Any expeerience with Injury Cards in play?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There would be a surgery Martial Practice level 4 for removing lesser afflictions caused by weapon attacks ... and mayhaps a ritual for doing ones caused by spell effects LOL

Although it one has the time one should be able to let it fade by disease track

Last edited:

I do now remember a big discussion on the WOTC forums about voluntary heroic accepting of an affliction for some immediate benefit...

Although I also recall the concept of the wound that never heals and tends to reopen on you as part of your character which is sort of a mythic idea alah Lancelot.

Yeah, both of those could use the same 'afflictions' rule, the disease track. Though obviously the Launcelot sort would require some kind of magical cure. This is something I added to the 4e disease track concept is an idea of prerequisites to make checks (not that it is really missing in 4e per-se, but it seems never to have been really explored as an option, the disease rules ARE pretty open-ended, they just ignored them a whole lot).

There would be a surgery Martial Practice level 4 for removing lesser afflictions caused by weapon attacks ... and mayhaps a ritual for doing ones caused by spell effects LOL

Although it one has the time one should be able to let it fade by disease track

I would say that using such a thing would mean you get to use your MP/Ritual in place of the victim's usual recovery check. So, you basically cure them of one level of affliction. They may not be ENTIRELY recovered, but they'll be better off. You could also rule that instead of being in place of the usual check that it is an EXTRA check, so it would possibly speed their cure a whole bunch.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I would say that using such a thing would mean you get to use your MP/Ritual in place of the victim's usual recovery check. So, you basically cure them of one level of affliction. They may not be ENTIRELY recovered, but they'll be better off. You could also rule that instead of being in place of the usual check that it is an EXTRA check, so it would possibly speed their cure a whole bunch.

That could keep the wound a more serious concept and less of an easy throw money at it.... depending on how long between the application of surgery or ritual you had to wait to help further.

That could keep the wound a more serious concept and less of an easy throw money at it.... depending on how long between the application of surgery or ritual you had to wait to help further.

Yeah, you could have less serious wounds have shorter check intervals and lesser penalties. So a 'broken toe' might be a fairly modest thing, with 2 points in its track. One that is initial, where you're say slowed, and another where you just get -1 to speed. You start with the worse of the two, and a heal check can cut you back to the first one (IE you splinted the damned thing and put some padding in your boot, now you just limp a bit). A 'remove affliction' could then push that to the 'cured' state, or you can wait a day and use heal again (maybe you ice it up and get the swelling down and its essentially better).

A more severe wound "foot crushed" might have week or even month interval recovery rolls, and much more severe penalties, and 3 sections on its track. A ritual that cuts that down by one severity level would be pretty NICE!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, you could have less serious wounds have shorter check intervals and lesser penalties. So a 'broken toe' might be a fairly modest thing, with 2 points in its track. One that is initial, where you're say slowed, and another where you just get -1 to speed. You start with the worse of the two, and a heal check can cut you back to the first one (IE you splinted the damned thing and put some padding in your boot, now you just limp a bit). A 'remove affliction' could then push that to the 'cured' state, or you can wait a day and use heal again (maybe you ice it up and get the swelling down and its essentially better).

A more severe wound "foot crushed" might have week or even month interval recovery rolls, and much more severe penalties, and 3 sections on its track. A ritual that cuts that down by one severity level would be pretty NICE!

I am still envisioning pretty abstracted LOL

I am still envisioning pretty abstracted LOL

I think the advantage of using disease mechanics is you really can make it pretty detailed if you want. Where ordinary conditions are just binary, and in 4e normally very ephemeral, afflictions are (potentially) durable and can exist in various states, so you can add a little depth to the experience.

I think if something is pretty trivial, then it should be a condition. If its just going to be 'slowed because your toe is sore' for the rest of the fight, well, that isn't really much of a wound! I guess that could be the most mild sort of 'payment'.

So, maybe there's room for a scale of effects. If you just want to avoid something minor, like an UEOYNT condition, then an equally minor condition, or maybe SLIGHTLY worse to account for the flexibility and increase in stakes, is in keeping. If you want to avoid some nasty SOD-level effect though, you may need to accept something that you'll have to cure by dint of real effort! (just like you'd have to cure being petrified, you might avoid the Medusa's gaze effect by accepting a lethal poison touch that you can't get rid of! At least not easily...). That could be an affliction, so you have the chance to whittle away at it, but it won't go away without some work.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the advantage of using disease mechanics is you really can make it pretty detailed if you want. Where ordinary conditions are just binary, and in 4e normally very ephemeral, afflictions are (potentially) durable and can exist in various states, so you can add a little depth to the experience.

I think if something is pretty trivial, then it should be a condition. If its just going to be 'slowed because your toe is sore' for the rest of the fight, well, that isn't really much of a wound! I guess that could be the most mild sort of 'payment'.

yeah note however how the affliction I mentioned which I figured would only hop to the for front when aggravated perhaps when first roll of your turn is 1or2 and 19 or 20 ... the impact from a side or belly wound could be slowing you.. same with a foot injury and it would still be a momentary save ends or till next turn condition and completely compatible with the combat system

Flavor the details of the injury however you like in some ways, still pretty abstract

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Speaking of injuries and on going effect what i just described is a injury that the hero is forcing themselves to ignore most of the time not necessarily so for NPCs

It seems that martial powers would be even more suited to be demi-perminant impairment against non-heroic adversaries... ie Let the hamstring or hobbling attack cause slowing till the injury is removed for those higher level "martial controller" powers...

Speaking of injuries and on going effect what i just described is a injury that the hero is forcing themselves to ignore most of the time not necessarily so for NPCs

It seems that martial powers would be even more suited to be demi-perminant impairment against non-heroic adversaries... ie Let the hamstring or hobbling attack cause slowing till the injury is removed for those higher level "martial controller" powers...

Yeah, I would call that narrative consequences in general. I mean, if an adversary is 'non-heroic' then narratively there probably basically a 'mook' and if they reappear at all its just color. At most they're a 'sidekick' or something. 'heroic' adversaries could certainly become 'maimed' or something, but that would mostly be kind of a story thing I would think. You defeat the goblin king and he escapes, forever after that he's got a limp and moves a bit slower, but maybe he also gains some new fighting style or something to make up for it and becomes a soldier instead of a controller!

Remove ads