Pathfinder 1E Returning to D&D 3.75 er I mean Pathfinder

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Well, I really tried to get into D&D 5E, DM'ed it for 2 years in total and it just seemed way to simplistic as I gained more experience playing it. It lacked depth, the art work was just god awful, it basically and as much as I tried to like it, just was not my players nor my cup o joe.

With D&D 3.75, I feel I am back in familiar ground, the players have a ton of options to make the character they truly want to play and have fun both making their character and having fun. I on the other hand can now craft some really unique foes to put up against my players and have fun doing that though I will admit, D&D 3.75 is a DM's Admin nightmare at times and there is no doubt about that.

One other thing that really impressed me about D&D 3.75 was seeing on utube the Paizo owners actually playing their products and really seemed to enjoy themselves. Does the WoTC CEO or Hasbro CEO do that? Probably not.

Anyway, cant wait to dive into D&D 3.75 and have a ton of fun.

ccs

41st lv DM
You know, just typing PF would sufice.

Anyways, welcome back to the version of the game you like best.

As you continue to play Pathfinder, you may instead come to realize that it has the opposite problem from 5E, in that it is too fiddly and complex. It might seem like everything is fine right now, but see if you're still feeling that way when someone spends 10gp on a (single use) chew toy that gives their animal companion a +1 bonus on the next bite attack they make (whether or not that attack is successful).

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Yeah welcome back to the more creative game. :cool:

You can cut down on the admin nightmare by making up lots of stuff about NPCs and monsters as you go along, even things not in the rules. That way, you can be sure your players can't look up monsters either, which, in times of the internet, is a well known problem.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Totally agree here, I am loathed to run published adventures just because somewhere on the net there are pdf's available and believe me, it is not hard to find and I am not technology savvy. Dont get me wrong, there are some really good adventures out there but if I do use a published adventure I know I will have to change things up. I also agree, alot more creativity with D&D 3.75 than D&D 5E, I think I just got tired of trying to determine who had advantage vs disadvantage at every turn of my campaign: "DM, I am on a slight 2 foot rise, I should get advantage........." ugh.

Scott

Yeah welcome back to the more creative game. :cool:

You can cut down on the admin nightmare by making up lots of stuff about NPCs and monsters as you go along, even things not in the rules. That way, you can be sure your players can't look up monsters either, which, in times of the internet, is a well known problem.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Hehee... I adapted advantage into or PF games but with stricter rules and it only happens if I announce it, so everyone is happy :)

Totally agree here, I am loathed to run published adventures just because somewhere on the net there are pdf's available and believe me, it is not hard to find and I am not technology savvy. Dont get me wrong, there are some really good adventures out there but if I do use a published adventure I know I will have to change things up. I also agree, alot more creativity with D&D 3.75 than D&D 5E, I think I just got tired of trying to determine who had advantage vs disadvantage at every turn of my campaign: "DM, I am on a slight 2 foot rise, I should get advantage........." ugh.

Scott
That should have taken you half a second to just say "no". After they ask ten times, tell them to read the rules and until they actually know and use them the answer will always be no.

In my experience, PF has thousands of more rules and possible interpretations than 5E, so if you don't like them asking about advantage, I can't imagine how you will be happier about more complexities and rules.

Tovec

Explorer
Hehee... I adapted advantage into or PF games but with stricter rules and it only happens if I announce it, so everyone is happy :)

Could you give examples of when you use ADV of PF? Do you also use DisADV? Obviously the base mechanics of PF don't cite it, so I think that cuts down on the glut of it from 5e - I have issues with how often it shows up in 5e, but I've also been considering doing something similar in my PF game. So, I'm interested to hear when you call for it.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Haven't added it to all of my groups yet, but basically, ADV and DisADV replace many of the conditions where you would otherwise subtract or add, like wearing armor/fighting with weapons you aren't proficient with, or equipment you have which often doesn't even have any bonus specified. It also replaces subtracting or adding when you are on low or high ground. The conditions specified in 5e (petrified, blind, etc) also give advantage. Depending on the situation, they might get advantage when aiding each other, or disadvantages on tasks obviously harder (big creatures through small spaces, creatures with unprotected feathers underwater etc).

Most of those things are GM call, very few are automatic. Any feats, traits etc specifying numbers are not subject to this.

JoeElf

First Post
These are all Pathfinder options to roll two d20's and take the better [advantage] or worse [disadvantage], but really limited number of times per day compared to D&D 5E.

Luck cleric domain granted power for level 1 = Bit of Luck
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/domains/paizo---domains/luck-domain/
[1 round of advantage]

Witch Hex of Fortune
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...publishers/hexes/common-hexes/hex-fortune-su/
{note: URL says 3rd-party, but this is from Paizo}
[1 round of advantage]

Witch Hex of Misfortune
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/bas...lishers/hexes/common-hexes/hex-misfortune-su/
{note: URL says 3rd-party, but this is from Paizo}
[1 round of disadvantage]

Remove ads