D&D 5E [5E] YP: Sunless Citadel

What Adventure should I run for my next PbP Campaign?

• Lost Mine of Phandelver

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Sunless Citadel

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other WotC Adventure Path

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other Adventure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

TallIan

Explorer
Rough character sheet

Edgar
Male Human Paladin 1 LG

Armor Class 16 (Chain Mail)
Hit Points 12
Speed 30 ft.

Str 16 (+3)
Dex 10 (0)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 10 (0)
*Wis 10 (0)
*Cha 14 (+2)

passive Perception 14
Languages: Common,
Skills: *Athletics 5, Acrobatics 0, Sleight of Hand 0, Stealth 0, Arcana 0, History 0, Investigation 0, Nature 0, *Religion 2, Animal Handling 0, Insight 0, Medicine 0, *Perception 2, Survival 0, Deception 0, Intimidation 0, Performance 0, *Persuasion 4

Soldier

Feats
Polearm Master: Bonus attack with polearm shaft, AOO when creature enters weapon reach

Actions
Halberd +5 10ft 1d10+3S
Halberd (BA) +5 5ft 1d4+3B
Short Sword +5 5ft 1d6+3P
Javelin 30/120 +5 1d6+3P

Detect Celestial, fiend or undead or consecrated/desecrated ground within 60ft (1+2 per day)
Lay on hands (5HP Heal a creature you touch or for 5HP cure poison or desease

Equipment
Chain Mail
Halberd
Shortsword
Javelin 5
explorers pack
Holy Symbol
Rank insignia
Trophy
Bone Dice
Common Clothes
Belt pouch

10GP

[sblock=Background]
Edgar was born to a household warrior of a frontier lord. His father served his lord with distinction and as a reward Edgar was squired to the lord's son to train as something more than a common soldier. It was a high honour, as Edgar would have the opportunity to reach above his station and maybe gain a knighthood.

Edgar's master decided to go out on his own to make his fortune and Edgar accompanied him, but Edgar's charmed life ended there. Edgar's master led a small group into battle against some goblins, leaving Edgar to guard the horses. Edgar watched as his master was cut down by the evil creatures and his hopes of social advancement flow away with his masters blood.

Edgar's warband narrowly won the battle, but Edgar was blind to the victory. Standing over his master's body Edgar returned to reality when the warband's priest touched him. Looking around Edgar saw the butchery of the battle and he vowed then before the priest that he would hunt out evil everywhere and snuff it out.
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
2vt376q.jpg

Etanya Nerinski, Human Feypact Warlock

purplerook

First Post
Ara's Background

Here is the Background for Ara.

Ara Galanodel (Moon Whisperer) Elven Wizard

Background
Height 5’3” ;Weight 108 lbs;
Moon Elf (Pale White Skin, short black hair, blue eyes flecked with gold)

In town, Ara wears a distinctive Tunic, with various small scenes painted on the tunic. Under the tunic, Ara wears a nice clean white shirt (thank you Prestidigitation) with brown trousers and leather boots. Ara’s belt contains a dagger and wand. His pack is marked with the sigil of his family.

Widely known

Ara is a wandering Artist/Illusionist. He wanders from town to town painting and practicing his illusions. Pushed about his background, Ara will admit that he studied magic, but is ‘taking a break’ from school to see the world.

Ara is working on a mural stretching a large part of the tavern wall. Ara will add figures, remove figures and even rework entire sections of the wall. This gives Ara the opportunity to loiter in different parts of the tavern. The Innkeeper reserves a table for Ara and his pack. Ara will frequently take the time to whip out a quick sketch (think caricature) for people who stop by, usually gossiping with whoever he is sketching.

Occasionally, the Innkeeper and Ara will have a good natured competition to season/flavor culinary dishes - the Innkeeper with spices and Ara with magic. They will use people who are having dinner in the Tavern to judge the results. Ara’s food and flavors are close, but frequently come in second to the Innkeepers. Ara will normally paint, repaint, or touch-up the Innkeeper’s sign using Mage Hand to do the painting.

Ara is somewhat unusual in that he will frequently practice magic in public. Creating Illusory objects (a chair, a table) in the Tavern. Many evenings right before turning in, Ara will create moving illusions to thrill his audience - e.g., fearsome beasts, a warrior swinging a sword, Earth Element bursting from the floor. Ara will add in sound to the illusion by stacking Silent Image (moving sight) and Minor Illusion (sound).

On the trail

Once Ara leaves town, his dress and demeanour change significantly. The painted tunic is packed away and replaced with a mottled (camouflaged) over tunic. He pulls out a Shemagh (also mottled) that is wrapped around his head. He pulls a belt from out of his pack that has a TBD. Finally, he summons TBD. Gone is the friendly and socially naive illusionist/painter from the village. Replaced with someone who is comfortable with sneaking around if not totally comfortable in the woods.

Personal Details

This requires some connections and research into Elven kingdom(s) or for Ara to open-up about his background. Note the child name, Ara is under 100 years old - think Elven teenager, sowing some wild oats before he settles down

Ara was raised by an Aunt, Naivara Galanodel (Moon Whisperer) as both his mother and father are gone for long periods of time. Naivara is an instructor at an Elven Academy. As Ara was raised at an Elven Academy, he was listening in and practicing, before he was formally admitted. Ara was a bit of a ‘problem’ child. He excelled in magic, but showed little interest in traditional Elven song. His natural athleticism and high energy led to a propensity to sneak into places and or play pranks on others. Naivara enrolled Ara in a number of fighting classes in an attempt to ‘focus’ some of his natural energy. As Ara’s interest in illusions grew, he became fascinated with art and specifically painting to improve his illusions.

Ara attended the Wizards academy for several years. However, there was a bit of a scandal about graffiti being placed in difficult to reach places on the campus. This came to a head and Ara has been exiled from the Elven Lands. Apparently some of the graffiti covered less than flattering commentary on the Wizard Academy’s President and some nobles of Elven society.

Confidential

Ara is studying to be a member of the Leopard (Stealth/Illusion) Bladesingers. Ara is a minor member of Elven Intelligence. He sends periodic reports back about things that he sees in human lands. He cannot call on resources from Elven Intelligence, but he may be tasked by them to spy on various locations (possible story hook).

Personality Trait: I will settle for nothing less than perfection.
Ideal: Creativity, The world is in need of new ideas and bold action
Bond: Elven Intelligence and the Leopard Bladesinger school.
Flaw: I will take risks to prove myself to my Family and Bladesinger school.

Meeting the Other Characters

Ara will likely meet one or more of the other characters in a Tavern. He is fairly well known (see above) and the characters might seek him out looking for a wizard - albeit a junior wizard. Alternatively or Additionally, Ara might overhear a conversation between other characters in a tavern where he is painting a mural.

purplerook

First Post
I re-read my question about Somatic and Material components from last night and it sounds too much like a complaint. To clarify,

Generally, I would like to understand how these mechanics are going to work, as they sound pretty complicated (e.g., need a free hand for somatic gesture, and a component pouch or arcane focus for material). Can you perform the somatic gesture with the same hand holding an arcane focus? Can you free a hand to cast in melee combat - e.g., round 1 - sheathe sword, grasp component and cast spell, round 2 - draw sword and attack. Can your arcane focus be worn on your body (e.g., like a cleric or paladin's holy symbol)? To start stretching, can you build you Arcane focus into a weapon.

Specifically, I would like Ara to be able to use a bow as opposed to Firebolt and still be able to cast shield (a reaction that requires V,S). Also, I think it would be neat to have Ara fight with a weapon and wand. However, needing a free hand for the somatic component and or being able to switch between weapon and arcane focus could push him towards a component pouch. Right now, I have stayed away from thinking about War Caster and or Two Weapon fighting (with a multi-class into fighter) as I want to keep the character focused on casting magic and not wading into combat.

TallIan

Explorer
Most of your questions are up to the GM really, but I'll try to answer some

Can you perform the somatic gesture with the same hand holding an arcane focus?
Yes, you can assume the somatic component incorporates using or moving the components or focus.

Can you free a hand to cast in melee combat - e.g., round 1 - sheathe sword, grasp component and cast spell, round 2 - draw sword and attack..
If you are holding a weapon, it's possible to just let go with one hand, freeing up one hand to cast with. Your suggestion is also possible, since you get a free item interaction each round, but would only be necessary if you are carrying a shield that isn't also your focus.

Can your arcane focus be worn on your body (e.g., like a cleric or paladin's holy symbol)?
Strictly up to the GM, but usually yes, otherwise its an unfair advantage to a cleric.

To start stretching, can you build you Arcane focus into a weapon. Specifically, I would like Ara to be able to use a bow as opposed to Firebolt and still be able to cast shield (a reaction that requires V,S). Also, I think it would be neat to have Ara fight with a weapon and wand. However, needing a free hand for the somatic component and or being able to switch between weapon and arcane focus could push him towards a component pouch. Right now, I have stayed away from thinking about War Caster and or Two Weapon fighting (with a multi-class into fighter) as I want to keep the character focused on casting magic and not wading into combat.
You could potentially have your bow, or any weapon, as a focus (again with GM permission), just describe it as having a jewel or similar and increasing its value (My wizards usually have a runed or carved quarterstaff as a focus). A ranged weapon focus could limit your melee ability since there is a disadvantage to both casting and shooting in melee. But something like shield doesn't need a material component so there is no need for a focus.

Finally as to your choice of scholar's vs explorer's pack (from your previous post), since we're supposed to know each other, go with what makes sense, I'm sure someone will help out if the need for rations or rope comes up.

I hope that helped a bit

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Kuhl Obleequay, Monk 1

Young-Maasai-herder-sees-a-future-in-pastoralism-gritty.org_.jpg

HP 9, AC 16, Move 30.

[sblock=Monk 1]Kuhl
LG Human Monk
Level 1

Abilities:
STR 10 (+0, save +2) [2]
DEX 16 (+2, save +4) [9+human]
CON 13 (+1) [5]
INT 10 (+0) [2]
WIS 16 (+3) [7+feat+human]
CHA 10 (+0) [2]

Size M
Speed 30
AC 16
Init +2
Hit Points 9

Proficiency bonus: +2
Proficiencies: simple weapons, short sword
Saves: STR, DEX
Skills: *, Acrobatics, Insight, Animal Handling, Survival
Tools: herbalism kit, flute, *
Languages: Common, Goblin

Attacks:
Quarterstaff: 1d20+5 to hit, 1d6+3 (one hand) 1d8+3 (two hands)
Unarmed Strike: 1d20+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning

Background (trait): Goatherd (wanderer)

Race abilities:
* Variant Human: extra skill, feat, +1 dex/wis (incl. above)

Class abilities:
* Unarmored Defense (AC=10+DEX+WIS)
* Martial Arts
- unarmed strikes and monk weapons use DEX or STR
- damage for unarmed strikes d4
- when Attack w/ unarmed strike or monk weapon, use bonus action for unarmed strike.

Feats
* EITHER Observant OR Resiliant **

Skills
+5 (dex) Acrobatics
+5 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+5 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+3 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+3 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+3 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+3 (dex) Stealth
+5 (wis) Survival

Characteristics:
Personality: I am cheery and confident about the blessings of a good life.
Ideal: *.
Bond: *.
Flaw: I am very naïve, and have spent little time in cities.

Equipment:

Weight: (150 lbs carrying capacity)

* quarterstaff
* explorer’s pack
* 10 darts
* scroll-case stuffed with notes
* winter blanket
* herbalism kit
* common clothes
* pouch w/ 5gp

Notes:
*Goatherd (custom background):
- skills as folk hero
- equipment as hermit
- tools: herbalism kit, musical instrument
- feature: wanderer, as outlander[/sblock][sblock=Backstory]

still to come
. [/sblock]

Still to do: choose Feat, choose Human skill; choose artisan (Monk; Ferrier’s tools?); write background

Questions:
Background: as per PHB 126, I have made a custom background. Okay? Goatherd
- skills as folk hero
- equipment as hermit
- tools: herbalism kit, musical instrument
- feature: wanderer, as outlander

Feat: Is Passive Perception/Investigation a thing you will be using? (i.e. you looking at passive scores to determine whether we see things, regardless of whether we say “I’m looking at x”). If it is, I’ll go with Observant. If it is not, Resiliant (Wis). (This may also affect the choice of the final human skill.)

Martial Arts: I’m expecting that the quarterstaff can be used 2-handed for an attack action, but the bonus action attacks through Martial arts can still take place (i.e. either a kick, or a punch while one hand holds the staff after the attack action).
[MENTION=6801311]KahlessNestor[/MENTION] : for my backstory; do you object if I present Etanya as someone who is occasionally giving flute lessons to Kuhl?

Remove ads