character's favor bonus (+1 at 1st level, +2 at 3rd level, and so on). The DM sets the DC based on the scope of the favor being requested. The DC ranges from 10 for a simple favor to as high as 25 for highly dangerous, expensive, or illegal favors. The noble can't take 10 or take 20 on this check, nor can he retry the check for the same (or virtually the same) favor. Favors should help advance the plot of an adventure. A favor that would enable a character to circumvent an adventure should always be unavailable to the character, regardless of the results of a favor check.

A noble can try to call in a favor a number of times in a week of game time that's equal to half his noble levels, rounded down (minimum one). So a 1st-level noble can attempt to call in a single favor per week, while a 7th-level noble can attempt to call in favors as many as three times from different contacts.

The DM should carefully monitor the noble's use of favors to ensure that this ability isn't abused. The success or failure of a mission shouldn't hinge on the use of a favor, and calling in favors shouldn't replace good roleplaying or the use of other skills. The DM may disallow any favor deemed to be disruptive to the campaign.

Inspire Confidence: beginning at 2nd level, a noble can use oratory to inspire confidence in allies, bolstering them and improving their chances of success. An ally must listen to and observe the noble for a full round for the inspiration to take hold. The effects last for 5 rounds. The noble can inspire a number of allies equal to half his noble levels, rounded up.

An ally inspred with confidence gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls.

The noble can't inspire confidence in himself. The ability only aids his allies.

Coordinate: A noble has a knack fo rgetting people to work together. When the noble can aid others and give directions, he provides a bonus to the task at hand by making an aid another check. This bonus is in addition to the normal aid another bonus of +2, and it increases as the noble gains levels. Therefore, the noble provides a total of +3 bonus at 4th level (+2 aid another bonus, +1 cooperation bonus), a +4 bonus at 8th level, and so on.

This ability can't be used to assist in combat.

Inspire Greatness: Beginning at 11th level, a noble can inspire greatness in an ally, granting extra fighting capability. This works similar to inspire confidence, except it affects but a single ally. An ally inspired with greatness gains +2d6 temporary hit points, a +2 competence bonus on attacks, and a +2 moral bonus on saving throws. The effect last for 5 rounds. The noble can inspire greatness once per day. For every three levels beyond 11th, the noble can inspire greatness in one additional ally.

The noble can't inspire greatness in himself. The ability only aids his allies.
Advancement
Table 2-4: The Noble
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Special
1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Bonus class skill, favor +1
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Inspire confidence 1/day
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Favor +2
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 Coordinate +1
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Inspire confidence 2/day
6th +4 +2 +5 +5
7th +5 +2 +5 +5 Favor +3
8th +6/+1 +2 +6 +6 Coordinate +2
9th +6/+1 +3 +6 +6 Inspire confidence 3/day
10th +7/+2 +3 +7 +7
11th +8/+3 +3 +7 +7 Inspire greatness (1 ally)
12th +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 Favor +4
13th +9/+4 +4 +8 +8 Coordinate +3, inspire confidence 4/day
14th +10/ +5 +4 +9 +9 Inspire greatness (2 allies)
15th +11/+6/+1 +5 +9 +9
16th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Favor +5
17th +12/+7/+2 +5 +10 +10 Inspire confidence 5/day, inspire greatness (3 allies)
18th +13/+8/+3 +6 +11 +11 Coordinate +4
19th +14/+9/+4 +6 +11 +11
20th +15/+10/+5 +6 +12 +12 Coordinate +5, inspire greatness (4 allies)

Dausuul

Legend
Remember this guy?
Not what I'm looking for. My key requirement is does not rely on dealing damage personally. That means you need to be able to contribute fully in combat while never swinging a sword or casting a spell. The noble class you listed doesn't work that way; once you've handed out inspiration to your allies, you go back to beating on people with a stick.

Corwin

Explorer
Not what I'm looking for. My key requirement is does not rely on dealing damage personally. That means you need to be able to contribute fully in combat while never swinging a sword or casting a spell. The noble class you listed doesn't work that way; once you've handed out inspiration to your allies, you go back to beating on people with a stick.
Bah! I'm going next level! I'm looking for a class that lets my character contribute fully in every aspect of the adventuring day, not just combat, from the comfort of his home sitting in his plush recliner chair!

What's awesome about this concept is that I even have literary, cinematic and trope support to back it up!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads