D&D 5E Illithid PC

Elon Tusk

Explorer
Virtually always going last (which will happen unless the campaign's enemy selection is going to be very Illithid centric) would suck. At least disadvantage on initiative gives you a chance of beating a particularly slow enemy or two, or more in situations where you would otherwise have had advantage.
I changed it to disadvantage; changes can be seen at the link at the top of the thread.

The only trait the race gets that really seems terribly powerful is magic resistance (in the Alhoon subrace).
That was a trait taken from the Yuan-ti PC because it seemed to fit the Alhoon.

The race's Mind Blast is, apart from dealing half-damage on a save, largely equivalent to a single-target, limited-use cantrip with awful range. I'd drop the half-damage on a save and include some kind of rider to beef it up a little bit; maybe removing the ability to take reactions until the end of the Illithid's next turn. I'd probably also create a racial feat that makes the ability an AoE cone attack and that imposes disadvantage on attack rolls and ability checks on anyone who fails the save by 5+ until the end of the Illithid's next turn.
The Mind Blast mechanics where illithid flavor over a Dragonborn breath weapon mechanics.

The Tentacles trait is, honestly, just a melee weapon replacement. It has precious little mechanical value, but does some heavy-lifting flavor-wise.
Tentacles were derived from Tabaxi claws except for the Ulitharid's long tentacles which are its main feature.

Also, why does the telepathy have such a short range? I'd have them all with a range no shorter than 30 feet. What I'd probably be most inclined to do is have it be dependent upon the character's Int score, say, 30 feet +5 feet per point of Int modifier.
I just tried to balance telepathy with other sub-race features so the magic resistant Alhoons don't get telepathy, the common do but with Mind Blast I nerfed it (I'm considering changing it back 30' though), and the Ulitharid got full 30' range.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I changed it to disadvantage; changes can be seen at the link at the top of the thread.

Okay. Cool.

That was a trait taken from the Yuan-ti PC because it seemed to fit the Alhoon.

I'm not saying it doesn't fit them (I don't know enough about the Alhoon to say), I'm just pointing out that it's the only ability that seems like it does mechanical work as far as making the race more powerful.

The Mind Blast mechanics where illithid flavor over a Dragonborn breath weapon mechanics.

If I recall correctly, wasn't the mind blast originally a cone effect in older editions like AD&D 2e? http://www.lomion.de/cmm/mindflay.php

But, even if you want to make it single-target, my point was simply that the version you have needs something to beef it up. An ability that's arguably on-par with a cantrip really should refresh more quickly than on a short or long rest. If nothing about the ability were to change, I'd probably grant two or three uses per short rest instead of just one.

Tentacles were derived from Tabaxi claws except for the Ulitharid's long tentacles which are its main feature.

My comment about the tentacles was not intended as a criticism. It was simply a description of why I feel the ability bears no consideration when examining the power of the Illithid PC race option.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's the quickest reply on earth for an innocent man with nothing to prove. It's you. You think I'm stupid? It's you. Stop posting that trash across all the 5e forums and spare us your autism.

OK, go away, please. This harassing behaviour is not tolerated here, and you've already been warned once. Goodbye.

Everybody else, please do not respond to ThunderDM's earlier posts. He won't be responding.

transtemporal

Explorer
One of my campaigns is definitely non-traditional and wild with a kitchen-sink attitude.
I created a Beholder PC a few months ago at one player's request.
Another then asked for an Illithid.
I feel comfortable balancing these as a DM, but I know many folks wouldn't.
I just thought I'd share for those that might.

I could see this working in a gonzo planescape campaign, since Sigil is full of enough weird races that beholder or an illithid wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

Elon Tusk

Explorer
If I recall correctly, wasn't the mind blast originally a cone effect in older editions like AD&D 2e?
But, even if you want to make it single-target, my point was simply that the version you have needs something to beef it up. An ability that's arguably on-par with a cantrip really should refresh more quickly than on a short or long rest. If nothing about the ability were to change, I'd probably grant two or three uses per short rest instead of just one.
http://www.lomion.de/cmm/mindflay.php
MM Mind Flayer reads: "Mind Blast (Recharge 5-6). The mind flayer magically emits psychic energy in a 60-foot cone. Each creature in that area must succeed on a DC 15 Intelligence saving throw or take 22 (4d8 + 4) psychic damage and be stunned for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns , ending the effect on itself on a success."
I nerved it from a cone to a single creature, but it should probably stay a cone - then it's almost exactly the same as a Dragonborn breath weapon except deals psychic damage.

My comment about the tentacles was not intended as a criticism. It was simply a description of why I feel the ability bears no consideration when examining the power of the Illithid PC race option.
I didn't take it as criticism; I was just stating the origin of the feature.

I appreciate your feedback.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
OK, go away, please. This harassing behaviour is not tolerated here, and you've already been warned once. Goodbye.

Everybody else, please do not respond to ThunderDM's earlier posts. He won't be responding.

Good job. That is about the worst example of rudeness and harassment I have seen on this forum.

Remove ads