Will the real martial artist please stand up...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I might give martial techniques their own properties... like perhaps

Flying (analogous but not identical to reach weapon) allows user to shift towards a target before and away from the target after the attack.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think this qualifies as a superior technique (... and its more cinematic than realistic too), The flying kick - this "mobile" property is intended to emulate the reach weapon

flyingkick.png

Tony Vargas

Legend
Question what are the basic functional weapons to support the majority of Warlord / Fighter / Ranger / Rogue builds?
... not sure I understand the question. 1-handed weapons for S&B fighters & warlords (and TWF rangers), two-handed high-damage weapons for big-damage secondary-striker fighters, bows for the archer-ranger, dagger (light blades) for the rogue... ?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
... not sure I understand the question. 1-handed weapons for S&B fighters & warlords (and TWF rangers), two-handed high-damage weapons for big-damage secondary-striker fighters, bows for the archer-ranger, dagger (light blades) for the rogue... ?

Well I am designing martial techniques which are analogs to weaponry ... knife hand strike... lunging punch and karate chop, fly spin kick, etc etch.. I want to make sure that the weapons most used by the classes have a nod of some sort and maybe afew that do not. Ie a superior Glaive.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well I am designing martial techniques which are analogs to weaponry ... knife hand strike... lunging punch and karate chop, fly spin kick, etc etch..
Right, I remember now. A solid idea.

In terms of properties, a few might work: Brutal, High-crit, defensive, even off-hand/versatile/two-handed (you can one-two combo jabs, you can't combo a flying spin kick)...

I want to make sure that the weapons most used by the classes have a nod of some sort and maybe afew that do not. Ie a superior Glaive.
Weapons are mostly just a matter of fluff and opening up feat trees and power specials. You use a spear, you can use the Spear Push feat and some fighter powers gain an extra rider. You use a dagger, you can SA. Etc...

Aside from afore-mentioned weapon properties, there's +2 vs +3 proficiency, damage die size, and reach. Not a whole lot more, really, right?

So concentrate on the feat & power riders that the maneuvers would unlock? Either 'counts as weapon group' or their own...

Question what are the basic functional weapons to support the majority of Warlord / Fighter / Ranger / Rogue builds?

Truthfully you don't need very many weapons in the game. Most of the distinctions are fairly arbitrary. You need basically a dagger, an arming sword, a bastard sword, and a full two-hander. Then you need what? A club/mace, an axe, a hammer, a flail, and two-handed variations thereof. Then you'll want a spear, and a pike for spears. A poleaxe, a glaive, and maybe a fork. One and two-handed staves round things out. That actually covers all the basic forms of weapons.

There are some minor variations, like slight variations on chain-type weapons, a few variations of swords and daggers (back swords and sabres, punching daggers, etc.) but those ESSENTIALLY function in nearly identical ways with the more conventional variations (which probably explains why they've never been very prevalent).

Of course you also have your thrown weapons, this produces a throwing axe, a throwing knife/dagger, a throwing hammer, adds throwing to spears (javelin is just a spear that you can throw, no reason to make it a separate weapon, you can just describe some spears as 'javelins' if you like). There are also various 'darts', which would include things like shuriken.

Finally you have the true missile weapons. In terms of general weapon characteristics you only need 2 crossbows, plus maybe a 'hand crossbow' (these did exist, mostly used by heavy mounted troops in the late medieval period), a light and a heavy bow, a sling, a blowgun, a spear thrower, and then a couple oddballs like the lariat, boomerang, and bolos, which are all kind of unusual.

Beyond that there's not much, aside from maybe nonlethal mancatchers and nets.

EVERYTHING else can be categorized as one or another of these, and I'd argue that any weapon proficiency more specific than these simply makes no sense.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You know how a Khopesh counts as a heavy blade and an axe is there a value of something counting as a pick or a light blade?
For instance a hooking finger jab. (I guess that would be whether their are pick based powers)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases