Change the Situation (Skill Challenges)!

Well I am wondering about possible clockwork devices for the Clockwork Invention practice... basically the idea is to create them fragile tricky to use devices which might have some game role similarity to alchemy.

(Also wondering if Alchemy could use tlc)
Clockwork certainly is an interesting form of practice, though it feels magical enough to be considered ritualistic as well (basically flavor, but I guess we've already established that many rituals and practices are interchangeable). This interchangeability is leading me to pretty much abolish the mechanical differentiation between the two in HoML, it just seems unneeded...

Alchemy in 4e is indeed largely 2nd rate, or worse. There are a few items that are stupid good, a few that are about right, and the vast majority are vastly underpowered.

In HoML I have hit upon a strategy, though it would require some changes to work with 4e (changes to 4e, not the strategy, but minor changes). Instead of having a distinct thing called Alchemy, I noted that there are scrolls, potions, and certain other consumables. One way to make this work is to simply create a rule that allows you to prepare the effects of any ritual (or practice, though some of them don't seem too appropriate and others kind of inherently do this already). So a 'scroll' is merely a prepared ritual, as is a 'potion', etc. Which forms are appropriate is kind of up to the GM and players. Thus Alchemy per-se goes away, as it simply becomes a series of prepared ritual effects that utilize ingredients and get embodied in appropriate forms. This means that 'enchant item' 'brew potion', and other similar things, basically go away. They can be replaced by specific ritual formulas which produce each effect (this also automatically obviates the need for the awkward common/uncommon/rare stuff, as it only existed to thwart making of too many of certain items, you can now simply not give out enough ingredients, or even the formula to, these troublesome things). So if you have an issue with Flaming Weapons, then just don't give out the "Flaming Weapon" ritual.

This only leaves the question of what differentiates permanent from consumable items. I think one possibility is if you make a permanent item, you have to tie up a surge in it. This would admittedly make permanent items rather rare, but still possibly worth crafting now and then (and you can always disenchant them to recover the surge). This takes advantage of the precedent set by teleportation circles.

I have had infiltration situation where nobody worked together, but where activity in one area of the complex never the less interacted with others.... for instance distracted denisens from other parts sometimes at the right or wrong moment... others where activity in one area opened flood gates in another and so on. Some of the interactions between one heros tactics and another be quite indirect.

Its a good point. I've not done this much, but it has some real potential to let a party both split up and still adventure 'together'.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Garthanos said:
I have had infiltration situation where nobody worked together, but where activity in one area of the complex never the less interacted with others.... for instance distracted denisens from other parts sometimes at the right or wrong moment... others where activity in one area opened flood gates in another and so on. Some of the interactions between one heros tactics and another be quite indirect.

Its a good point. I've not done this much, but it has some real potential to let a party both split up and still adventure 'together'.

My groups are small so it doesn't happen often with them either.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Clockwork certainly is an interesting form of practice, though it feels magical enough to be considered ritualistic as well (basically flavor, but I guess we've already established that many rituals and practices are interchangeable). This interchangeability is leading me to pretty much abolish the mechanical differentiation between the two in HoML, it just seems unneeded...

Wind up gadgets with springs and gears and levers.... is the starting point in flavor i suppose.

A robot you can send to distract like a Trojan horse? It might not do anything much but make the enemy think they are under attack or something.

Somewhere in there you get Leonardo Davinci wings you can pump with athletics and hand pedals ;)

and at the high end???? not sur

I want this as a practice ... I will definitely be featuring DaVinci art in the pdf if i do.

Wind up gadgets with springs and gears and levers.... is the starting point in flavor i suppose.

A robot you can send to distract like a Trojan horse? It might not do anything much but make the enemy think they are under attack or something.

Somewhere in there you get Leonardo Davinci wings you can pump with athletics and hand pedals ;)

and at the high end???? not sur

I want this as a practice ... I will definitely be featuring DaVinci art in the pdf if i do.

Sure, I'm just saying, these things fall into that realm of 'fantastical'. You can kind of lampshade them as 'non-magical constructions' but nothing like that would work IRL, so there's SOMETHING fantastic about them. Again, I am just having a harder and harder time with the differentiation between ritual and practice in most cases. There ARE a few practices that are wholly non-magical and could work in the real world. That would be things like forgery, feats of leadership, remarkable endurance, and a number of others. I see those as being a FLAVOR reason for practices, just to call out how they are fodder for people building heroes that "don't use magic" or something along those lines, but most of the rest, I'm not really sure where I want to put them. Clockwork pretty much falls into that group for me.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I want to categorize some of the developments as flavored for martial artists ....some as bloodline magic expressing itself and some other effects.,..which are just plain badassery

The clock work creations seem a direct relate to how alchemy became chemistry...
clockwork became engineering

Sent from my XT1585 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Remove ads