The Expanse

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Nothing hurts me quite like the insane claim that Amos is from Baltimore. If he says he's from Bal-ti-more (as opposed to Bawlmur, Mairlyn), then he's not from Baltimore, MD.

Ryujin

Legend
Nothing hurts me quite like the insane claim that Amos is from Baltimore. If he says he's from Bal-ti-more (as opposed to Bawlmur, Mairlyn), then he's not from Baltimore, MD.
Perhaps diction has come full circle, with easily available world wide communications, and now people actually speak in comprehensible sentences ;)

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
Perhaps diction has come full circle, with easily available world wide communications, and now people actually speak in comprehensible sentences ;)
Humanity might have the Epstein Drive and Ring Gates but e-in in 2350, foke don by Dundock'll still be gidn drunk awn sh**ty Naddy Bo by duh wooder and mashin erry wurd, n madder how lawn, inna tew sillbulls.

Signed,

Some schmuck who grew up outside of Warshington.

Nellisir

Hero
There's some chatter about problems with Inaros in the TV show being a soap opera villain and cookie cutter terrorist.

I worry if the book version's worse. Just finished book 3 the other day.
Really? I wasn't too thrilled with the book version but it's making a lot more sense to me in the context of the show. He's a classic manipulator/con-man/sociopath. He has no empathy; everyone is a tool to be used; he's charming and manipulative and HAS to be seen and admired and make it look like EVERYTHING is his idea/under his control; and frankly he has massive weak spots that haven't really been revealed in the show yet. There are reasons he spent so long as a fairly minor player in the Belt, and reasons why he jumped up to the big leagues.

He reminds me of a certain recent President, tbh.

Vael

Legend
Well, as noted, just giving over warships goes way beyond money to the Martians. There has to be more in play, at least from the Martian perspective, for them to support Inaros.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I was voted Avasarala/Shohreh's biggest fan in the old Expanse fan group when they were on sci-fi, I didn't follow them over to Amazon, as I try to avoid anything to do with them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well, as noted, just giving over warships goes way beyond money to the Martians. There has to be more in play, at least from the Martian perspective, for them to support Inaros.
Sure. We're also watching the rapid and potentially complete unravelling of the Martian identity. Before the ring, the Martians had a certain level of unity imposed by the need to terraform Mars. They endured, together, for the promises made to future generations on the only other rock in the solar system capable of that sort of habitation. Then the ring's gates offer a (probably) much easier path to terrestrial life now instead of generations down the line.
That's a pretty big factor in play.

Ryujin

Legend
Sure. We're also watching the rapid and potentially complete unravelling of the Martian identity. Before the ring, the Martians had a certain level of unity imposed by the need to terraform Mars. They endured, together, for the promises made to future generations on the only other rock in the solar system capable of that sort of habitation. Then the ring's gates offer a (probably) much easier path to terrestrial life now instead of generations down the line.
That's a pretty big factor in play.
And Inaros is their most likely path to the Ring Worlds, so "me first" starts to enter play rather heavily.

Mallus

Legend
There's some chatter about problems with Inaros in the TV show being a soap opera villain and cookie cutter terrorist.

I worry if the book version's worse. Just finished book 3 the other day.
I think the show’s version of Inaros is better than the book’s. Much like with Klaes Ashford, who is a disposable one-dimensional villain in the novels.

The actor playing Macro is doing a good job putting the character’s weaknesses on display. You really get a sense of why he won, to the extent he did, and why it’s inevitable he’ll lose (aside from being on the wrong side of Holden & Naomi, etc.).

Last edited:

Remove ads