• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Expanse

I haven't had any issues with the audio, but I do get another oddity - for some reason, any prominent signage visible on screen gets captioned in what I think is German, despite captions being turned off.
i got this as well-noticed it during the memorial scene. Thought it was me at first

MarkB

Legend
After Episode 8 and 9 felt a little like treading water to me ... still enjoyable, but just not moving forward much, the finale made up for it in spades. Solid action all around. Looking forward to next season.
Yeah, when episodes 8 and 9 both ended with Naomi suiting up to go back into that utility space, it definitely felt like they'd dragged out her fate over too many episodes.

Generally, the show still feels like it's catching up on several threads from the novels, but they've done enough set-up at this point that they should be able to hit at least the high notes from the remaining novels next season if it is to be the final one.

Mallus

Legend
Generally, the show still feels like it's catching up on several threads from the novels, but they've done enough set-up at this point that they should be able to hit at least the high notes from the remaining novels next season if it is to be the final one.
Judging from the final scene, they sure are setting up the events in books 7 - 9. I really wonder how much, if any, gets folded into season 6? Would love to see a single high-budget season finish out the final trilogy. If Amazon is really out, I wonder if HBO could do it... Those B5 remasters are a nice start, but they need some more sci-fi content.

(but please not a 2nd season of Watchmen - one was near-perfect & enough)

I wonder if different pacing would have helped, or if there needed to be some additional POV character to let us see more of the conflict, or even just having the Rocinante stop off some places rather than constantly being in space. Because yeah, it felt like it dragged and retreaded some plot beats. There were fewer instances of characters being tempted to switch sides, or folks maneuvering politically to change the balance of power, or even much inter-personal conflict that had any chance of shifting the story.

I'm not a book reader. How did the book compare?

MarkB

Legend
I wonder if different pacing would have helped, or if there needed to be some additional POV character to let us see more of the conflict, or even just having the Rocinante stop off some places rather than constantly being in space. Because yeah, it felt like it dragged and retreaded some plot beats. There were fewer instances of characters being tempted to switch sides, or folks maneuvering politically to change the balance of power, or even much inter-personal conflict that had any chance of shifting the story.

I'm not a book reader. How did the book compare?
The book had more setbacks for Inaros, and showcased his ability to spin each new change of plans into "Ah, but this was the real plan all along!"

The Belters' management of the Ring gates was also a plot point, with Medina station becoming more fleshed out and having some importance to the plot. The exodus of colonists from both Mars and the Belt played a larger role as a political turning point for both factions.

Vael

Legend
From what I've heard, isn't there also a time skip or two in the books? I dunno, I started the third book, but haven't read past there.

Nellisir

Hero
The book had more setbacks for Inaros, and showcased his ability to spin each new change of plans into "Ah, but this was the real plan all along!"

The Belters' management of the Ring gates was also a plot point, with Medina station becoming more fleshed out and having some importance to the plot. The exodus of colonists from both Mars and the Belt played a larger role as a political turning point for both factions.
I haven't seen the finale yet, but yeah - the series has sorta undersold his constant need to be right. EVERYTHING was "according to plan", even as it totally disintegrated. He was simply unable to ever recognize a failure or a mistake.

Remove ads