• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Any expeerience with Injury Cards in play?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Could call it Forced Conscription
conscript.png

As I said ... I removed the cannot heal limit and that may have broken the intended balance of the power

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Eh, maybe. Honestly, I don't see how the 'no heal' makes a difference, there's no way by RAW a minion can ever NEED healing. Its either unscathed, or dead.

I have mentioned that I personally am inclined to allow heroic effort to make a difference on that eh? Ofcourse a minion could be alive and still need some remove wound / lesser affliction ritual or surgery.

I have mentioned that I personally am inclined to allow heroic effort to make a difference on that eh? Ofcourse a minion could be alive and still need some remove wound / lesser affliction ritual or surgery.

Yeah, there could be 'wounded' minions, for sure. Its a bit atypical. I tend to make anything that has enough plot-significance to be present and named into a CC or a standard. Of course there can be special cases. You might consider 'promoting' such a minion though!

Cyvris

First Post
Well, these sure do look interesting. Been playing with some sort of Shock/Wound system for the Dark Sun game I'm gearing up to run (I was going with a sort of "health threshold" set up where if you drop below a certain amount of hp, possibly Constitution score, you can't heal those back until a Long Rest), but these might be more fun. Of course, I'm a sort of nasty DM and might have players make the save against a wound when they are bloodied.

darkbard

Legend
I'm starting up a Dark Sun game and also created a recent thread (the one to which Garthanos thought he was responding, I imagine) about the Injury Deck. These are the house rule implementation thereof I came up with:

 INJURY DECK: When a PC is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer during an encounter that PC accrues an injury. Make a saving throw after the encounter is complete. On a successful roll, the PC suffers a minor injury. On a failed roll, the PC suffers a major injury. Injuries function similarly to the disease track. All injuries begin at Stage 1. Stage 0 represents recovery from the injury, and Stage 3 represents character death.

Injury Progression: Once you’re injured, make an Endurance check after each extended rest to see if you improve, worsen, or maintain your current condition. An injury specifies two target Endurance DCs: a lower DC (easy DC for level) to maintain and a higher DC (medium DC for level) to improve.

Maintain: If the check result beats the lower DC but doesn’t beat the higher one, your condition remains the same.

Improve: If the check result beats the higher DC, your condition improves—move one step to the left on the injury track.

Worsen: If the check result doesn’t beat either DC, your condition worsens—move one step to the right on the injury track.

Cure: When you reach the left edge of the track, you are cured and stop making Endurance checks.

Final State: When you reach the right edge of the track, the final state of the injury takes effect, and the character dies.

Heal Skill: An ally can use a Heal check in place of your Endurance check to help you recover from a disease, as described in the Player’s Handbook.
In addition, the Profit from Setbacks variant is in use.

Profit from Setbacks: Some characters thrive on challenges. Some players like to overcome steep obstacles. If your campaign caters to that sort of activity, consider using this option to allow characters to turn their wounds into opportunities.

Once per encounter per injury, if an injured character meets the trigger described in the text below for his or her injury location, he or she can attempt to turn the pain of the injury into a momentary advantage.

The character makes a check as a free action using the indicated ability against an easy DC of the character’s level. On a success, the character benefits from the positive effect. On a failure, the character suffers the negative effect. Even if a character has multiple injuries, he or she can use this option only once per turn.

I'm starting up a Dark Sun game and also created a recent thread (the one to which Garthanos thought he was responding, I imagine) about the Injury Deck. These are the house rule implementation thereof I came up with:

 INJURY DECK: When a PC is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer during an encounter that PC accrues an injury. Make a saving throw after the encounter is complete. On a successful roll, the PC suffers a minor injury. On a failed roll, the PC suffers a major injury. Injuries function similarly to the disease track. All injuries begin at Stage 1. Stage 0 represents recovery from the injury, and Stage 3 represents character death.

Injury Progression: Once you’re injured, make an Endurance check after each extended rest to see if you improve, worsen, or maintain your current condition. An injury specifies two target Endurance DCs: a lower DC (easy DC for level) to maintain and a higher DC (medium DC for level) to improve.

Maintain: If the check result beats the lower DC but doesn’t beat the higher one, your condition remains the same.

Improve: If the check result beats the higher DC, your condition improves—move one step to the left on the injury track.

Worsen: If the check result doesn’t beat either DC, your condition worsens—move one step to the right on the injury track.

Cure: When you reach the left edge of the track, you are cured and stop making Endurance checks.

Final State: When you reach the right edge of the track, the final state of the injury takes effect, and the character dies.

Heal Skill: An ally can use a Heal check in place of your Endurance check to help you recover from a disease, as described in the Player’s Handbook.
In addition, the Profit from Setbacks variant is in use.

Profit from Setbacks: Some characters thrive on challenges. Some players like to overcome steep obstacles. If your campaign caters to that sort of activity, consider using this option to allow characters to turn their wounds into opportunities.

Once per encounter per injury, if an injured character meets the trigger described in the text below for his or her injury location, he or she can attempt to turn the pain of the injury into a momentary advantage.

The character makes a check as a free action using the indicated ability against an easy DC of the character’s level. On a success, the character benefits from the positive effect. On a failure, the character suffers the negative effect. Even if a character has multiple injuries, he or she can use this option only once per turn.

So, you can die from minor injuries? I assume the DCs are pretty favorable on those, so its more of an academic consideration than a major possibility. Still, this system, IME will pile on a lot of injuries! I mean I often down a single character more than once in a fight (though defenders take a lot of this, and some other characters have remained infamously unscathed. Once the warlock in our first group went 4 levels without actually being hit once!).

The advantage thing seems cool, though perhaps I'd choose to make it a bit looser. Like basically you take an Endurance check and you can ignore your wound for that round, or you can alternately get a minor advantage. For simplicity I think I'd just play that as "you get advantage on this attack" and let the player describe what they did. In HoML you could consider a wound to be a 'trait' and then key off it using the Inspiration subsystem. Actually that would be a cool way to model a 'lingering effect' (one that doesn't normally have any impact in play, but that you can use either positively by spending Inspiration, or negatively by accepting Inspiration in return for a minor disadvantage. Something like a 'trick knee' would work quite well that way).

darkbard

Legend
So, you can die from minor injuries?

Well, Athas is a harsh world. ;) That said, maybe I should rethink this. Perhaps once reaching stage 3 a minor injury switches to a major injury at stage 1 and then proceeds from there? Whaddya think?

It's true this will variation will produce many injuries, but that's kind of the point. I haven't used this yet (game still has not gotten off the ground yet), so I'm open to continued feedback.

Remove ads