Explorer
A WIP - I'd appreciate some feedback.
Thanks in advance.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/ByQwUAh2eb

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 6.45.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 6.45.24 PM.png

CAFRedblade

Explorer
Not sure what your campaign world looks like, if these as PC's will be hitting surface. But Illithids are pretty hated across the board. Everyone will be afraid or want to kill the PC(s). Maybe some social skill penalty?

For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe..
So that may require some playtesting.
For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Not sure what your campaign world looks like, if these as PC's will be hitting surface. But Illithids are pretty hated across the board. Everyone will be afraid or want to kill the PC(s). Maybe some social skill penalty?
I think the same could be said for a drow, orc, or yuan-ti PC, but I can see that as balancing opportunity.
Maybe disadvantage on Charisma (persuasion) on any non-illithid.

For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
I like that.

The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe.
Yeah. I have players that have been asking to play these so we'll get to that.
Maybe their sunlight sensitivity also reduces their movement.

For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?
Or maybe just Deep Speech and Undercommon except for Alhoons which don't get telepathy.

Thanks

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I think the same could be said for a drow, orc, or yuan-ti PC, but I can see that as balancing opportunity.
Maybe disadvantage on Charisma (persuasion) on any non-illithid.

I like that.

The ability score penalty might be too harsh, on the other hand they get some nice traits, bordering on overpowered maybe.
Yeah. I have players that have been asking to play these so we'll get to that.
Maybe their sunlight sensitivity also reduces their movement.

Or maybe just Deep Speech and Undercommon except for Alhoons which don't get telepathy.

Thanks

ThunderDM

Banned
Banned
Elon Tusk, I know you. I'm not going away. When boys bullied you in school did you just cover your ears and kick your feet and ignore them? You've been trying to make a mind flayer PC race for months and I've always been there, along with all the others, telling you how terrible the idea was. It's stupid and absurd. I know you are reading this, just like you read my other posts on /tg/ about this.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Elon Tusk, I know you. I'm not going away. When boys bullied you in school did you just cover your ears and kick your feet and ignore them? You've been trying to make a mind flayer PC race for months and I've always been there, along with all the others, telling you how terrible the idea was. It's stupid and absurd. I know you are reading this, just like you read my other posts on /tg/ about this.

Harassment is *not* tolerated here.

cmad1977

Hero

What an embarrassing and useless post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ganymede81

First Post
I'm really not sure that letting a player start a PC as a level one quasi-lich aberration is a good idea, even if its stat block was gutted and replaced with copy-pastes from other PHB races.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases