The Expanse

fnordland

Explorer
Naomi's "solo session" lasted too looong. Even as a fan of the series, I found myself fast forwarding her plot line even when watching it 1st time.

Nothing was happening at all. I could have been condensed into single episode. It would be more interesting and fast paced.
I disagree with this sentiment. Naomi's "solo session" connected the interrogation sequence with Lt Lopez & Naomi and the arc of her character. Lopez correctly noted that Naomi is a terrorist with blood on her hands, Lopez is a hero who enables the crew to get to the Rocinante and then turns the ship over to them. Naomi has abandoned a son and was an integral of a terrorist bombing. The death ship of the Chetzemoka is her purgatory, her search for redemption. In the Churn that is history we reflect and re-examine both characters.

'The stars are better off without us'. This season has been about her drive to resolve her past. I welcome it and I think Ms Tipper did a great turn.

Mallus

Legend
The death ship of the Chetzemoka is her purgatory, her search for redemption. In the Churn that is history we reflect and re-examine both characters.
One of the best things about season 5 is how we get a much fuller account of both Naomi and Amos's history without ever resorting to flashbacks, outside of Amos's visions of his childhood self, which were still occurring in the present.

Damn good writing (and acting).

Janx

Hero
I disagree with this sentiment. Naomi's "solo session" connected the interrogation sequence with Lt Lopez & Naomi and the arc of her character. Lopez correctly noted that Naomi is a terrorist with blood on her hands, Lopez is a hero who enables the crew to get to the Rocinante and then turns the ship over to them. Naomi has abandoned a son and was an integral of a terrorist bombing. The death ship of the Chetzemoka is her purgatory, her search for redemption. In the Churn that is history we reflect and re-examine both characters.

'The stars are better off without us'. This season has been about her drive to resolve her past. I welcome it and I think Ms Tipper did a great turn.
yes, but visually it sucked.

For an audience or reader, you can get away with 3 repetitions before it gets repetitive. Especially if there's not much variance. All we saw was Naomi suit up, waddle down a hall, come back and cry. We had little context into what she was doing. So while technically, she'd do something different every so often, we didn't really know what it was. The most obvious thing was when she changed the message.

It ended up being Naomi does much of the same thing over three or four episodes with no progress. Not normally good storytelling. The opposite actually.

So while you are spot on what it meant. Doesn't mean it was all that great to watch.

Remove ads