D&D 5E Whip of Entangling

Zarithar

Adventurer
Would this item be appropriate for a 5th level character?

Whip of Entanglement: Magical whip, +1 attack and damage, which can, upon hitting (player's choice), restrain a humanoid (or humanoid shaped) creature (at the DM's discretion) as per the Entanglement spell. This can be done 3 times before a long rest is required to recharge the item.

Thanks in advance!

Lancelot

Adventurer
I think it sounds pretty great; it seems well-balanced for a 5th level character. A few suggestions...

1) I'd spell out the effect of the entangle rather than referring to the spell. For example, the spell locks people in place with magical plants. By contrast, the whip is probably the object doing the restraining - and it probably can't be used against someone else, while locking a target in place.

2) Any reason to limit it to humanoids? I can't see why a beast (wolf, for example) or undead (ghoul, for example) wouldn't also be affected. Also, it should probably be limited to creatures of medium-size or smaller.

3) Finally, I'd explicitly state a DC for the effect.

If I was wording it, I'd go for something like the following:

Whip of Entanglement: Magical whip, +1 attack and damage. This item has 3 charges; any expended charges are regained at dawn. Upon hitting a Medium-sized or smaller creature, the wielder may choose to expend a charge. If they do so, the target of the attack must make a DC 13 Strength saving throw or be restrained. While a target is restrained, the whip may not be used to attack a different target. The wielder may release the restrained target as a free action, or the target may free themselves with a DC 13 Strength check as an action. If the whip or its wielder moves more than 10 feet from the restrained target, the effect immediately ends.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Thanks for the tips. Lancelot I agree with #2 and kind of leave it up to DM discretion. Maybe I should have said medium or smaller creatures instead?

Remove ads