D&D 5E (OOC) (5E) The Village

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
87 years ago, brave frontier-folk built a village on the shores of Lake Meviiran. The land is cold, with winter winds blowing down from the Uldorst Mountains across the lake for nearly six months. To the east, the rugged conifers of the Uldorst Wood climb their up the mountains around the far side of the lake. And to the west, the Forbidden Barrows - an ancient burial site of the elven clans who once claimed this land centuries before.

The Village of Meviiran is isolated and pays only lip service to the Sovereign to the south, paying their annual taxes in fish scales, lumber, and goat cheese. Otherwise, Praeden Veeth, the village barber, presides over any disputes and sees to the village's defenses when needed.

With a population of just over 100 people, everyone knows everyone in Meviiran Village, from the Pruitt Family (lumberjacks all) to Daaven, the village priest as well as the village drunk.

An urgent message arrived for the Sovereign a few weeks...Meviiran has asked for aid in dealing with a rash of attacks by undead from the Forbidden Barrows.

Something has disturbed the dead.

Hello and welcome to my latest attempt at a Play-by-Post. This one is focused small and relatively short so it should reach a satisfying conclusion with the option to continue to a second adventure if everyone wants to.

You may roll 4d6, drop the lowest for ability scores, or use point buy, whichever you prefer. Please limit character options to the Player's Handbook. Variant humans are allowed.

Characters can be from the Sovereign Lands to the south (any class or race, though the kingdom is left intentionally vague at this point) or be a native of Meviiran (humans and half-orcs only with the half-orcs being a few generations out from the original mingling of orc and human blood and born to human families).

Looking to overbook a little and have about 8 players to account for attrition.

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Definitely doing a Drow. I love Drow culture. He'd be a Drow male who came to the surface because Drow males don't get far in Drow society. Ambitious and clever, he is always on the lookout for a bit of fun.

Now I need to settle on a class. I've got to decide on Magic vs Martial. I've always loved the idea of a Drow mage, though. I'll have to think about it.

Any thoughts on the surface culture, and how magic is viewed? I'm assuming Drow are still usually considered "Evil" by the surface world.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Like I said, I'm in.

Was thinking of a drow, too. Perhaps we came from the same place? Perhaps we're brothers, literally or metaphorically? (If you don't like that idea, feel free to say so.)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I tweak drow a bit for my settings - they are pale instead of black and they're animosity toward the surface world and surface elves comes from no attempts being to rescue them when the drow, duergar, and svirfneblin clans were captures by aberrations and enslaved in the underdark several millennia ago.

That said, most surface folks have no idea what a drow is. Even most elves consider them to be only fairy tales and legends.

As for magic, it is fairly common in the Sovereign Lands, but Meviiran hasn't had a magic-using resident in nearly 50 years so the locals tend to distrust it.

tglassy

Adventurer
:/ Aren't dark elves supposed to be...dark...? I'm very well acquainted with the culture of Forgotten Realms Drow, so you'd have to explain the differences in your campaign.

But I like the idea of having a pair of Drow going to the surface together. What class were you thinking, [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION]? I'm still leaning towards magic, though with the Drow weapon training, he'd still be able to do a little fighting.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
:/ Aren't dark elves supposed to be...dark...? I'm very well acquainted with the culture of Forgotten Realms Drow, so you'd have to explain the differences in your campaign.

But I like the idea of having a pair of Drow going to the surface together. What class were you thinking, [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION]? I'm still leaning towards magic, though with the Drow weapon training, he'd still be able to do a little fighting.

Not necessarily...they are from the dark, aka underdark. I modeled them on the Shadow Elves of the BECMI Known World/Mystara setting. Culturally, they are fairly similar to standard drow.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases