Lankhmar Box Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics!

Goodman Games have launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Lankhmar Boxed Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics. The set, due for release in August 2018 if successfully funded, will explore the fantastic swords & sorcery world of Nehwon created by Fritz Leiber through his series of classic novels.

Goodman Games have launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund a Lankhmar Boxed Set for Dungeon Crawl Classics. The set, due for release in August 2018 if successfully funded, will explore the fantastic swords & sorcery world of Nehwon created by Fritz Leiber through his series of classic novels.

The Kickstarter, which is running until 26th April, is looking for an initial $20,000 to fund a box set containing at least four books (more may be added through stretch goals), a map and tokens for a new DCC rules mechanic called Fleeting Luck. The initial books will be around 170 pages each and are The Compendium of Secret Knowledge, The Judge’s Guide to Nehwon, Lankhmar: City of the Black Toga and No Small Crimes in Lankhmar, the latter being a 1st level adventure.

DCC RPG is a perfect fit for Leiber’s world and the stories that chronicle it, perhaps more so than any other role-playing game to date. DCC RPG was specifically designed to go back to the classic sword & sorcery stories of Appendix N, the stories that inspired the original fantasy role-playing game, and provide judges and players with the means to replicate the feel of those tales for their own enjoyment. One could say that Leiber and Lankhmar are in the very DNA of DCC RPG, a crucial part of making the game what it is.

Now, thanks to a partnership with the estate of Fritz Leiber, DCC Lankhmar presents the fans of DCC RPG with new role-playing material that comes directly from the tales of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. Herein are new lands to explore, new monsters to battle, unique spells to uncover, and a bevy of optional rules to make your DCC RPG game better reflect the adventures that fill Fritz Leiber’s fiction.

All of us at Goodman Games are delighted by the opportunity to play with Leiber’s most famous creation. His work casts a long shadow over the role-playing game hobby, influencing and informing some of the universal components of the pastime. Every shadowy thieves’ guild, every teeming city filled with fog and danger, every scroll-reading rogue and slyly intelligent wererat skulking through the underworld owes a debt of gratitude to Fritz Leiber. It is safe to say that almost all fantasy cities in RPGs are muddied reflections of Lankhmar, whether or not we recognize it on a conscious level. Everyone involved in the DCC Lankhmar line is thrilled to be able to play in Lankhmar and to figuratively walk its foggy streets after dark. After playing in the shade of the grand city for so long, it is an honor to lay our hands on the very object that has thrown that long and influential shadow.

While the DCC Lankhmar set contains all the basics a judge requires to get his Nehwon-based game running, it is far from a complete compilation of all things Lankhmar! Leiber penned more than forty Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories, novellas, and novels in his lifetime, incrementally adding to the world of Nehwon. Consider this set a mere aperitif, a sip of a fine vintage to wet your lips before consuming more. Each subsequent release in the DCC Lankhmar line will further explore Nehwon, allowing you to build your campaign piece-by-piece, much as Leiber did his stories. We hope you’ll continue this journey of exploration with us and to further range across the world of Nehwon and delve into the twisting streets of the City of the Black Toga through the lens of DCC Lankhmar!

ddaley

Explorer
The update was sent to backers and said that they have 1 of the 2 books at GaryCon, and if you are there stop by to pick up your copy. There was no mention of the books being on sale... but, I wouldn't blame them for selling some to GaryCon attendees while they are there. It isn't like they are selling them to the public in general before backers get their copies.

I am not sure how they will handle shipping for people who ordered both books that were offered through the KS. I ordered both books, but only 1 of 2 are ready. I would imagine that I would have to wait until both are ready before they ship to me.

Was it actually for sale? My understanding was that they were bringing a limited # of copies along for kickstarter backers to pickup if they attended Garycon.

I'm a fan of Goodman Games & DCC and a huge fan of the Lankhmar/Newhon series of Fritz Leiber. So of course I'm in for this kickstarter. I hope it busts through all the listed stretch goals before all is said and done.

EnochSeven

Explorer
I love Goodman Games and am thrilled with this! DCC is my favorite RPG - feels so old school but plays so modern and quirky. Love it!

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Ships anywhere in the world
Estimated delivery: Jun 2017

Is it June already?

Nope, sure not June. Apparently they make good use of their time when they feel like it. The main book is far enough along that they can hand out some print copies. They had time to go ahead and start another KS project and respond to some questions there today. It's just funny that with all they've been able to accomplish so far, no one has had the time to answer the dozen or so comments asking what's up with the backers' pdfs.

I don't have an axe to grind against GG. I hope the Lankhmar stuff is awesome and everyone gets exactly what they want. I just think that asking where the pdfs are when there are hardcopies to pick up is a fair question, and they don't seem interested in answering so far. Email problems? Hyperlinking isn't going well? Dog ate the keyboard? There's probably a good reason for the delay, but there isn't a good reason for not telling us.

ddaley

Explorer
Well they are in GaryCon at the moment. They'll probably update the HTWAMTDS backers this coming week. Also keep in mind that most of the people involved in the writing for HTWAMTDS will not be the same people involved in Lankhmar. So, there is little reason that they cannot make progress on both projects.

Nope, sure not June. Apparently they make good use of their time when they feel like it. The main book is far enough along that they can hand out some print copies. They had time to go ahead and start another KS project and respond to some questions there today. It's just funny that with all they've been able to accomplish so far, no one has had the time to answer the dozen or so comments asking what's up with the backers' pdfs.

I don't have an axe to grind against GG. I hope the Lankhmar stuff is awesome and everyone gets exactly what they want. I just think that asking where the pdfs are when there are hardcopies to pick up is a fair question, and they don't seem interested in answering so far. Email problems? Hyperlinking isn't going well? Dog ate the keyboard? There's probably a good reason for the delay, but there isn't a good reason for not telling us.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Just noticed the August 2018 timeframe...that's a long way off, heck I might forget I backed it that far into the future :)

i bought the savage worlds Lankhmar stuff just to read since our group doesn't play savage world's but we do play DCC so I'll probably pick this up as well :)

edit - just picked up their previous Lankhmar adventures for DCC from Noble Knights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brujoloco

First Post
Ahhh amazing, as usual, props to them for producing such an awesome kickstarter. They really need now to add a lankhmar Judge Screen to the set to make it more awesome. The Standard Judge Screen for DCC is a bit flimsy, wish they popped out a hardened one

The DCC RPG is a hoot, absolutely. I started re-reading Swords Against Death, as it had been ages. What struck me is just how much of Fafhrd’s and Grey Mouser’s tales’ DNA is in D&D, especially the early days of the game. Much of their adventures involve questing for loot guarded by fiendish traps and curses to ensnare the greedy, unwise, and unskilled.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I own the PDF for DCC, but I've never played it. I would like to give it a spin. I know that it used "weird " dices like the d7 and d24. How many of each type would you suggest for playing the game?

darjr

I crit!
Just a couple per table should be plenty. In fact I hardly used em at low levels. The d3 for fighters came up most.

Remove ads

Remove ads