• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Expanse

Having now seen the finale, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. Without spoiling anything for those that haven't seen it, it feels they skipped over a lot of things in a hurry, that would have been far more interesting to see unfold over the last 3 episodes of the season. Instead they drag Naomi's plot on forever, and it really started to bore me. This whole season was a bit messy, and how they deal with the issues behind the scenes with one of the actors, by changing the plot from the books, feels not entirely right to me.

Ryujin

Legend
Having now seen the finale, I'm feeling a bit underwhelmed. Without spoiling anything for those that haven't seen it, it feels they skipped over a lot of things in a hurry, that would have been far more interesting to see unfold over the last 3 episodes of the season. Instead they drag Naomi's plot on forever, and it really started to bore me. This whole season was a bit messy, and how they deal with the issues behind the scenes with one of the actors, by changing the plot from the books, feels not entirely right to me.
Given what happened it was either replace the actor, in the style of a soap opera ("Today the character of James will be played by an actor who looks nothing like the original"), or give the character a heartfelt exit. I think the latter was the way to go and was well done.

Given what happened it was either replace the actor, in the style of a soap opera ("Today the character of James will be played by an actor who looks nothing like the original"), or give the character a heartfelt exit. I think the latter was the way to go and was well done.

I completely understand why they did what they did, but it still feels jarring. It is also a shame when the show feels it needs to depart from the plot in the books because of the actor's real life behavior. I realize that it is a bit late to recast him now. It would be utterly bizar to have a completely different actor playing the part for the last 2 seasons (it was bizarre when Game of Throne recast Daario for example). And of course the things he did behind the scenes are inexcusable and should be condemned. But the way the season now ends, feels very unnatural and a bit of a betrayal of the source material and the character. There might not be a good way to solve this.

MarkB

Legend
I completely understand why they did what they did, but it still feels jarring. It is also a shame when the show feels it needs to depart from the plot in the books because of the actor's real life behavior. I realize that it is a bit late to recast him now. It would be utterly bizar to have a completely different actor playing the part for the last 2 seasons (it was bizarre when Game of Throne recast Daario for example). And of course the things he did behind the scenes are inexcusable and should be condemned. But the way the season now ends, feels very unnatural and a bit of a betrayal of the source material and the character. There might not be a good way to solve this.
To be fair, the entire conclusion of this season is a departure from the novels, not just the writing-out of Alex, and I think that is a deliberate choice in recognition of the fact that they simply will not have enough episodes to fully explore the conclusion of the series as it happens in the books (which, for one thing, haven't actually concluded - it's still an ongoing story as of the one most recently published).

So I think they do have a conclusion in mind, one which will hopefully pick up some of the major plot elements of the subsequent novels, and what they are enacting now is the course-change that's needed in order to steer towards that conclusion.

Ryujin

Legend
To be fair, the entire conclusion of this season is a departure from the novels, not just the writing-out of Alex, and I think that is a deliberate choice in recognition of the fact that they simply will not have enough episodes to fully explore the conclusion of the series as it happens in the books (which, for one thing, haven't actually concluded - it's still an ongoing story as of the one most recently published).

So I think they do have a conclusion in mind, one which will hopefully pick up some of the major plot elements of the subsequent novels, and what they are enacting now is the course-change that's needed in order to steer towards that conclusion.
And real life rarely intrudes upon literature, unless the event is the death of the author. There are realities that must be dealt with, day-to-day, when it comes to live production.

Nellisir

Hero
I thought the finale was fine. They didn't call out the level of misdirection that's going on with Marco and the Martians, but it makes sense to keep Marco as an opponent for some of the last season. Not the strongest season overall, but head and shoulders above almost anything else out there regardless.

The acting and characters have just been amazing. Like, jaw-droppingly good. Amos, obviously, and his awareness of his own weaknesses ("I need to get back to my people."). And how he brought Peaches onto the Rocinante. The writers mentioned how amazing Dominique Tipper was by herself, without anyone to play off of, and they're right. And Holden's absolutely belief in what needs to be done, damn the rest. Plus Drummer, and Avasarala (I'm convinced she's the sole reason for the strong language warning in the beginning of each show), and even Marco. I hadn't thought about Marco, but it's a credit that I never think of the actor when he's on screen. It's just Marco Inaros, the solar system's biggest a-hole.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I thought the finale was fine. They didn't call out the level of misdirection that's going on with Marco and the Martians, but it makes sense to keep Marco as an opponent for some of the last season. Not the strongest season overall, but head and shoulders above almost anything else out there regardless.

The acting and characters have just been amazing. Like, jaw-droppingly good. Amos, obviously, and his awareness of his own weaknesses ("I need to get back to my people."). And how he brought Peaches onto the Rocinante. The writers mentioned how amazing Dominique Tipper was by herself, without anyone to play off of, and they're right. And Holden's absolutely belief in what needs to be done, damn the rest. Plus Drummer, and Avasarala (I'm convinced she's the sole reason for the strong language warning in the beginning of each show), and even Marco. I hadn't thought about Marco, but it's a credit that I never think of the actor when he's on screen. It's just Marco Inaros, the solar system's biggest a-hole.

Avasarala more or less the best part of the show.

Not a fan of Inaros, means the actors doing his job.

Drummer is awesome.

Ryujin

Legend
Avasarala more or less the best part of the show.

Not a fan of Inaros, means the actors doing his job.

Drummer is awesome.
The scenes between Amos and Avasarala, where Amos shows his obvious attraction to that very strong woman, are some of the best in the series for me. Any of the actors who are constantly speaking in Belter Patois aren't getting their due, for just how tough a job they have. Drummer is one of them. It puts me in mind of the scenes in the webseries "JourneyQuest", in which the actors have to carry on whole conversations in the Matt Vancil created version of Orcish.

Horwath

Legend
100% agree.

I just hope Expanse will not get GoT treatment in final season as they wanted to reduce the number of total episodes.

Naomi's "solo session" lasted too looong. Even as a fan of the series, I found myself fast forwarding her plot line even when watching it 1st time.

Nothing was happening at all. I could have been condensed into single episode. It would be more interesting and fast paced.

Remove ads