The Expanse

Ryujin

Legend
AFAIK, you can't store heat under thrust. That's why you'd void the heat sinks at that time.

Think of it like a submarine. There are many things they can mask, but sounds can only be dampened to a certain point. And while the most modern subs are incredibly quiet when moving, they're not undetectably so. The stealthiest propellers still make noise. So one of submariners' tactics to maintain stealth is immobility.

Likewise, a stealth spacecraft would only use thrusters when absolutely necessary. With good heat sinks, and insulation, such a ship not under power might be virtually indistinguishable from debris or meteoroids.

If you could columnate your thrust and duct your waste heat out along the same path, then put energy absorbent/refractory panels elsewhere, you would have essentially a single line along which easy detection would be possible. Passive sensors only when "running silent."

cmad1977

Hero
I read the books, and just reread them in the past month. Frankly, The Expanse is one of the best adaptations I've ever seen. The books are excellent, and the show is, in many ways, even better.

I felt that way about the LoTR movies. I felt like they were the best adaptation of book to film for a modern audience. I'll have to give The Expanse books a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nellisir

Hero
I felt that way about the LoTR movies. I felt like they were the best adaptation of book to film for a modern audience. I'll have to give The Expanse books a look.

The books are...I don't know that I'd call them deep, or game-changing, but they're *solid*. They are good SF, with alien goop, and people getting spaced, and power armor, and spaceship guns, and all that stuff. It's a lot like a really good D&D campaign in space, I think.

One thing to consider regarding stealth in space is that we're talking about a solar system that is partially settled. So there are more heat sources then we have now, and figuring out if one source is relevant might take more time then it does now. And it's also one thing to detect "there is something" and to identify the exact position of it. If you have only up-to-date sensor information from one ship, it might not be enough to estimate the correct distance.

----

I really enjoy The Expanse so far. Nice to see a more reality-grounded Sci-Fi show with a complex storyline. Dark Matter and KillJoys are a bit more action-fun and err on the fantastic side, for example.

Hussar

Legend
I adored season 1 of this show. Picked it up on Netflix and just devoured it. Complex, good characters, fantastic story, lots and lots of goodies. Want MORE.

And I second Killjoys and Dark Matter. Totally different shows, but, still tons of fun. I probably favor Killjoys just because it's a bit less of a Serenity ripo... err... inspired by Serenity.

So The Expanse is on season five now, and while I've been hot and cold about this season, the last two episodes have both had endings that were wonderfully badass. Who else is watching it?

I haven't read the books, but I might need to pick them up after this season ends to bridge until the sixth season.

Nellisir

Hero
So The Expanse is on season five now, and while I've been hot and cold about this season, the last two episodes have both had endings that were wonderfully badass. Who else is watching it?

I haven't read the books, but I might need to pick them up after this season ends to bridge until the sixth season.
I'm here for it every Wednesday.

Vael

Legend

I read the first two books, kinda dropped them after that.

Super enjoying the series, this season is stronger than last for me. Didn't care for the extended planet stay.

Remove ads