Will the real martial artist please stand up...

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think I will collapse those down to Ki ( Str / Con) and Zen (Wis / Cha),
they then fit the model for light armor class but based on martial techniques and have flavorful names AND are grouped like the non armor class defenses ;)

Although I rather like the expanded set for their more directly descriptive names -> (Interfering, Instinctive, Deceptive, Perceptive, and Reflexive)
What about the Hard|Soft & Internal|External distinctions you sometimes see in martial arts?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
What about the Hard|Soft & Internal|External distinctions you sometimes see in martial arts?

yin/yang is the difference between ... the offensive techniques and the defensive techniqes a martial art is a combination of those (ie hard and soft are generally in all martial arts). Although these all interact with powers too.

Reflex has internal (Int) and External(Dex), Zen is (Wis and Cha - might be dominantly Internal) and Chi with (Str and Con) might have both internal and external manifestations?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Some of the higher order (magical) martial techniques should include things like what were associated wiith the special substance armor types.

Last edited:

You can label things hard/soft or internal/external but any close examination of what those labels are attempting to mean in the real world leads immediately to basically "nobody agrees on a definition and anything can be labeled whatever fits your theory."

Obviously you can do better than that in a game, since you can pretty much decree what is what. So, maybe 'internal' is a technique that benefits you, and external is one that disadvantages an opponent. Hard deals in damage modifications, soft deals in defenses. Of course it will be tricky even there to define the difference between a 'hard internal' technique and a 'soft internal' technique in most cases.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
You can label things hard/soft or internal/external but any close examination of what those labels are attempting to mean in the real world leads immediately to basically "nobody agrees on a definition and anything can be labeled whatever fits your theory."
Definitely 'real' world kind of makes hard and soft (yin/yang) at minimum pretty bad because a martial art which had solely one or the other wouldn't be functional aka "Philosophically Imbalanced". (hence my designating them as the difference between weapon attack and armor defense techniques and a Martial Art would generally include both.

However - Note a weapon technique have the Defensive property - (which may be the property I replace things like light thrown with (for the knife hand technique) or some weapons which are currently heavy thrown might become Versatile instead.... ie the weapons arent necessarily going to be identical analogs. A versatile technique represents techniques which work well in a kick or punch fashion ie 1 or two handed), a snap kick is analogous to a one handed kick though so even a versatil or one handed art could be visualized as all kicks. The idea is to be descriptive rather than prescriptive ... The Shotokan Karate style uses very few kicks prefering to emphasize lunge punches and similar though I personally loved snap kicks. A TKD like art would emphasized kicks (ie 2 handed or mayhaps versatile)

Obviously you can do better than that in a game, since you can pretty much decree what is what.

True though my martial arts nerd may kind of enjoy that bit of quasi realism in my model too. But since it doesn't follow the myth perfectly It might be biting my own hand.

So, maybe 'internal' is a technique that benefits you, and external is one that disadvantages an opponent. Hard deals in damage modifications, soft deals in defenses. Of course it will be tricky even there to define the difference between a 'hard internal' technique and a 'soft internal' technique in most cases.

A Advanced Defensive Technique emulating Crysteel Armor -- grants bonuses to Will for instance.

I can do some arbitrary labelling in the descriptions too so calling things Internal and External for instnce but unless they interact as a proficiency or with feats or something it doesnt really matter too much ;) this is about flavor anyway I think

Speaking of Yin and Yang - Yin is said to hold in its core Yang and vice versi... some of these techniques will demonstrate that.

An Armoring Technique using Strength is kind of a Soft Technique with a Hard core...as one is probably interfering with attacks as part of ones basic methodology. But the explicit Blocking Techniques or Striking Techniques (with defensive property) are even more so ... sure they are defensive but in an aggressive fashion or aggressive with a defensive element.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I was thinking hard/soft, yin/yang, or whatever could be used as keywords where things like Versatile or two-handed would make no sense...

I think I might be stuck with the Versatile or Two-handed designation in the CB interface...

Because that interacts with them being equipped

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Given that I achieve 6 variant style of Martial Defense by enabling focused and basic forms of Zen / Chi and Reflexive techniques, which is identical to the normal base number of armor types; Is there any reason to have what I had been calling deep stance techniques which function more like the heavy armor?

Given that I achieve 6 variant style of Martial Defense by enabling focused and basic forms of Zen / Chi and Reflexive techniques, which is identical to the normal base number of armor types; Is there any reason to have what I had been calling deep stance techniques which function more like the heavy armor?

Its a good question. I don't think there is any special need, unless you have a thematic reason for it (which is how I would say heavy armor itself as opposed to light armor is justified).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Its a good question. I don't think there is any special need, unless you have a thematic reason for it (which is how I would say heavy armor itself as opposed to light armor is justified).

I had two reasons... one it assured classic fighter builds got exactly their thing wrt armor attribute independent high end armor ... and the idea of a deep stance impeeding mobiliy but improving balance and responsiveness to incoming things. I am being pickier about Chi armor types because of dropping the deepstance (heavy) armor.

Armor based on Strength for a fighter is a compromise it seems to be a definite analog for high end armor that is unlikely to vary a lot based on attribute.

Last edited:

Remove ads