D&D 5E [OOC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I love these mechanics for languages! I've always felt that D&D and other fantasy games ignore the complexity of languages found in the pre-industrial world. A traveller back in in the middle ages could walk from Lisbon to Paris, and every single town on the way would be able to speak with the adjacent towns, but as you went along the route, the language ould shift.
Kudos for this!
Cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Ashwell is in the rural plains of a nation originally populated by halflings and was conquered by Kian most recently (200 years ago). As such the language most commonly used is Kianni.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Ashwell is in the rural plains of a nation originally populated by halflings and was conquered by Kian most recently (200 years ago). As such the language most commonly used is Kianni.

Ok, thanks! and what would be some languages that a scolar would learn? My character gets 2 bonus ones from knowledge cleric, and 2 bonus ones from his sage background. I'd go for one or two ancient languages that are setting relevant.
Thanks again and cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Standard point buy for 5e.

For traits, as I think I said in the document I'm actually looking for players to give me a bit of guidance on what sort of things they would usually want from feats or magic items for their characters. That will give me some direction. In addition, skills, languages, proficiency, expertise, possibly even specific character mechanics.

For scholarly languages, I think Kûnüric is probably a good one, but it's mostly lost. It is known to some specific scholars though... for certain specific reasons.

Atrithi and Sakarpic might be important, as they are languages from the oldest regions ruled by men that are still standing.

High Sheyic is an incredibly important religious language to some cultures, and the language of the Ceneian Empire. That empire was sacked some 300 years ago, but it's still an important language.

These are all languages of specific nations that could come up:

Conriyan: Language of Conriya.
Nroni: Language of Nron.
Cironjic: Language of Cironj.
Cengemic: Language of Cengemis.
Sansori: Language of Sansor.
Ainoni: Language of High Ainon.

Zeümi and Scylvendi are significant in that those two cultures (one a powerful nation, one a pastoral people known for their barbarians) have their own specific language. That opens up a lot more options for trade or such.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases