D&D 5E Illithid PC

Especially since I have no idea who ThinderDM is, just created the Illithid PC yesterday on a lark, and have never heard of /tg/.

TG is the tabletop Games section of 4chan. Which ThunderDM still seems to think he is on by his posts.

Elon, you and your jackbooted thugs might have won this round, but I'll be back!!!!!

Listen I agree that Mind Flayers as PC's is not a good idea. (They are far too powerful, alien and evil as a whole to make a good PC race in my opinion.) But you can't belittle and insult people. Calling people thugs and harassing the person who the started the thread.

I reported Thunder and hope he gets banned.

On topic; I don't think I would allow a player to choose such, but that's because of the campaigns I run.

But, I think you are on the right path here. I haven't done any balance considerations, but I like the flavor and the Lack of Initiative feature. Nice work.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
I reported Thunder and hope he gets banned.

On topic; I don't think I would allow a player to choose such, but that's because of the campaigns I run.

But, I think you are on the right path here. I haven't done any balance considerations, but I like the flavor and the Lack of Initiative feature. Nice work.

One of my campaigns is definitely non-traditional and wild with a kitchen-sink attitude.
I created a Beholder PC a few months ago at one player's request.
Another then asked for an Illithid.
I feel comfortable balancing these as a DM, but I know many folks wouldn't.
I just thought I'd share for those that might.

ThunderDM

Banned
Banned
Jesus Christ you get banned around here for joking around and fakeposting? Is this a normie board? I just want to post and be free. I don't care if you make a :):):):):):) race and stat it out and all that. I just wanna talk about 5e and make posts with my friends irl. You guys really want me banned? I get quoted, XPs and laughs pretty often. I don't wanna hurt no body. Chaotic Neutral posting isn't welcomed????

MechaPilot

Explorer
For Lack of Initiative: perhaps utilize Permanent Disadvantage instead of always going last. Gives players a chance to surprise themselves when they act first.
The ability score penalty might be too harsh . . . . So that may require some playtesting.
For languages, maybe give em Deep Speech and Undercommon, then each one gets an option for common or a more exotic language?

I agree with all of those comments.

Virtually always going last (which will happen unless the campaign's enemy selection is going to be very Illithid centric) would suck. At least disadvantage on initiative gives you a chance of beating a particularly slow enemy or two, or more in situations where you would otherwise have had advantage.

I do think the stat penalties are too harsh. Sure, the Str penalty is largely not going to matter; the character will likely be pursuing a non-Str-focused class anyway. But, the Dex penalty hurts, especially since most int-based classes have lower HPs. And, of course, the Con penalty of the other two subraces hurts across the board. The only trait the race gets that really seems terribly powerful is magic resistance (in the Alhoon subrace).

The race's Mind Blast is, apart from dealing half-damage on a save, largely equivalent to a single-target, limited-use cantrip with awful range. I'd drop the half-damage on a save and include some kind of rider to beef it up a little bit; maybe removing the ability to take reactions until the end of the Illithid's next turn. I'd probably also create a racial feat that makes the ability an AoE cone attack and that imposes disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks on anyone who fails the save by 5+ until the end of the Illithid's next turn.

The Tentacles trait is, honestly, just a melee weapon replacement. It has precious little mechanical value, but does some heavy-lifting flavor-wise.

Also, why does the telepathy have such a short range? I'd have them all with a range no shorter than 30 feet. What I'd probably be most inclined to do is have it be dependent upon the character's Int score, say, 30 feet +5 feet per point of Int modifier.

Remove ads