Discovery Trailer

I had a bitch of a time watching this.
For an advertisement designed to build excitement, CBS didn't want people to see it...

Okay... I'll accept the use of the Enterprise assignment badge as the insignia, because it's just so recognisable as "Trek" that it makes no sense to go with another logo. It'd be odd not to have that.

And I'll accept the bridge and look of the ship begin better than the Enterprise (which would have been built and in service at this point, commanded by Pike). Because set design has improved. But... they could have done a little to make it less obviously better. Maybe more of a low tech submarine look...

But the uniforms bug me. Too blue. The highlights seem to be copper/ silver/ gold, but I'm uncertain if that's rank related or department related. It could be argued that sleek blue is bridging the gap between the blue of Star Trek: Enterprise and the colours of the Original Series, but the lack of division colours still bugs me. Yeah, we were *never* going to get the high collared sweaters of TOS pilot, but they could have found a happy medium.
Personally, I quite liked what they did for Beyond. The pajama-esque design made to look more like uniforms.

And the Klingons.... ugh
Okay, again, we were never going to get ridgeless TOS Klingons. Or acknowledgement of the Augment Virus from Enterprise (too deep of a cut). But the look of Klingons could have been closer to the look from the movies. All they needed was a slight update make-up.
The complete redesign is unnecessary and completely distracting. And busy. Oh so busy.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
I'm sorry but as a fan of Star Trek from back when TOS was first aired, this leaves me cold. They stage this in a time period things should be comfortingly familiar to those who have grown up with Star Trek, but they remove everything that would make it so? (No, that wasn't a pun.) I can see why CBS/Paramount landed so hard on "Axanar" now; it would have eviscerated this thing.

There's a problem with people who want to "make their mark" while playing with a much beloved property. They generally fail.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Looks interesting to me. And I see no reason to have the ship look like ToS at all. We know a lot more about computers amount other things.

To me, this would have been just fine:
DAEU9maUMAAcTSO.jpg

And it would been more interesting on the screen.
Currently, the muted blues and dark metal sets are very grim and bleak for Star Trek. Visually it's very different from the bright, vibrant colours of the Kelvin Reality (aka the Abrams movies).

Remove the Trek logo on the shirts and it looks like any generic space TV show done in the last twenty years.

While a parody, this looks soooo much more like Star Trek than Discovery:
seth-macfarlane-adrianne-palicki-the-orville.jpg

But, really, the design of the Klingons just bugs me the most...
lons.jpg

Those look like any of a dozen generic, uninspired, and boring bumpy headed aliens from Voyager. Generic evil warrior aliens.
Where the hell is their hair?! Their beards?
And the overdesigned uniforms/ armour. Ugh. It would have been soooo easy to just look at the original Klingon uniforms and change some fabric, add some texture/ armour and make it look good. Or just use the designs of Klingons from any of the classic movies - all of which still hold up very well.

Ryujin

Legend
Looks interesting to me. And I see no reason to have the ship look like ToS at all. We know a lot more about computers amount other things.

Sure, there are things that can be updated a bit without losing the feel of the thing, but there's a whole bunch here that's been updated to the point that it doesn't feel like the source material anymore. The look and feel of "Enterprise", for example, was on par with what you would expect of something from its time period in canon, without looking out of place in the series' continuity. Instead of toggle switches and little light-up coloured plastic blocks (which were often visibly out of alignment), for example, you could have actual functioning touch panels. Our current cultural fascination with blue and blue-white LEDs doesn't do the visuals any service. For a spaceship the idea of such an expansive bridge, with so much wasted space, is rather jarring against other almost claustrophobic bridges from some previous shows. It's also something that I felt wasn't right in "Next Generation", but at least that ship was orders of magnitude larger than previous ships bearing the same name.

And then there's the Klingons...... :(

Ryujin

Legend
But, really, the design of the Klingons just bugs me the most...

Those look like any of a dozen generic, uninspired, and boring bumpy headed aliens from Voyager. Generic evil warrior aliens.
Where the hell is their hair?! Their beards?
And the overdesigned uniforms/ armour. Ugh. It would have been soooo easy to just look at the original Klingon uniforms and change some fabric, add some texture/ armour and make it look good. Or just use the designs of Klingons from any of the classic movies - all of which still hold up very well.

Yes, they look very much like a random alien race suffering from the "throw some rubber genitalia in their heads" Next Generation school of thought. They spend decades building an iconic appearance and culture for the Klingons and then throw the whole thing in the nearest dunny. With a series set in this time period I would hope to see something like the "Imperial Klingon" stock get hit with that virus that they don't talk about or, my preference, the hybridization with a more human looking humanoid race, as was described in the old Star Trek RPG to explain why they look like they do in TOS.

Yes, they look very much like a random alien race suffering from the "throw some rubber genitalia in their heads" Next Generation school of thought. They spend decades building an iconic appearance and culture for the Klingons and then throw the whole thing in the nearest dunny. With a series set in this time period I would hope to see something like the "Imperial Klingon" stock get hit with that virus that they don't talk about or, my preference, the hybridization with a more human looking humanoid race, as was described in the old Star Trek RPG to explain why they look like they do in TOS.

That actually came up in Season 4 of Star Trek Enterprise, where they showed the creation of the virus and it infecting Klingons and them losing their ridges.

That whole season was pretty good.

Remove ads